X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brausch
    • Jul 2010

Statment Speaker Placement

Thinking about building some mini statements for mains and surrounds. Before I do so, I wanted to check on the intended placement and make sure it would be alright. Here is a preliminary layout of the space I plan on finishing.

I should have plenty of room for the mains, but I was wondering if the surrounds need more room. Disregard any studs in the way of the speakers - they will be behind an AT screen.

I should mention I know the room layout isn't optimal by any means - therefore I am not expecting the world out of the setup. I just want a good sounding set of speakers to go with my open layout.

An additional question I did have was about shooting sound into a corner like shown above. Is that going to cause any huge headaches?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Yes the corner will be problematic, as is having listening positions where one's head is immediately in front of a wall.

Do you really need/want to give 1/2 the best acoustic space to a poker table?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• brausch
      • Jul 2010

I guess the reason we have that layout is to make sure both couches have a decent view of the screen. We often have people over for football games and general entertainment and one couch just isnt enough sitting room.

Here is a layout from earlier.

This plan leaves less room for the main speakers, and leaves me with few options for the surrounds.

Maybe I just need to convince my wife that a riser is the only feasible option for making the layout work. Her thoughts on a riser is that it limits the conversational opportunities with created by having couches in an 'L' configuration.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Are you making a home theater, or a 'rec room'?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• savage25xtreme
          • Dec 2008

i'm with you, think stadium seating! put the chicks in back so they can chat it up
          Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• brausch
            • Jul 2010

This is not going to be a dedicated home theater. Rec room would be the perfect way to describe it. I want to keep it open for decent sized (15 people) superbowl parties, etc.

Comment

• brausch
              • Jul 2010

I am still working on the layout of the basement, but had a question about the surround speakers. I was originally planning on building some version of statements for all speakers. But I am worried about the placement of the surrounds - I just dont think I have the room required (even for the close monitors).

I was thinking about purchasing some surround speakers that have a slimmer design. Maybe the Emotive ERD-1's...I was just wondering if they would sound okay for surrounds, or if there are better options to match the front statements.

Here is a floor plan I have been playing with ...

Not sure I really like it, but my hands are kind of tied with the furnace and stairwell locations. You can, however, see my predicament regarding side surround speaker placement...just not really a good place to put a bigger statement speaker.

Any questions/comments are very much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"