X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Olli
    • Apr 2010

What DIY project next?

Hi all,

I built myself a pair of DIY ProAc Response 2.5 clones last year. I am very happy with them, but I am always thinking about he next step when it comes to DIY

Are there any other similarly well documented speaker projects out there which will yield superior sonic results? I am most interested in floorstanders and I love my bass. An element of style/subtlety (in the same way these ProAcs are quite slender, thus pleasing on the eye) would be awesome, but perhaps not 100% necessary

I notice that on these forums, a lot of people are designing speakers completely from scratch. As much as I would love to be able to do that, I have very little knowledge, so it would be a bit of a hit and miss thing most likely (unless I spend a LOT of time reading... But finding the time for that will probably be a longer term ambition).

Any advice/recommendations?

Cheers,
    Olli
  • Dean100
    • Jan 2007

Lots of documented projects here:http://www.htguide.com/forum/forumdisplay.php4?f=39

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

I had to google the ProArc 2.5 speakers. They appear to be a nice speaker with scanspeak drivers - so high end.

I think for us to provide you with good recommendations, we need to know your budget. That is the best place to start.

If your reference point is scanspeak drivers, I think you're going to want to be in the range of JonMarsh's Ardents or Modula Extreme - which I'm not sure is fully published yet.

There are other designs out there that use the higher end drivers. I'm just not that familiar with them. Most stuff I pay attention to is in that midrange or budget category. Check out Jed's Clearwave Audio. I think he has some designs that may fit the build.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• oneplustwo
        • Jan 2010

Olli,

I'm in a similar position as you. I've built Zaph Audio SR71's and now his ZDT 3.5. But now I'm thinking that a different style speaker might be interesting so I've been looking at dipole designs. The leading contender at the moment is undefinition's (Paul C) Sunflower design. Just a thought that thinking outside the box (pun intended) might be worth some time.
        Zaph SR-71
        Zaph ZDT 3.5
        Sunflower Redux
        12" Dayton HF sub
        CJD RS 150 MT
        Revelator bookshelf
        2x12 Guitar cab
        Corner loaded line array

Comment

• Olli
          • Apr 2010

Thanks for the link Dean. I did have a look at some of those, although there are an awful lot of them!

Yes, K, am am looking into the higher-end for this project; part of the reason I am conducting this research is to ensure I don't waste a lot of money My budget will be perhaps around the 2000GBP ($3000) mark all in (i.e. including cabinets). This is for a stereo pair, just to clarify.

I'll take a peek at what you have suggested, cheers.

Btw looking at your DP, K, I would guess that you don't spend AL your time in the budget/midrange category!

Edit: Oneplustwo (of head-fi/AMB forums fame? ): interesting point; I will certainly explore your suggestion. Thanks.

Comment

• oneplustwo
            • Jan 2010

umm, not sure about fame, but yes. ops:

with that kind of budget, you might also look at the linkwitz orion for what could be the penultimate dipole DIY project.
            Zaph SR-71
            Zaph ZDT 3.5
            Sunflower Redux
            12" Dayton HF sub
            CJD RS 150 MT
            Revelator bookshelf
            2x12 Guitar cab
            Corner loaded line array

Comment

• Bear
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2008

I have a pair of Jed's (Clearwave's) Minuet5 MTMs that I like quite a bit. They were not too drastic on the woodworking skills, though they did still take a bit of time even with pre-built cabinets. Part of the budget discussion should be the time budget as well as the dollar budget. If you have to outsource the cabinets, that can eat up driver/XO budget, but if you don't have a lot of time, that may be the preferred way to go.

For me, a center channel and then surround speakers are next on my agenda.
              Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• dmalphur
                • Jun 2007

I think that the cutting edge of speaker technology seems to be controlled directivity designs, ala the Linkwitz Orion or Geddes Summa.

If all the drivers I have in the closet were suddenly liquidated into an equivalent sum of money to spend on an entirely new project, I would build something along the lines of Geddes' designs or one of the offshoots inspired by his work.

-David

Comment

• Olli
                  • Apr 2010

This is a project which will not happen for a few years yet; I'm just in the preliminary stages of learning about what is out there. David's point about speaker technology moving to controlled directivity designs is very interesting, and will warrant further reading.

I still envisage myself doing all the fabrication myself; for me it isn't the same if one just buys a kit that purely requires a bit of glueing and painting. Thus, the time budget would be quite large.

Thanks for the links so far

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"