X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krips
    • Sep 2007

krips' Hi-Vi B3S Build

I'm building a 5 piece surround system for my new man cave (tiny 9x9x8 cube). For those that are not aware, they are based off of zaph's design seen here http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html . I have 5 extra of the drivers as I failed to notice that they were sold in pairs. They're so cheap as it was it didn't even occur to me :P. Will post pictures once more progress is made on the enclosures. It will take a while as I only have 8 clamps.
    Sharp LC-42D64U
    TriTrix MTM (Sealed)
  • Johnloudb
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2007

Cute little little speakers. They will need a subwoofer though. :storm:

By the way, did you finish your 5 channel chip amp?
    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• krips
      • Sep 2007

My chip amp's are all soldered together, but I have yet to finish the PSU for it.
      I only changed the fence when necessary, and when set next to each other they look to be the same length, but when glued and clamped it seems that the top/bottom pieces of my speakers grew! 8O Guess I'll have to try and run them through the saw again now that they're glued.
      Sharp LC-42D64U
      TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• Pete00t
        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by krips
        I'm building a 5 piece surround system for my new man cave (tiny 9x9x8 cube). For those that are not aware, they are based off of zaph's design seen here http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html . I have 5 extra of the drivers as I failed to notice that they were sold in pairs. They're so cheap as it was it didn't even occur to me :P. Will post pictures once more progress is made on the enclosures. It will take a while as I only have 8 clamps.
        What place did you find that sales those speakers in pairs?

Comment

• krips
          • Sep 2007

solen
          Sharp LC-42D64U
          TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• krips
            • Sep 2007

What is the best way to remove the coating from an inductor in order to solder it?
            Sharp LC-42D64U
            TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• absolootbs
              • Mar 2010

i've used sand paper, a wire stripper, and a utility knife. of those three, i prefer the sand paper. sand till shiny. if you want to be thorough, check with a continuity meter (or the like) to be sure you're good to go.

Comment

• krips
                • Sep 2007

Alright, that's what I did to test for when i was unwinding them (used random orbital sander). Wire stripper didn't word worth a hoot :P. Thx.
                Sharp LC-42D64U
                TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• oneplustwo
                  • Jan 2010

I've also used a hot soldering iron to melt/scrape it off. Works ok, but if I was to do it again, I'd start there and finish with some sand paper.
                  Zaph SR-71
                  Zaph ZDT 3.5
                  Sunflower Redux
                  12" Dayton HF sub
                  CJD RS 150 MT
                  Revelator bookshelf
                  2x12 Guitar cab
                  Corner loaded line array

Comment

• benchtester
                    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by oneplustwo
                    I've also used a hot soldering iron to melt/scrape it off. Works ok, but if I was to do it again, I'd start there and finish with some sand paper.
                    The insulation has a temperature rating, which a DIY'er often will not be able to determine. I like the type that can be removed with a soldering iron (maybe called ~Solder-Ease). But the "high performance - high temp" type can withstand the heat of a soldering iron. So you have to remove it with mechanical means or with a caustic solution (like Naval Jelly - maybe - as a young buck I built some motors with this, but I was given the industrial strength caustic, and I don't know the source).

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
                      • Oct 2009

What Sub/Woofer are U Going to Pair with Them?

This would probably be a good match for your B3S speakers.
                      "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
                      -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• krips
                        • Sep 2007

Would muranic (sic) acid work to take it off? or would it just eat the copper to?
                        Thanks to the link for the sub. I was actually considering possibly doing a pair of 12" HF dayton drivers....depends on what I have for room. I'll give this one a look though .
                        Sharp LC-42D64U
                        TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"