X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jszmgpolk
    • May 2010

Curved cabinets

Anyone know if someone has built the Natalie P in a curved enclosure. Or where I might find links to build threads.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Are you asking about the PE curved cabinets or custom cabinets?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• bbcmp1979
      • Dec 2009

I don't remember seeing a curve natalie ps enclosure, but did see the curved cabinets at partsexpress as Thomas said.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

PE's curved cabinets didn't exist when the NatP was developed. but the design will certainly work in them.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• jszmgpolk
          • May 2010

Im wanting to do a tower with the curved design. I have searched and not seen anything. I have no software to design the enclosure. I know how to build the curved design if i only had the dimensions. Could someone help or am I gonna have to wing this.

I guess what im asking is. The 50l design that is suggested is the one I would like to build except with curved cabinets. I know this will change the volume and I need to keep the baffle the same. If I keep the baffle the suggested 9" and curve the sides, will this increase the volume too much. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Generally, the problem is that curved cabinets REDUCE the size of the volume, if the front panel is the same width. An easy way to rule of thumb it is to use a similar trapezoid to calculate the area, times the internal height. Translam constructions also complicate things a bit because of the typical internal braces, but it's not like a 15% difference in volume is going to have a huge effect on the behavior.
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• jszmgpolk
              • May 2010

So do you think I should just stick with the original design, this is my first diy project but like the design of the curved sides to please the wife. Do you think the curved sides would not be a good idea for the Natalie in the tower.

Comment

• ---k---
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2005

There is nothing wrong with curved sides. It is just a lot harder construction. A lot of people have done them. I can't remember the NatP, but someone has probably done it. There have been lots of threads that discuss curved construction techniques. I'm sorry you can't find them using the search. Should be there.
                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• bbcmp1979
                  • Dec 2009

When I was in the planning process for the natalie p, I scour the WWW for information on it and I don't ever remember seeing built in a curved cabinet. I'm sure there are built Nat P w/curved cabinet but probably isn't posted. I think that 50L is 50L whether it's a curved cabinet or not. You'll probably have more advantages like reduced standing waves, etc...

Comment

• sprtfan
                    • May 2006

There is a nice looking mock up of a Nat P on google sketchup with curved cabinets. I'm not sure if they were ever built though. I'm not sure how useful the mock up would be either but you might be able to contact they guy that uploaded them.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                      • Jan 2009

I posted a thread a bit ago showing my progress on a laminated curved cab for a pair of 4Ts I want to build. I actually recently decided to scrap that method (which I was still proud of coming up with), as I have no ingterest in cutting out, triming, and gluing 120+ pieces for the cabinets... now I'm going for a construction similar to the boat building thread here. Basically, it's a frame using hardboard for the sides. I'll post pics when I have time.

The trick is figuring put the area you need for the cross section. If the height is the same, the area of the inside of the square cabinet should equal the area of the curved cabinet. I don't to CAD or anything, so I just bought some graph paper and made a rough outline of what i want using full square inches. Get close to your total area, and the filler space in the smoothed out profile should be pretty close. Then it's time to make some templates.

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by jszmgpolk
                        Im wanting to do a tower with the curved design. I have searched and not seen anything.
                        Unfortunately there's been a corruption in the forum's data-base so currently the search function isn't working properly.

The may not be curved version of the NatP but there are curved versions of designs that are similar to and can be adapted to the NatP..

The threads for these designs are still on the forum but until the search function is fixed it's problematic to find them, unless the builder accidentally stumbles your thread and posts a link to their build.

When the search issue is resolved we'll show you these designs

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• fbov
                          • Jun 2008

Anyone know if someone has built the Natalie P in a curved enclosure. Or where I might find links to build threads.
                          With all due respect, you're in the wrong place for step-by-step instructions.

The idea of DIY is to look at someone else's design, see what they did, then make one (or more) for yourself. There are many curved box build threads here and at other DIY speaker sites. Most likely, you'll see buld techniques that will allow you to make your own design. You already understand the cricital parameters.

Whether you design your own or find a build thread for a 50L box that's 9" wide, you just mount the NatP driver per the baffle layout to make it a curved-sided NatP!

Have fun,
                          Frank

Comment

• snmhanson
                            • Jun 2010

Im wanting to do a tower with the curved design. I have searched and not seen anything. I have no software to design the enclosure. I know how to build the curved design if i only had the dimensions. Could someone help or am I gonna have to wing this.

I guess what im asking is. The 50l design that is suggested is the one I would like to build except with curved cabinets. I know this will change the volume and I need to keep the baffle the same. If I keep the baffle the suggested 9" and curve the sides, will this increase the volume too much. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
                            I have drawn plans on Autocad for a curved Statement Monitor design that I am going to build (someday). My design tapers to the rear so that the rear width is about 1/2 the front width similar to the PE/Dayton curved cabinets. Not sure if that is your plan or if your sides are simply going to curve out with the front and back being the same width. Anyway, I did the math on my design to determine the area of the box as if the sides were not curved and then just kind of estimated how much area the curved "slivers" contained. I adjusted my height slightly to compensate for the difference in area because of the curve - I had to make it taller as the taper decreased the volume. I know there is a mathmatical way to get the exact volume but I am too lazy to figure it out and figure that as long as I'm within a few cubic inches I'll be fine.

I recently built a subwoofer with the same basic design previous to this and it turned out just fine, although it was sealed and volume isn't as critical as with other speakers. One idea that was proposed to me was to build the speaker with straight sides all the way around to make construction and volume measurement easier and then to add false curved sides. If you want to be exact in your measurements maybe this could be a solution?

