X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rolyasm
    • Dec 2004

Need driver advice

Hi all,
    Have not posted in awhile. Looking for more IB driver advice. I have a friend in Missouri working on a new house and his second IB (the first one I helped him on was amazing). Not sure if it is large enough, but I know you'll have the answers. The only space he has is by building the front wall out, which he intends to make 14" deep by 8 feet high by 12 feet wide. Just looking for advice on drivers and if the space is large enough. Preferably 15" and he'll probably use the Behringer 2500 uless something else appeals more. Thanks for your time.

Rolyasm
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi,

He can do a large sealed box, this means using more generic woofers with a lower Vas compared to IB specific drivers with their high Vas

How big is the room?

The EP2500 has been replaced by the EP4000

BTW regarding follow up questions. I don't provide support when IB sub threads are cross posted on other forums.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Rolyasm
      • Dec 2004

Hey Thomas,
      Thanks. The room is 12 wide 16 deep and 8 high and that is figuring the wall being built out. Good to know about the Behringer. I will try to research that a bit more to determine if it is just a name change, or an upgrade, and if there are good deals on either, but I won't waste your time with the amp.
      He would be very able to create the sealed box.
      Thanks for your time. I have removed the crossed thread.

Rolyasm

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Thanks....

The amp is basically just a name change.

Is this a 'keep it low cost build' or can he go with something more expensive than dedicated IB drivers?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Rolyasm
          • Dec 2004

I think if quality and bass extension were on a scale with cost, he would rather tip the scale a bit towards quality. On the last IB we did together, we used 4 15" drivers and the 2500 and I think we were around $800 to $1000, including the amp. This range would be suitable.

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Perhaps using a a pair of the Fi Q18" dual 2 ohm

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Rolyasm
              • Dec 2004

ooooohhhhhhh. I likey. I'll let him know. Thanks.

Rolyasm

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Those are a little more $pendy than the pure IB specific drivers from Fi, but using them he's free to put them in 'portable' sealed/ported boxes if need be...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Rolyasm
                  • Dec 2004

What would be the best enclosure to produce the best bass for these? I was planning on using the entire front wall as the box, making it air tight, or as much as humanly possible. Are you saying that if in the future he decides to take them out of the wall he can build a smaller sub box for them? Just not sure what you mean by "portable". Once he builds his sub, he will leave it there for at least a few years, when he plans to sell his house with the HT and sub included. Thanks Thomas.
                  Rolyasm

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

It needs to be airtight, braced and stiff construction like a box sub.

Are you saying that if in the future he decides to take them out of the wall he can build a smaller sub box for them?
                    Yes

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Rolyasm
                      • Dec 2004

Okay, I understand. So if he never plans to remove them, is there a cheaper IB option that would provide the same result? I know he has no intention of using them for anything but this build. Thanks.

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

His space is about 9.9X Vas for the Q drivers and 3X Vas for the IB drivers....

The IB version has a smaller motor therefore less thermal handling capacity and isn't as good a match for his space. Obviously he can use it, but were I building the sub I'd use the Q version...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Rolyasm
                          • Dec 2004

Thanks again Thomas.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"