X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • evilskillit
    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by shame302
    So 2 4" ports plot the same as one 6" within the program for me. Does this sound right?
    If the program you're using shows the area of the port opening then that determines the length.

Lets see, area of a circle is pi r^2

so 3.14*3*3=28.26 sq inches for a 6" port
    3.14*2*2=12.56 so 2 4" ports is 25.12, pretty close.

Basically the length of the port is determined by the area of the port opening, or something to that effect. So yeah in this case 2 4" ports will be as long, and work about the same as 1 6" port.

Comment

• shame302
      • Apr 2008

Sweet, thnx. At least the program is figuring correctly. I have to use task manager to close it. I figure 2 4" ports in the front will look better than a 6" port in the side. That and a 6" port is darned large.

I'm thinking i might consider building a THT for giggles and getting a Dayton DVC 15" later on this summer just for the sake of experimenting. Those claims are hard to ignore.
      Psudo HTPC, Nuforce AVP 16, Emotiva XPA 5, Statements mains and center, Dayton in wall rears, Twin Tempest X 7CUFT sealed, and very cool and understanding wife!

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

I'm thinking i might consider building a THT for giggles and getting a Dayton DVC 15" later on this summer just for the sake of experimenting. Those claims are hard to ignore.
        I'll be starting one in 2 weeks for my brother. I got the parts sitting next to me. Like you, it is mainly just for giggles. At the present time, I'm a bit doubtful. But, we'll see. My brother won't know the difference.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• shame302
          • Apr 2008

Sweet. I'll def. follow the build if you make a build thread for it.
          Psudo HTPC, Nuforce AVP 16, Emotiva XPA 5, Statements mains and center, Dayton in wall rears, Twin Tempest X 7CUFT sealed, and very cool and understanding wife!

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

There are enough build threads out there already that I'll probably just start a thread after it is finished. So, don't expect anything for a good month... It is going to be interesting to compare it to my dual RL-P15 sub. I definitely plan to put it through it's paces before I deliver it to my brother. I probably have to send my wife to the spa for the weekend though.
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• brent_s
              • Jun 2006

Sweet, thnx. At least the program is figuring correctly. I have to use task manager to close it.
              You're either using Vista or Win7. Go to properties on the WinISD.exe and set compatibility mode to Win98/Me.

Vent length is a function of the port cross sectional area, tuning frequency, and box volume. Since 2x4" ports have essentially the same area as 1x6"...the length of *each* 4" ports will be approximately the same as the single 6".

Example. Arbitrary 6 ft^3 box tuned to 21 Hz. 2x4"=22.66"(2), 1x6"=24.4".

-Brent

Comment

• shame302
                • Apr 2008

[IMG]There are enough build threads out there already that I'll probably just start a thread after it is finished. So, don't expect anything for a good month... It is going to be interesting to compare it to my dual RL-P15 sub. I definitely plan to put it through it's paces before I deliver it to my brother. I probably have to send my wife to the spa for the weekend though. [/IMG]
                Sweet, I'm not in a rush and i like reading real-world results. Much appreciated.

You're either using Vista or Win7. Go to properties on the WinISD.exe and set compatibility mode to Win98/Me.
                Yes, windows 7. Ill look into that, thanks.

Comment

• Hank
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jul 2002

shame302:
                  Would a 3/4 round-over be effective enough or should i try harder to borrow, or buy a cheaper 1 1/4 bit?
                  For years, I've used 3/4" roundover on the front vertical baffle edges, but I have bought a #8659 1-1/4" radius bit from MLCS Woodworking and am itching to try it:

Comment

• shame302
                    • Apr 2008

Back from the dead!

So....I managed to do not much at all with them. Just used them. I love them but recently acwuired a matching pair that I had made for a buddy of mine. basically same/similar internal volume but they are 24" cubes, single layer construction with bracing.

I still want to experiment with those dual 4" ports in one of these pairs. On the other hand, well, I now have 4 of these Tempset X dvc drivers. I could get another plate amp and just run all 4 they way I was. IB is not an option in this home :'0( I doubt I'd gain very much by getting another amp and doubling up. I kind of want to be smarter than that. I was thinking new cabinets. I love my double layer 7CUFT enclosures I have and I could easily rout a recess for another driver in one of the ends but then the 7CUFT id in a way cut in half with both drivers sharing the same space.

I have basically the behind the couch area available for space. Oh yeah, My subs are 2" from the back of the couch. I may have forgotten to mention that ;0). The space available is 24"x24"x8' for the most part.

So conflicted. Can anybody set me strait with some ideas and expectations before I sell the drivers like a fool.....?

Comment

• mackintire
                      • Jan 2009

Not quite IB but pretty huge would be (4) Easy buttons or Easy button Max boxes.

2000 watts should get you to 120+db below 20hz.

Comment

• shame302
                        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by mackintire
                        Not quite IB but pretty huge would be (4) Easy buttons or Easy button Max boxes.

2000 watts should get you to 120+db below 20hz.
                        Hmm. I DID find a side fireing version which might work but I think I only really have space for 2 of them, maybe 3. How would one of those with its port design compare to porting the 2 I have already? They come close together in regards to volume.

120bd @ 20hrs must be pretty insane. I doubt my whole system makes it into the 110-115db range but I can't measure it atm.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"