X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • proview
    • Mar 2010

6.0mf changed to 5.6mf will it make a differance

hi
    I can't get a 6.0mf cap for the crossover on the Lineup R44. I have got a 5.6mf cap will it make much of a differance and what will be the differance can I get round it (without getting a 6.0 cap) any help would be good as its first build!
    cheers
  • Face
    • Mar 2007

Where are you located that you can't source a 6.0uf cap?
    SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

Yes, it will make a difference. Will it be audible? Probably depends on your ears, your room, your setup, tolerance of the parts, etc.

You can use 2 - 3uf twisted together in parallel to get 6uf. I would recommend that first, just because. If you can't do that, I wouldn't sweat the 5.6 too much.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Really depends on the tolerance of the 5.6mfd cap. If it's say a 10% tolerance and happens to be on the low side, you could be actually using a something close to 5mfd and that's probably a bit too low. If it's on the high side of the tolerance you should be fine.

This of course means you need to measure the value of the cap to know whether or not it will work.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

+1

Another possibility is parallel a 1 and a 5. Thing is, cap manufacturers are generally real good at what they do, to control costs, and they'll almost always be on the low side of nominal cap value, with a small guard band to be sure they aren't out of tolerance. I normally rcommend buying 5% tolerance or better.
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jed
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Apr 2005

I'd get a 6.2uf cap if you don't want to buy caps to parallel values and make 6.0uf. Also, the 6.0uf value in the R44 is part of impedance correction, so going from 6.0 to 6.2 hardly impacts the FR at all.

Jed

Comment

• evilskillit
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by JonMarsh
              Thing is, cap manufacturers are generally real good at what they do, to control costs, and they'll almost always be on the low side of nominal cap value, with a small guard band to be sure they aren't out of tolerance. I normally rcommend buying 5% tolerance or better.
              Interesting point. When I got my LCR meter I measured every component I could find. I found almost all my inductors to be higher than marked by a nominal amount. From .3 to 0.05. Except for the steel core inductors I bought, they were all almost 0.2 lower than marked.

With caps they were all within 0.05 of the marked value. Except for two erse 16.9 caps which were actually 17.2 or 17.3. Probably close enough, but I threw em in the parts bin and bought some solens instead.

So far in the limited time since I got my meter Erse components are decently close but PE components are damn near always right on, even their 5% caps.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

For example, in the past I've measured LARGE numbers of GE 10 uF PPMF caps that were a buyout from Madisound; almost all came in between 9.85 and about 9.9 uF. That's measuring at 10 kHz test frequency, on an LCR test setup that is NIST calibrated and with an accuracy of 0.1%.
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• proview
                  • Mar 2010

Hi all
                  thanks for the input, I decided to fit them, as I had to get all the stuff for the build from europeaudio and it was a bit long winded. They are Audin 400v 5% caps as some of you have said tolerances may help / hinder the swap. As I have not any speakers to reference these against I probably will not know the difference.
                  BTW what will fitting the 5.6mf do to the sound will it be louder / softer, bass deeper / less deep base?
                  As you can tell first attempt at speaker building and I know nothing, tried to get them finished today but have got to pack for hols tomorrow

Jed have just reread your input re impedance correction I hope I will not blow anything up?

cheers

Comment

• Jed
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by proview

Jed have just reread your input re impedance correction I hope I will not blow anything up?

cheers
                    You'll be fine with a 5.6 or 6.2 or 6.0 for that cap in the R44.

Comment

• Not2Evil
                      • Dec 2008

I would like to caution the OP about mixing the mili (m) with the micro (u) prefix.

All of the xovers I've seen use micro farads (uF), but I bring it up because some huge, low voltage caps ARE available for bypassing and hold up circuits for car audio (mF and even F).

That would stink if you accidently bought a value 1000 times larger than expected.

Comment

• ---k---
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2005

I always get the prefix wrong in my posts...
                        - Ryan

Comment

• proview
                          • Mar 2010

Hi
                          Well I finally got them finished, after being stuck in Morocco due to the Volcano, oh the hardship of staying round the pool and only 29c! any how, they are fantastic, I love them sound really sweet and detailed, even my wife likes them but says "don’t get the bug to build more"!!
                          one final question what would the efficiency of the r44 be just so I know for reference ( if I ever do another)

cheers for all the help
                          Proview
                          :B

Comment

• Amphiprion
                            • Apr 2006

Where are you located that you can't source a 6.0uf cap?
                            The real world, where the E24 series dominates the capacitor landscape 5.6 or 6.2 is as close as most 5% tolerance caps will get, but I guess hobbyist-oriented audio cap companies do make odd values like 6.0. Never see that in professional electronics though.

