X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deward Hastings
    • Dec 2006

Waveguide profile?

Maybe it's "hiding in plain view" somewhere, but I'm coming up short finding useful information on chosing or optimizing a waveguide profile (contour) that could be applied to a dome tweeter mod/conversion. I've established (for a possible project) a desired depth (AC offset), a maximim diameter (baffle width), and a throat size (determined by the tweeter), all "practical" rather than "design optimization" considerations, but can't seem to get from that to radiation angle, lf augmentation, or "best curve" . . .

Any suggestions or pointers?
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

you could go back to all the discussions, even back in 2007 about waveguide profiles for compression drivers for oblate spheriod waveguides such as the DDS ENG-1. Dennis H participated in those a lot, put up some Excel graphs and profiles.

I've worked with the DDS and others, enough that I'm disenchanted for now with even the widest band compression drivers available under $200, so I went back to playing with domes and the good ole MCM waveguide to see how far quick pragmatic effort could be taken... i.e., somewhat low effort (compared with projects like the Ardent, which due to changes in work load for my day job just aren't possible this year).

Isiris

BMS Tweeters / DDS Waveguides

New Waveguide Study

I'm sure there's lots more, but this will give you a good starting point for reading and further searches.
    Last edited by theSven; 24 August 2023, 18:21 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

Conical (straight-walled) horns are good for constant directivity. Earl's oblate spheroid is a variation on the conical theme with a specific throat profile. The thing is the OS theoretical advantage only works if the source puts out a plane wave and that won't happen with a dome. So, you just do the best you can at the throat to get the dome to have a smooth transition to the cone. Out at the mouth, you want as big a round-over as you can handle to help eliminate the horn honk (diffraction that reflects back down the horn.)

And finally, stuffing the horn with fish foam seems to help tame a lot of nasty reflections that may be going on inside. Patrick Bateman over at DIY was experimenting with horns/waveguides for his car and suggested that the foam might be more important than the throat shape. Earl uncharacteristically admitted that that was probably true although it's something he usually keeps quiet about.

Comment

• Dennis H
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2002

I found the Robert White (RCW on the boards) article I was looking for. On the 2nd and 3rd pages, he does the math and builds waveguides for a dome tweeter.

Comment

• Paul Ebert
          • May 2004

Originally posted by JonMarsh
          ...I've worked with the DDS and others, enough that I'm disenchanted for now with even the widest band compression drivers available under $200, so I went back to playing with domes and the good ole MCM waveguide to see how far quick pragmatic effort could be taken... i.e., somewhat low effort (compared with projects like the Ardent, which due to changes in work load for my day job just aren't possible this year).
          Am I understanding this correctly? That is, that you will not be able to complete the Ardent this year?

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

I've seen that before, too- wasn't really all that thrilled with his results.

Wish I could get the POM waveguide Jantzen/Troells used, but barring that, still keep coming back to the MCM, especially considering the results we're getting with that. His process for building a waveguide makes mine for milling and fitting look like a walk in the park in comparison! :W
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Paul Ebert
              Am I understanding this correctly? That is, that you will not be able to complete the Ardent this year?

No no no, it means I couldn't do another project like the Ardent from scratch this year- it's far too much work on a cabinet level! The Ardent's should be wrapped up by the end of March if not sooner. I'll be back to working on them this weekend, even.

First some test measurements for the Modula Xtreme, though.

The heck of it is that I have an idea for a modified Ardent- simplified, actually- two ideas, even, and could use some of the parts I cut for a second set last year. Probably won't consider starting on that until about June. It depends on how these other things go.
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Obi-Wan
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Deward Hastings
                • Dec 2006

Well clearly it wasn't a "new" question (oldguy got there first ), but still not much in the way of *answers*. Basically I read "conical section, with the throat and terminus rounded to taste". And not much in the way of polar measurements to guide that taste (like "how much does a 5-7 inch "waveguide" influence the 60-90 degree polar response"). That's assuming, of course, that the intent of the waveguide is to match midwoofer beaming.

Could similar pattern control be obtained simply by surrouding the tweeter with a donut of rigid fiberglass or rockwool insulation to absorb the side radiation?
                Without any danger of adding "horn resonances"?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Some have "felt" that's a better/easier path, such as the Joe Rasmussen Elsinore project, which uses a stepped felt rectangular absorbing system, which reportedly/allegedly even improves the off axis behavior of the venerable XT-25 (the original tweeter in that project- however, it doesn't improve the distortion behavior of that tweeter, unlike some waveguide loaded experiments done by AJ and others)

Certainly it could be something to investigate, depending on what your personal goals are- it might be adaptable to a wider range of tweeters than the true waveguide path is, which seems highly dependent on managing the immediate tweeter/waveguide interface for good performance in the top octave. (to date, I've only seen two documented solid examples of this, the MCM waveguide with the 27TDFC, as done by John Krutke, and the MCM waveguide with the D2608/9130, as done by moi- I've tried several other tweeters with much poorer results, have one or two more left to investigate. I think AJ successfully used it with the XT-25, but I haven't seen measurements). DBX did something similar in commercial speakers back in the 80's, I think.
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Obi-Wan
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Paul W
                    • Oct 2004

Image not avilable

That's probably what Lipinski is trying to accomplish in this speaker. Doubt rock wool or rigid fiberglass would be dense enough...maybe wool felt or heavy foam. There is a patent floating around for "soft" horns, felt or a similar material.

For conventional conical axi-symmetric WGs, the included angle sets the pattern down to around 1 wavelength in outer circumference. A large roundover (~1/4 WL radius) beyond the 1WL circumference not only reduces diffraction, but tends to extend LF control. You can cheat sizes a bit but, eventually, physics wins.
                    Last edited by theSven; 24 August 2023, 18:19 Thursday. Reason: Remove broken image link
                    Paul

Comment

• Deward Hastings
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Paul W
                      Image not avilable

That's probably what Lipinski is trying to accomplish in this speaker. Doubt rock wool or rigid fiberglass would be dense enough...

That's indeed what I was contemplating (as an alternative to a waveguide), although perhaps with a conical rather than stepped front surface. I've seen rockwool at 6 and 8 lb/cubic foot . . .

Originally posted by Paul W
                      For conventional conical axi-symmetric WGs, the included angle sets the pattern down to around 1 wavelength in outer circumference. A large roundover (~1/4 WL radius) beyond the 1WL circumference not only reduces diffraction, but tends to extend LF control. You can cheat sizes a bit but, eventually, physics wins
                      That sets an unfortunate lower limit, since my contemplated baffle width(s) restricts the waveguide diameter to no larger than the midwoofer, but the desired crossover is below 1500Hz.
                      Last edited by theSven; 24 August 2023, 18:20 Thursday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• Paul W
                        • Oct 2004

Yup, unfortunate, but a very common limitation. That's where the cheating starts. When pressed, the constant directivity crowd seems to favor cheating the transition to the baffle more than the conical section.
                        Paul

Comment

• Paul Spencer
                          • Oct 2004

Why use a dome at all? Compression drivers are designed for horns or waveguides as they have a suitable phase plug.
                          Audio Blog DIY projects, tutes and articles.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"