I would be happy to take a shot at drawing a rough sketch of your internal dimensions on Autocad if you would like. I can probably break the interior footprint down enough to get a pretty accurate measurement for area. Then you could multiply the area by the height and factor out any bracing and driver volumes to come up with actual volume. PM me if you would like me to give it a try.

Matt

Comment

• jszmgpolk
                              • May 2010

Thanks for the help guys! Sorry if I posted in the wrong place. Where should I post for guidance.

Thanks bigguyz I think ill do what you suggest and when I start my build ill try to update with pictures if you guys are interested.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                                • Jan 2009

I know I'm definitely interested. I don't know what the deal is, but I love build threads. But then again I'm a builder, not a designer! I think there's enough for both pieces to be in the forum. The description doesn't say it's for design only...

Comment

• meb46
                                  • Jul 2010

I'm partially way through building a curved sided Cabinet set but this is based on my own design not Natalie P. I had designed mine using a 2D CAD program "Solid Edge" and this calaculates the area of the enclosure and then you can easily work out the volume based on the height. I also turned my design into a 3D Model in Solid Works which works out the volume inclusive of all internal bracing etc, so its pretty accurate. "Solid Edge" is very easy to pick up and this is Free software available on the web (quite sizeable though) that will calculate the area of any cabinet profile and you can then just multiply it my your height etc. This assumes its a common profile over the entire height.

Mike

Comment

• jszmgpolk
                                    • May 2010

thanks meb46

How hard is the program to use. I have never used a cad based program

Comment

• meb46
                                      • Jul 2010

It's super simple... I started learning from scratch and managed to get the basics drawn and measured within a couple of hours. the basic tutorial lets you learn the absolute minimum in about 45 mins, well enough so you can calculate some volumes etc.

Comment

• jszmgpolk
                                        • May 2010

Im going to increase the 42" height on the 50l design to 46" to compensate for the loss of volume due to the curved sides. Can someone suggest the port length I need to use or is this something I need to play with.

Comment

• BobEllis
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Dec 2005

Thanks for the help guys! Sorry if I posted in the wrong place. Where should I post for guidance.
                                          This is the right place. I don't think fbov was saying you won't get help here, just that you shouldn't expect what amount to fully developed kits or a design service. (Some of the missions accomplished plans come pretty darned close to kits, though) Ask questions, we'll give you guidance to make YOUR OWN decisions.

If you run into trouble you'll find plenty of help. But this is DIY, get out there and start making something, and learn from the things that don't go as you'd have hoped. The build process is as much of the fun for me as the finished product. Model the enclosure volume in one of the design program and post your proposed port length. Someone will be sure to check your work.

Comment

• jszmgpolk
                                            • May 2010

I have downloaded unibox but am unable to do anything I guess because I have Win 7 and the excel version is 2010. I see that unibox uses excel 2000. Any suggestions.

Comment

• BobEllis
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Dec 2005

I'd think excel 2010 could open 2000 files. Perhaps you need to add some of the tool packages.

From http://audio.claub.net/software/kougaard/ubmodel.html

Please remember to go to Tools | Options | Security | Macro Security and set the level to Medium to ensure all the macros are allowed to run.
                                              You can also use WinISD or another package.

Comment

• jszmgpolk
                                                • May 2010

Inductors

Is there any sonic advantage to using the perfect layer 14 gauge inductors or would the Jantzen 15 gauge inductors be suitable for the Natalie P near wall x-over?

Comment

• jszmgpolk
                                                  • May 2010

pictures

I have started my cabinets and taken pictures but when i try to download them it says the file is to big. How do I download the pix

Comment

• looneybomber
                                                    • May 2007

Upload them to Photo-bucket.com and paste the link here.
                                                    Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 21:19 Saturday. Reason: Update text

Comment

• BigguyZ
                                                      • Jan 2009

I've always used a freeware program called pictray. Very easy to use (drag and drop), and you can quickly re-size pictures that way.

Comment

• cobblepots
                                                        • May 2008

I have downloaded unibox but am unable to do anything I guess because I have Win 7 and the excel version is 2010. I see that unibox uses excel 2000. Any suggestions.
                                                        You should be able to run it in compatability mode. Right click on the executable and choose compatability or something like that... I'm at the office and don't have Win 7 in front of me. You should be able to choose different operating systems in the pull down. Pick XP SP2 or SP3 and see what happens.

Comment

• ---k---
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Nov 2005

Is there any sonic advantage to using the perfect layer 14 gauge inductors or would the Jantzen 15 gauge inductors be suitable for the Natalie P near wall x-over?
                                                          There is no sonic benefit. But, the 14 gauge will have a lower DCR and therefore more bass. The point of the on-wall is to reduce the mass to compensate for being nearer to the wall. This is something that may need to be experimented with (or corrected with the receiver EQ).
                                                          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                                          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                                          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• bigbardmusiq
                                                            • Jul 2010

here's a curved design! http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=218438

Comment

• fbov
                                                              • Jun 2008

Originally posted by BobEllis
                                                              This is the right place. I don't think fbov was saying you won't get help here, just that you shouldn't expect what amount to fully developed kits or a design service. ...
                                                              +1 This is what I intended to convey; thanks for translating.

Lots of help available, albeit with long pauses inbetween, for those not checking the forum daily (hourly?).

Frank

Comment

Working...
                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                              Search Result for "|||"