Comment

• Jed
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Apr 2005

6.0 uf

Comment

• fordmaker
                                • May 2009

Interesting to note that the Madisound descriptions clearly use "mfd" and "MFD" to both say Micro Farad. What would the abreviation for Millifarad be?

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                  • Apr 2006

Millifarad abbreviation is mF. It's rarely used, as people stick with uF for electrolytics or jump straight to Farad for things like electric double layer caps. If I ever see an mF I look at the schematic and I can tell for sure what is meant, and it's almost always uF. As far as capacitors themselves, unless it's a big electrolytic or an electric double layer cap, mF should almost always be interpreted as uF (or µF, for those who know alt codes).

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                    • Apr 2006

Also, for those not familiar with the E series, here is a good link:

Texas Instruments has been making progress possible for decades. We are a global semiconductor company that designs, manufactures, tests and sells analog and embedded processing chips.

Each E series corresponds to a % tolerance for that series, and the values within a decade are based on that. Once that's understood, it's easy to see why 6.0 would be considered an 'oddball' in professional electronics. IIRC, LSPCad even had a setting in its optimizer back in v5 that would force it to use E12 or E24 parts only when optimizing. These E series are applicable to resistors, capacitors, and inductors alike, with resistors predominantly being the ones that are available in anything tighter than 5% tolerance.

Comment

• proview
                                      • Mar 2010

one final question what would the efficiency of the r44 be in db please
                                      proview

Comment

• Jed
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by proview
                                        one final question what would the efficiency of the r44 be in db please
                                        proview

Around 88.5db/2.83v/m sensitivity

Comment

• Speedskater
                                          • Mar 2009

Probably for one hundred years "mfd" or "MFD" meant micro farad at the hobbyist or technician level, only recently when very large capacitors became available did the correct Milli-farad become important. Many, many older publications have the older incorrect usage.

Comment

• Not2Evil
                                            • Dec 2008

I remember when crystal values where embossed on the case as kilocycles, and when resistors had color codes. I wonder if they even teach the color code any more, and if they somehow made it politically correct.

Time marches on.

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                              • Apr 2006

They do still teach resistor color codes in electrical engineering curriculum, and they have tried to make it politically correct, but I never remembered any of the lame ones they came up with. The only one I ever remembered was the politically incorrect one my first boss told me, and that one stuck. I graduated in 2003. Everything I do now is SMT though, so even though I am theoretically capable of reading a color code I find measuring it with a meter to be much faster and more reliable than, uh, me Thank God for Smart Tweezers (R) when I do 0603 and 0402 stuff. They can't even print the digits on them.

When did cycles become Hertz? I've seen a lot of older books that use cycles so it must have been since WWII?

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                                • Apr 2006

And Wikipedia with the answer:
                                                The hertz is named after the German physicist Heinrich Hertz, who made important scientific contributions to electromagnetism. The name was established by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) in 1930.[5] It was adopted by the General Conference on Weights and Measures (CGPM) (Conférence générale des poids et mesures) in 1960, replacing the previous name for the unit, cycles per second (cps), along with its related multiples, primarily kilocycles per second (kc/s) and megacycles per second (Mc/s), and occasionally kilomegacycles per second (kMc/s). The term cycles per second was largely replaced by hertz by the 1970s.

Comment

• ---k---
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Nov 2005

I'm going to have to google resistor color codes to see what the heck you guys are talking about.
                                                  - Ryan

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ---k---
                                                    I'm going to have to google resistor color codes to see what the heck you guys are talking about.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ---k---
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Nov 2005

Thanks Thomas.
                                                      I haven't seen that. I'll have to print it out and keep it somewhere. Last week I just went to Madisounds website and scrolled through the pictures until I found on that matched.

Now... how about the politically incorrect method of remembering??? I was looking for a good laugh.
                                                      - Ryan

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                                        • Apr 2006

"Bad Booze Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well" is one of the better more politically correct ones. There are lots of significantly poorer variations.

