X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • penngray
    • Sep 2007

MTM or TMM, with 2 10" woofers and a CD/waveguide

I have two 10" woofers and a waveguide.

I have a certain look I want and that means I can not do a MTM.

How bad is a TMM design? The reason for the MM is because I would like to double up the two 10" woofers to increase the sensitivity closer to the CD.

Maybe increasing the sensitivity is not important enough? Instead I could just do a 2.5 Design. with the 2nd 10" woofer helping with the BSC stuff.

Some guidance on my foolish thoughts is always appreciated
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

Generally speaking, a TMM is done in 2.5way configuration to avoid lobing issues that you would get when 2 midbasses are placed below the tweeter and share the same frequencies. As you know, in a 2.5way, the lower "M" is rolled off before the upper one to solve much of that issue, if done correctly. However, in your case, by using dual 10" woofers, you'll have to cross fairly low to avoid lobing issues even in a 2.5way configuration, because the lower woofer will be at quite a great distance away from a waveguide loaded tweeter.

Jed
    Last edited by Jed; 22 June 2010, 19:07 Tuesday.

Comment

• penngray
      • Sep 2007

I figured as much. Maybe I will insert a 6.5" above the 2 10" woofers.

Comment

• Paul W
        • Oct 2004

I agree with Jed's reasoning for not trying a 2-way TMM.

For the 3-way proposal, the 6.5" mid will determine the lower limit for the high end polar pattern (in other words, "directivity" will not extend very low). Match directivity of the 6.5 and WG at XO with a WG the same size or a bit larger than the mid and you should be "good to go".
        Paul

Comment

• penngray
          • Sep 2007

Thanks paul, I figured the 6.5" would need a smaller waveguide.

Argg....there is always something. I have 10" round QSC waveguides ready for this project so I was thinking 10" mid range to match the size.

I guess I can go with one 10" for the mid and then figure out my bass requirements.

Comment

• Paul W
            • Oct 2004

I have a couple of (very low distortion) 18Sound 10NDA520's I'm not using. :W
            Paul

Comment

• penngray
              • Sep 2007

I just picked up Beyma 10BR60s but Im definitely interested.

What is the XO point for those with a 10" QSC waveguide?

I might have a hard time getting that waveguide down to far below 2KHz.

I will PM you. Thanks!

Comment

• Paul W
                • Oct 2004

I'd definitely keep it under 2k.
                Paul

Comment

• kevinp.
                  • Apr 2008

for what its worth, Klipsh has been doing 2 ways TMMs and TMMMs even for years. Never owned one, but I never heard anything objectionable in store auditions.
                  Penn you certainly have enough equipment to at least try it actively, no?

Comment

• penngray
                    • Sep 2007

Yes, I can do active so I can minimize problems, changing the delay per driver.

I have always been curious about TMM that exist. I know the theory is bad but in practice does it always matter?

This build isnt going to be my main set either so ultimate SQ isnt overly important, Im already using low cost CDs. Its just another build that Im not sure will go anywhere

Of course, I do not want to be a complete moron with it

Comment

• Dennis H
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Aug 2002

You could do an active-passive 2.5-way hybrid and save an amp channel. Put an inductor (coil) in series with the lower woofer. Run both woofers from the same amp and measure them together.

Comment

• penngray
                        • Sep 2007

I found this site with some great PA builds

Lautsprecher-Entwicklung, Selbstbau, Installation, Reparatur, Veranstaltungstechnik und Webshop. Main-Kinzig-Kreis - 36396 Steinau an der Straße.

You have to translate it from German, Google is awesome with that.

Click on the PA link in the left corner and there are some cool waveguide builds, measurements/XOs too.

The LMT-210 is the build Im interested in. It does a waveguide and two 10" woofers...the same layout as the one Im talking about here.

So the only question, how bad is the lob?

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"