X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikey15
    • Jun 2008

Center Channel Design considerations

What effect would using sealed woofers and vented mids in the same speaker. Is it a rule of thumb to stay with one in the same design or is ok to mix.

EDIT by moderator to merge 3 threads on the same subject
    Last edited by ThomasW; 02 February 2010, 14:07 Tuesday.
  • mikey15
    • Jun 2008

RS225 or Seas L22RNX/P

Trying to settle on the drivers so I can move on. Will be a WMTMW 3 way design. I'm going to use the Zaph ZA and use his waveguide seas tweet mod. I can't get too large I only have 28L for each W. I modeled it and it looks to funky in ported so I'm thinking 18L sealed. Zaph recomends porting his ZA's would it be weird to have sealed and ported alignments in the same speaker?
    Thanks
    Mike

Comment

• mikey15
      • Jun 2008

Center Channel config

Want do either a WMTMW or WMTW center channel. What are your thoughts. In a 3 way design are there still lobing issues in the mids? crosover points ~250 and 2000. Center to enter distance on the mids ~6". Why woul one do a WMTMW over a WMTW. My mains will be a WMTMW.
      Thanks
      Mike

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

How is it you only have 28L per woofer? And then you only have 18L sealed? I think 30L sealed is where the RS225 lands (?) not sure on the Seas. They're both good.

I guess I'm weird, I design the final box after choosing the drivers and evaluating what kind of volume they like. :P
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

The lobing issues are most prominent on the mids for a horizontal layout, which is why WTMW is recommended (or the MTM vertically stacked for a center).

Center carries more dialog, more stuff on the mids - having two increases radiating surface, reduces the effort they make individually to move air - plus the changes in vertical lobing if you go MTM vertically...

Why do you keep opening new threads for questions regarding the same project?

Comment

• mikey15
            • Jun 2008

Sorry I don't really know forum rules I'll try to start a new project thread I have been wavering on design ideas
            Thanks for your help
            Mike

Comment

• 1Michael
              • Sep 2006

There is no point in venting a mid...
              Michael
              Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• mikey15
                • Jun 2008

I have been trying to find what volume the speakers like but I also figured that 28 or 30 L is the max to keep the speaker from getting 2 deep
                Here are the graphs on the RS225 with 18L and 30L I guess I'm still really new because I'm not seeing the benefit of going larger either way it looks like it hits x-max at about 60hz
                Attached Files

Comment

• cjd
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Dec 2004

Just how Q changes the sound.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"