The very non-PC one is as follows (hiding it with spoiler tags just because I feel bad posting this on the internet, but it's what people actually remember)

Removed

It even works in the tolerance bands with the GSN (gold, silver, none)
                                                        Last edited by Amphiprion; 20 May 2010, 13:54 Thursday.

Comment

• ---k---
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Nov 2005

WOW! That is much much worse than I imagined. I can see why you hide it. You can delete it. I would hate for that to show up in a search on google.
                                                          - Ryan

Comment

• Face
                                                            • Mar 2007

FYI, when you wrap text in [ PHP ][ /PHP ] tags(remove spaces), it shouldn't be indexed.
                                                            PHP Code:
                                                            For example 
                                                            SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                                              • Apr 2006

For what it's worth, I had a supervisor who had been a radio operator in the Navy. He went through basic probably in the early-mid 90's. The full-on non-PC one was what he was taught in the military. The justification of race being used was that it helped to distinguish the two B colors/words that start the sentence.

As for it showing up in a search, meh. Everyone in my field has heard it. An HR person might flinch at it, but no one who actually works in my area would care that I posted it so long as I put the disclaimers. All the same, I have removed it now that the interested parties have read it.

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                                                • Apr 2006

Actually, Wikipedia has quite the list ways to remember them. This is direct from Wikipedia, please feel free to edit this moderators if anything is too offensive.

Mnemonics

A useful mnemonic matches the first letter of the color code, by order of increasing magnitude. There are many variations:

* Bad boys rape our young girls behind victory garden walls.[6][7]
                                                                * Bad boys run our young girls behind victory garden walls.[8]
                                                                * Bad boys rape our young girls but Violet gives willingly.[6][7]
                                                                * Big boys race our young girls but Violet generally wins.[9]

The tolerance codes, gold, silver, and none, are not usually included in the mnemonics; one extension that includes them is:

* Bad beer rots our young guts but vodka goes well – get some now.[10]

Since B can stand for both "black" and "brown", variations are formed such as "Black boys rape our young girls...".[8]

Humorous, offensive, or sexual mnemonics are more memorable (see mnemonic), but these variations are often considered inappropriate for classrooms, and have been implicated as a sign of sexism in science and engineering classes.[11] Dr. Latanya Sweeney, associate professor of computer science at Carnegie Mellon, a black woman, mentions the mnemonic ("black boys rape only young girls but Violet gives willingly") as one of the reasons she felt alienated and eventually dropped out of MIT in the 1980s to form her own software company.[12][13]

A politically-correct mnemonic that has attained some traction in recent years is:

* Big brown rabbits often yield great big vocal groans when gingerly slapped.[14][15][16]

Another mnemonic that is not offensive and can be used in the classroom is:

* B. B. ROY of Great Britain has Very Good Wife.[17][18][19]

Other mnemonics commonly taught in UK engineering courses include:

* Bye Bye Rosie Off You Go Birmingham Via Great Western[20]
                                                                * Bye Bye Rosie Off You Go Bristol Via Great Western[21]
                                                                * Bye Bye Rosie Off You Go do Become a Very Good Wife[19]

* Bill Brown Realized Only Yesterday Good Boys Value Good Work[21][22]

The colors are sorted in the order of the visible light spectrum: red (2), orange (3), yellow (4), green (5), blue (6), violet (7). Black (0) has no energy, brown (1) has a little more, white (9) has everything and grey (8) is like white, but less intense.[23]

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • Nov 2005

I think the fact that it is so shocking really reinforces it in our brains. I made no attempt to memorize it, but there it is stuck in my brain. I'm not sure I would remember the beer, rabbit, etc. ones.
                                                                  - Ryan

Comment

• Not2Evil
                                                                    • Dec 2008

If you find that shocking, you wouldn't believe the nickname of heat sink grease or the name of a short, stubby antenna.

A hundred + years of male dominated electronics hasn't had much of a need for diversity. But, probably not much different than other professions. Plumbing has lots of inuendos also.

There are a lot of things that aren't polically correct, but most of them weren't intended to insult or harm others. Change the name of the Atlanta Braves and let it stop there. (Cause baseball sucks anyway)

What I need is more people telling me what I'm doing wrong, so I can do what I think is right even better.

Ok, let's build more and have fewer speakers, specially in the House. Triple inudendo, extra points for that one!

I love the Red Green show, can you tell? Getting old and crotchity is actually kind of fun.

Comment

Working...
                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                    Search Result for "|||"