X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aman74
    • Aug 2010

Statement Monitors for a lower cost...

I came across an older post somewhere and Jim had mentioned alternative parts that lowered the price of the Statements by about $100.00. Not sure if that was for the Mini's or the originals.

I was wondering if there was a list like this for the Monitors or even where I could find the list for the other models as well.

Also, if anyone can direct me to some cabinet makers who could do some reasonably priced cabs that would be great as well. I've found one, but would like to see what all my options are.

Thanks!
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by aman74
    I came across an older post somewhere and Jim had mentioned alternative parts that lowered the price of the Statements by about $100.00. Not sure if that was for the Mini's or the originals.

I was wondering if there was a list like this for the Monitors or even where I could find the list for the other models as well.

Also, if anyone can direct me to some cabinet makers who could do some reasonably priced cabs that would be great as well. I've found one, but would like to see what all my options are.

Thanks!
    Actually, the cost cutting was for the Mini's due to a very large cap in the woofer circuit that "could" have an electrolytic substituted in place of the poly cap. The rest of the Statements do not use that large of caps and I can't really recommend switching out polys for electrolytic's.

The savings would not be great enough to mess with and take a chance on negatively impacting sound quality, IMHO.

Sorry, I can't help you with a cabinet builder.

Jim

Comment

• looneybomber
      • May 2007

aman, where do you live? It's worth mentioning because shipping even empty cabs will be quite expensive.

If you were close to Topeka and had the time to wait, I'd like to build some, that way I could listen and compare them to my Dynamic 4T (mk2).

...Oh, for some reason I was thinking full size statements and not monitors.

Comment

• aman74
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
        Actually, the cost cutting was for the Mini's due to a very large cap in the woofer circuit that "could" have an electrolytic substituted in place of the poly cap. The rest of the Statements do not use that large of caps and I can't really recommend switching out polys for electrolytic's.

The savings would not be great enough to mess with and take a chance on negatively impacting sound quality, IMHO.

Sorry, I can't help you with a cabinet builder.

Jim
        Thanks Jim, so the switching of caps is ok for the mini's though? I thought in that post it said it would have no impact on the sound.

I actually may end up with the mini's if I can get them built locally. I have to check again, but it seemed the parts cost wasn't that different once I saw your reduced price version. Also, with the monitors I may have to have stands built or buy them so it seems the cost may be almost the same. I don't imagine it would cost much more to build them as it's only one more hole and the extra MDF is pretty cheap.

Comment

• aman74
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by looneybomber
          aman, where do you live? It's worth mentioning because shipping even empty cabs will be quite expensive.

If you were close to Topeka and had the time to wait, I'd like to build some, that way I could listen and compare them to my Dynamic 4T (mk2).

...Oh, for some reason I was thinking full size statements and not monitors.
          I'm in Cleveland, but thanks for the offer. I will update my profile so people can see where I'm from and maybe get some offers or references for cab makers. I'm going to start looking on Craigslist for carpenters and car audio guys who build boxes.

Hopefully my budget will allow this build, but if not, what does anyone recommend for maybe one step down? Possibly something I could even put in a PE cab and do it all myself and save even more, but get some great speakers. I'd say right now I'm leaning towards something full range as I favor music over HT, love HT as well, but if I had to prioritize I don't crave that crazy house shaking bass as much as I do exceptional music listening and something good enough for HT. Also, this way I wouldn't have to buy a sub. That is, unless there are great subs for around 200 or so either DIY or pre-made.

I guess I'm still a bit undecided on bookshelfs plus a sub or floorstanders. It all comes down to budget, but it could probably be done either way for about the same in some cases. That's why the monitors appealed as from what I can tell their bass output would probably satisfy me or come close, but if the mini's work out to be the same cost or less even because of no stands and possibly never needing a sub then I may go that route.

Sorry I ended up rambling and basically thinking out loud, but I'm sure many of you have been there.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by aman74
            Thanks Jim, so the switching of caps is ok for the mini's though? I thought in that post it said it would have no impact on the sound.
            Yes, The Mini's can use an electrolytic in the woofer circuit without any real impact on sound quality. They sound great, IMHO and have a lot of bass as designed. They won their class at Iowa DIY with the electrolytic in the circuit.

I just checked the BOM I put together last January and it totals $562 with the electrolytic cap. With a poly cap instead, it would be about $75 more.

Good luck with whatever you choose to build!

Jim

Comment

• aman74
              • Aug 2010

Thanks much!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"