Zaph's design contest: now that it's (almost) over, should we share our designs?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2sooners
    • Jan 2010

Javier,

Have you posted this speaker somewhere? I started a Modula M/T build but am holding
    up to see your design.

2sooners

Comment

• fjhuerta
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by 2sooners
      Javier,

Have you posted this speaker somewhere? I started a Modula M/T build but am holding
      up to see your design.

2sooners
      Oops.

Yeah, it's here... http://www.zaphaudio.com/contest.html
      Javier Huerta

Comment

• mbglobal
        • Apr 2010

zaph design winner

I was wondering if you ever built a real set of these speakers and if so what the outcome was
        thanks
        mark

Comment

• benchtester
          • Sep 2007

all builder's impressions

What are everyone's listening impressions of the SB29RDCN tweeter?

Comment

• 2sooners
            • Jan 2010

Could anyone help me with Mr Huerta's winning 1600hz crossover.
            From Zaph's website I cannot figure out the inductor for L9.
            Has anyone built this one? I think it is for me.

Comment

• 5th element
              Supreme Being Moderator
              • Sep 2009

L9 is a 0.05mH inductor with a DC resistance of 0.09 ohms.
              What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
              5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
              Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2006

I actually picked the SB29 on my new dual 10" woofer design because of its low distortion. The DQ25 or the rest of the small neos are good, but they can't touch the distortion levels of the SB29 in such a small package.

I haven't built my design yet, but I'll probably do it by Christmas. I had too many speakers around and had to sell most of them...
                Javier Huerta

Comment

• benchtester
                  • Sep 2007

Originally posted by fjhuerta
                  I actually picked the SB29 on my new dual 10" woofer design because of its low distortion. The DQ25 or the rest of the small neos are good, but they can't touch the distortion levels of the SB29 in such a small package.

I haven't built my design yet, but I'll probably do it by Christmas. I had too many speakers around and had to sell most of them...

Thanks for the feedback on the SB29, I thinking of hooking up the various winning designs and listening to the differences.

I am also tempted to make a three way with the SB29, the new Discovery 10F midrange and maybe the RS225.

Comment

• Bear
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by fjhuerta
                    Out of curiosity, what were the as-designed baffle dimensions and box parameters? I'm guessing most people had a standard 10L enclosure in mind, but I'd be curious what actually drove people's thinking in this respect, as well, since it seems to have been a significant part of some people's designs.
                    Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• lhwidget
                      • Jan 2009

Hi Bear,
                      The design data for the contest XOs were Zaph's measurements of the drivers in the enclosure he designed for his ZA5 speakers. The dimensions are posted here:

Jay T

My Site

Comment

• Bear
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by lhwidget
                        Hi Bear,
                        The design data for the contest XOs were Zaph's measurements of the drivers in the enclosure he designed for his ZA5 speakers. The dimensions are posted here:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZA5/
                        Thanks! I had missed that.
                        Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• sjuhlin
                          • Jan 2011

I was reviewing Dan's three-way design and am very interested in trying to build it. Has there been any additional information on the details for the design?
                          Thanks,
                          Steve
                          Last edited by sjuhlin; 09 January 2011, 13:14 Sunday. Reason: Placed in wrong forum

Comment

• GOWA
                            • Apr 2007

Has anyone built this yet?
                            No matter where you go, there you are.

Website

Comment

• Cambe
                              • Jan 2011

Hello All,
                              This is my first post here. Just came across dinewbec's Cabaletta 3-way. I really want to build it!
                              Please, do a separate thread for it with construction details.
                              :T

Comment

• DancesWithBeers
                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by dlneubec

After seeing the size of this post, maybe I should have made a new thread entitled Zaph 3way design contest winner, or something!
                                Any update on this, Dan? I'm considering options for my next build...

Comment

• Cambe
                                  • Jan 2011

Yes... any updates on the Cabaletta?

