My first attempt at speaker building (Days work with pics)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thea-masta
    • Feb 2009

My first attempt at speaker building (Days work with pics)

Hey all, today i attempted to construct my own center speaker.. Now ima' get straight to the point..im only young, this is my first speaker project, and i had limited use of tools and materials

I didnt really plan a design, just scrolled few of the featured ones on this site.
    So take a look and let me know what you think,, (Sorry about image quality)

It doesn't need bracing and its only a small cabinet however it will most definatly need a port somewhere.

Well im happy, i completed my very first speaker design (all be it very simple) and i now have a full 5.1 system!!! :B
    Attached Files
    _________
    Jon. opcorn:
  • Thea-masta
    • Feb 2009

Comments pleasee!
    _________
    Jon. opcorn:

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Thea-masta
      Comments pleasee!
      You need to give people more than 1/2 hour before demanding responses.... :roll:

It sounds like you just threw something together to throw something together. I understand that. If you want a port, you need to get the T/S parameters of those woofers and model the box in Unibox.

Lots of other comments we could make. But, I'm not sure what you're looking for.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Thea-masta
        • Feb 2009

I know i know, it was a spur of the moment sorta thing.

i have never constructed a "square" box in my entire life, turns out its not as easy as one would think. i know from the looks of it it sounds horrid, but i am not one those teenagers who hang around parks in their "cars" playing "music", i listen to real music and have a good ear for detail. In my Complete honest opinion? It reminds me of my dads old Celestions (cant think of what model) but the ones you have to turn upside down for them to sound anything half bad hehe.

Can you blame a guy for trying?
        (sorry about the eager-ism my first build )
        _________
        Jon. opcorn:

Comment

• cbark
          • Jan 2010

Since you are a teenager and it was your first atempt, great! Hope you had a good time creating something of your own. Same way I started. Although when I started, the internet didn't exist, and I spent countless hours researching in the library and buying books and studing and so on to build something just barely passable as a speaker. But I learned.

There is quite the "art" to this speaker making, or there would not be countless manufacturers doing just fine. But if you are interested in learning more, keep reading and educating yourself and you will be hooked to this hobby for the rest of your life....

and hopefully having fun doing so.

Comment

• Thea-masta
            • Feb 2009

Thanks for the support, I dreaammm to have custom speakers like most on here, rather than factory made ones. Like to call it my own, and i feel a proud of something i made and that i will enjoy for countless hours.
            _________
            Jon. opcorn:

Comment

• Brian Kingsbury
              • Sep 2009

I can't see the crossover. Where'd you get the parts and design for it?
              ;x( We're not worthy! ;x(

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Well a few days ago he bought a center channel at a pawn shop and it was a Jamo, seems he took that and put it in a new box?

Comment

• Thea-masta
                  • Feb 2009

Yeah, as Dougie said i took the parts from the Center channel i brought and put it in a new cabinet. Why? I cant stand speakers in a plastic house..and it kept rattling.

Brian - I used all the parts out of a Jamo center 50.
                  _________
                  Jon. opcorn:

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                    • Sep 2009

Ah, I see.

Oh,and time to get a new camera. :P :P
                    -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• Thea-masta
                      • Feb 2009

Believe it or not its a 1080p camcorder, only 3 weeks old..dont understand why there such bad quality :/
                      _________
                      Jon. opcorn:

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

You have to focus the camera, or turn on auto focus if it has that ability

The other option is the lens isn't design to focus as close as you're holding the camera. If that's the case move back and use the zoom

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Thea-masta
                          • Feb 2009

This is the first time i used it! Gunna have to read through the user manual i think..
                          _________
                          Jon. opcorn:

Comment

• FroDaddy
                            • Mar 2006

A few things... Most tweeters are sealed, but make sure it is because you don't want the woofers to blow your tweeter out.

EDIT: Line the walls by placing/gluing the foam against the walls. It's not necessary to put insulation on the back of the front baffle, and also hold back the insulation an inch or two away from the woofers. Also try buying some "Polystuff" from Wal-Mart and stuff the box some. You might get better sound quality, and the materials are cheap.

You did fine on the box, much better than I did on my first attempt.

Comment

• Thea-masta
                              • Feb 2009

hmm, about these sealed tweeters? when you say 'Sealed' what exactly do you mean? in a compartment of there own? or..
                              _________
                              Jon. opcorn:

Comment

• FroDaddy
                                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Thea-masta
                                hmm, about these sealed tweeters? when you say 'Sealed' what exactly do you mean? in a compartment of there own? or..
                                Yea, just like if you were building a 3 way speaker you wouldn't want the midrange to share the same airspace as your woofers. But today it's probably rare that you'd have a tweeter that isn't self contained... I couldn't make out what was going on behind your tweeter in the pictures which is why I brought this up.

Comment

• Thea-masta
                                  • Feb 2009

Ohh, well i have never owned Speaker manufactured in the past 10 years, i know i know..its depressing. Still got the vintage B&W's and Missions
                                  _________
                                  Jon. opcorn:

Comment

• ---k---
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2005

This is how JonMarsh sealed his tweater in his ModulaMTM:

Not needed for all tweeters. The few that I've used have a sealed back. But doing this can't hurt.
                                    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Thea-masta
                                      • Feb 2009

Ohh, i get ya now! is it only necessary to do that in small cabinets im guessing? Due to the fact that theres not much room for the air to move about.
                                      _________
                                      Jon. opcorn:

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"