X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

A question for the electronics guys

Hi,

I am in need of a capacitor technology. I am looking for an AC coupling capacitor for a signal between gain stages in a filter circuit I am designing. It has to be 1uF or larger (pref. MUCH larger for maintaining linear phase in the frequency range of interest). It has to be as low or lower distortion as an aluminum electrolytic DC blocking cap in this application. Unfortunately, I cannot use an aluminum electrolytic. Don't ask why, I just can't. As I see it, my options are:

1) Large (HUGE) C0G ceramic. Still have trouble even getting to 1uF in SMT packages. (THD ~-100 to 130db depending on cap selection)

2) Tantalum. Can't use because of the distortion plots I've seen for them indicate they would be very bad (THD approx. -70dB)

3) Film. Only downside is large size and still can't get very big values. But currently what I am leaning towards. (THD ~-100 to 130dB depending on dielectric)

4) Polymer aluminum electrolytic. A700 series from Kemet. I have no idea what the distortion specs on these are like. I am hoping they are more like standard aluminum electrolytic in distortion (~-80 to 100dB as DC blocks) than tantalums. I am really interested if anyone has info on these.

5)? Recommend me something.

Other constraints are 5mm total height (although I can bend a radial leaded part over and RTV it to the board or something similar). SMT preferred.

If anyone out there can help, it would be much appreciated. Polarized caps are obviously OK. Thanks for any help!
  • mazurek
    • Mar 2006

I generally use panasonic ECQ-P(Z) series polypropylene capacitors. I believe they are available up to 0.47uF or so from Digikey, and I have paralleled those to get higher. Make sure to get the 50V rated ones if you can as they are the smallest. I know these measure quite well in filter circuits.

I've used higher valued film caps of different types, but I've got no experience in xover circuits though.

The Jensen Transformers app notes on input and output stages recommend panasonic bipolar electrolytic capacitors as being pretty good, but I've not used these myself.

Some will say bypass a bad capacitor with a good one, but I'm sure you are experienced enough to know that without measuring, it can be an unexpected combination of R-C-L's that don't necessarily improve things.

Another thing, I'm sure you already know, but can be helpful to think about. If you are active, you have leeway in sizing. You could scale R's proportionally (and see whether thermal noise becomes important), or decompose a filter stage with giant values into two filter stages with more reasonable values. I have a bass adjust option in my crossover that moves a f3=20Hz Q=0.5 LR2 -> f3=40Hz Q=0.5. I used two first order filters for the job rather than one Linkwitz transform circuit.

Sorry, I have no real experience with SMT so my thoughts may not have been helpful.

Comment

• Face
      • Mar 2007

Als weltweit führender Hersteller entwickeln und fertigen wir qualitativ hochwertige Folien-Kondensatoren für den professionellen Einsatz in allen Bereichen der Elektronik. Seit 1948 produzieren wir als inhabergeführtes Unternehmen ausschließlich in Deutschland. Als Spezialist für Folienkondensatoren richten wir unseren Fokus auf höchste Kundenzufriedenheit durch Qualität, Innovation, Lieferperformance und Kostenperformance. Unsere Stärken liegen in der Entwicklung und Herstellung von spezialisierten Produkten, für die Erfahrung und exzellentes Know-how erforderlich sind. Dadurch können wir für alle Ihre Anforderungen die entsprechenden Lösungen anbieten.
      SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• benchtester
        • Sep 2007

parallel as many 0.22 uF as you like:

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"