X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wackii
    • Jan 2006

crossover modification software?

Hi all, I'm looking for a free software that allows me to modify the pre-existed crossover. Let just say I have the crossover schematic, and I want to plug in those values (caps, resistors, etc...) and modify it. I want to reduce and/or boost certain regions of FR, change the crossover point of tweeter, etc. Is there such a program to help me do that? I'm totally newbie at this stuff. I just want to get start on this by modify and playing around with the crossover. Maybe with some success, I will then try to design my own speakers someday

Thanks.

Al,
  • Deward Hastings
    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by wackii
    Is there such a program to help me do that?
    There is (there are) but . . . they all share one common CostCo economy size can of worms . . . you have to know rather a lot about the drivers in your speakers, because drivers and crossovers significantly interact. Getting the driver data you need isn't easy . . . in many if not most cases you'll have to measure them yourself . . . and that takes several hundred dollars worth of toys, and a lot of hours learning how to use them.

If you're really down with doing it then download Passive Crossover Designer (it requires Excel to run), and fight your way up the learning curve with the examples included. If the crossover you want to modify seems to give reasonable response with the "generic" drivers you might at least get a hint of what would happen with yours if you make minor changes. Crossover design is nowhere near as easy as the small number of simple parts might suggest, though, so be prepared for a "learning experience" (or two, or three, or . . .).

Comment

• wackii
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Deward Hastings
      There is (there are) but . . . they all share one common CostCo economy size can of worms . . . you have to know rather a lot about the drivers in your speakers, because drivers and crossovers significantly interact. Getting the driver data you need isn't easy . . . in many if not most cases you'll have to measure them yourself . . . and that takes several hundred dollars worth of toys, and a lot of hours learning how to use them.

If you're really down with doing it then download Passive Crossover Designer (it requires Excel to run), and fight your way up the learning curve with the examples included. If the crossover you want to modify seems to give reasonable response with the "generic" drivers you might at least get a hint of what would happen with yours if you make minor changes. Crossover design is nowhere near as easy as the small number of simple parts might suggest, though, so be prepared for a "learning experience" (or two, or three, or . . .).
      Thanks for your help. I'll look into it. The thing that holds me back is measuring the drivers and how to measure it properly?

Thanks again.

Al,

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"