Are my RD50 ribbons damaged? Pics inside...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • INFURNO
    • May 2010

Are my RD50 ribbons damaged? Pics inside...

Bought a pair of used RD50 ribbons on ebay and was guaranteed that the drivers were not abused and functionality undamaged.

They just came in and with a close look these ribbons look like hell. There are at least 25 spots where the ribbon appears to be strained and deformed. Two particular spots on both the ribbons show concentrated damage (below).

Before I file a dispute with ebay and paypal I wanted to have someone with some experience have a look at these and tell me if functionality has been compromised or if it's not as bad as it looks.

• ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

They're fine as long as they play music.

I see no damage or abuse, they all have little wiggles in the foil

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• INFURNO
      • May 2010

What concerns me most is not if they play music, but how well they would. I was worried that maybe these imperfections would impact how they sound. Create buzzing, rattle, distortion, or other problems at various frequencies. These are the first ribbons I have ever seen so I'm not sure what to look out for.

If these ripples are normal then that really puts me at ease. Thanks for the quick reply.

Comment

• ANYBUDDY
        • Jun 2010

Use 1/3 oactave wide pink noise signal (a few watts) around your cutoff frequency to check for audible distortion artefacts by ear , it is a very revealing test method for any transducer .

Most planar drivers have serious problems with this test , and these who fail cannot be considered to be Hi-Fi ...

good luck!

--------------------------

Link to mp3 download website removed by moderator
        Last edited by ThomasW; 13 June 2010, 01:33 Sunday.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"