Comment

• dlneubec
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jan 2006

Hey Guys,

Sorry for my lack of support here. Life just got in the way and I never built it, so it remains a paper only design. I still have the drivers I won, but never did pick up the woofer. I think most of the plans were there except for the detailed cabinet plans. I'll have to look and see if I was able to recover the cad files from my crashed system. I think Paul Kittinger might be able to come up with them or perhaps remodel it over and get some internal dimensions figured out. I'll drop him a line and see what we can come up with for anyone who wants to build it.

I'd love to see someone build it. Paul and I did another design together that was very similar. He did the cabinet design and I did the crossover design for him. I believe he called them the Sonatello's, though I think it had a different midrange, IIRC. We went through some issues tring to get the SB29 to sound right, so If I can find the design I did for hime and the old SoundEasy files for this one, I might want to make a few changes. You'd have to do your own voicing, however.

If anyone is still interested in building it, I can pursue it further.
                                    Dan N.

Comment

• djkest
                                      • Oct 2011

So FJ Huerta, do you have a name for your design? I called it the "Contest Winners" in my database, lol. It looks like components and drivers run a little over $300.. using those values for capacitors makes you do some parallel caps, no big deal. Madisound would be the "one stop shop" for that design.

Comment

• DancesWithBeers
                                        • Dec 2008

Hi Dan,

I'm interested in building this, but I'm sticking to finalized kits at this point, so I wouldn't have the desire to do any final tuning of the crossover. I realize that time is limited for most of us, so, no pressure, but if you ever revisit the design and post detailed cabinet dimensions, I think I might build a pair. I've got some padauk that would go well with maple...

If it is merely the purchase of the woofers that is holding you back, I could purchase them and send your way. Then, when you get done with the design, crossover included, I could buy the whole lot, minus woofers (just thinking out loud)?

-DWB

Comment

• Cambe
                                          • Jan 2011

Hello Dan,
                                          Yes, I am still interested. I also won't be able to do much testing of the crossover. But, I like the design. 8)

Comment

• NWLanding
                                            • Feb 2012

More Design Info?

Are there any more detail drawings available for the boxes? Particularly interior bracing, materials and interior measurements?

Comment

• rlantgua
                                              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by NWLanding
                                              Are there any more detail drawings available for the boxes? Particularly interior bracing, materials and interior measurements?

Second to this....

Comment

• rlantgua
                                                • Feb 2012

Up... :T

Can't wait to build this!!
                                                Last edited by rlantgua; 28 March 2012, 12:42 Wednesday.

Comment

• rlantgua
                                                  • Feb 2012

I'm interested on building this.

Originally posted by dlneubec
                                                  Hey Guys,

Sorry for my lack of support here. Life just got in the way and I never built it, so it remains a paper only design. I still have the drivers I won, but never did pick up the woofer. I think most of the plans were there except for the detailed cabinet plans. I'll have to look and see if I was able to recover the cad files from my crashed system. I think Paul Kittinger might be able to come up with them or perhaps remodel it over and get some internal dimensions figured out. I'll drop him a line and see what we can come up with for anyone who wants to build it.

I'd love to see someone build it. Paul and I did another design together that was very similar. He did the cabinet design and I did the crossover design for him. I believe he called them the Sonatello's, though I think it had a different midrange, IIRC. We went through some issues tring to get the SB29 to sound right, so If I can find the design I did for hime and the old SoundEasy files for this one, I might want to make a few changes. You'd have to do your own voicing, however.

If anyone is still interested in building it, I can pursue it further.

Comment

• pierre666
                                                    • May 2009

After seeing the size of this post, maybe I should have made a new thread entitled Zaph 3way design contest winner, or something!
                                                    Congratulations to you, it is in my book a '' Winner''.... :T I've been looking for a new 3 way project with a SB23 and I think this one could be a great contender in my selection...

Congrats again!!!!! ;x(

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"