X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bvk_houtx
    • Apr 2005

Another Newbie Question

I am searching for speakers that will be used for 50% music and 50% HT. I've been reading this forum and others doing my research. There appear to be several Zaph kits that look like they may work. I've decided to go with a kit because this will be my first attempt at DIY and I want to minimize any problems. My question is how will these speakers compare to speakers I could buy? Will the Zaph SR-71 kit sound as good as the Dynaudio Contour 1.4? If not, are there any DIY kits that do? Is there any documentation that says if you build kit x it has a sound similar to speaker y? This sure would help in choosing what kit to build. If this documentation does not exist can someone answer the following question. I like the sound of the Dynaudio Contour 1.4 and the McIntosh LS320. What speaker kits should I be looking at?
  • numberoneoppa
    • Sep 2009

All speakers will have their own sound characteristics, but as a general DIY rule, building a proven DIY design will yield you a speaker 3-5 times better than a retail speaker costing the same amount of money.

Now, I've never heard the Dynaudio Contour 1.4, but I'd bet my pants that the SR71 is just as good a loudspeaker, if not better.

Wow, those Dynaudio speakers are expensive, though. :O
    -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• Saurav
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

Your best bet might be to find people in your area who've built some of the DIY designs, and then inviting yourself over for a listen. I know there are people on this forum from Texas, don't know whether they're in the Houston area or not though.

FWIW, my first DIY speakers were a ~$400 kit (and that included finished cabinets), and I thought they sounded a lot better than the Dynaudio Audience 52 (which is what I'd kinda decided to buy, before I started looking at DIY).

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

You could start by comparing measured performance of the Dynaudio's against that of the SR71- it would give you some objective information, at the least.

Considering you're comparing against a pair of $2800 speakers, perhaps you ought to set your sights a little higher in DIY? OTOH, based on the measurement data I've seen on Dynaudio drivers, and that for the drivers in the SR71, it would be hard for any Dynaudio system of similar configuration to match the SR71.

Do you have the McIntosh 320 to use with the SR71, or are you hoping for a speaker that sounds like that combination with what electronics you do have?
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• bvk_houtx
          • Apr 2005

Jon, Several years ago when I was auditioning speakers at various retail stores these two speakers made a very positive impression. My carpentry skills are minimal so I don't expect whatever I build will look as good but I hope it will sound similar to these speakers. I do not own the McIntosh 320 or the Dynaudio 1.4, but I hope to achieve that quality of sound with the speakers I build.

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Are you looking for a pure kit, with prebuilt crossover, or open to more extensive DIY?

Another alternative to the SR71 with nice characteristics is MarkK's ER18DXXT project, with the Seas DXT diffraction waveguide tweeter, which also uses the Seas ER18RNX.

I am partial to the ER18RNX driver myself, having used it in a couple of designs in the last 12 months. You probably can't go wrong with either of these, though I'd lean more towards MarkK's, as philosophically it's more like my Modula MT MkII.
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• bvk_houtx
              • Apr 2005

Jon, Thanks for your response to my post. With my first attempt at a DIY project I thought it would be best to stay with a kit that included pre-built crossovers. The last time I touched a soldering iron was as a Boy Scout working on a merit badge some 40+ years ago. I have not ruled out any design although my budget my limit what I choose for my first project. I have champagne taste on a beer budget. Once I have made the decision I will update my post and keep a pictorial history of my progress, which will be posted. Whatever I choose I plan to build 5 speakers to go with my existing sub-woofer for a 5.1 HT. I would like to build 5 identical speakers, but this appears to limit me to a TM configuration, four on stands and the center placed under the TV. If I am over looking options that are available please don't hesitate to tell me.

Comment

• xyrium
                • Nov 2009

Did you audition that Mc and Dyns in your own listening room, or a dealer? I'm not an amp snob, so IMO, once you get to a respectable level with amplfiers (mid-fi or higher) I think the rest is up to the speakers.

Of course, tubes have a different distortion signature than solid state designs, so that may be part of what you're seeking.

BTW, I believe Zaph did an eval on one of the Dyn woofers in one of his roundups, stating something like the Hi Vi knockoffs were superior as a driver. Implementation and room integration is key though...
                Paul

Comment

• john trials
                  • Mar 2009

If I was you, I'd take a road trip and buy this whole set (check out post #5 on this link)...I wished I lived closer to him:

Use this FREE forum to sell your personal audio/video gear to other audio enthusiasts. Please read the Sticky “Rules For Posting” before posting your items for sale. NO COMMERCIAL SALES PLEASE!

They need to be disassembled, and painted or veneered, so they'd still be a little bit DIY. You can give them your own personal touch. They are a steal, at the price he's asking...without even haggling. You won't be disappointed with the quality of the sound.
                  Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• savage25xtreme
                    • Dec 2008

I heard Nate's Statements at the DFW DIY over the summer, he did a great job on everything. You basically get everything made up for the cost of the components, heck of a deal.

gawd the futon for sale is ugly though... TT sux 8O
                    Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by bvk_houtx
                      Jon, Thanks for your response to my post. With my first attempt at a DIY project I thought it would be best to stay with a kit that included pre-built crossovers. The last time I touched a soldering iron was as a Boy Scout working on a merit badge some 40+ years ago. I have not ruled out any design although my budget my limit what I choose for my first project. I have champagne taste on a beer budget. Once I have made the decision I will update my post and keep a pictorial history of my progress, which will be posted. Whatever I choose I plan to build 5 speakers to go with my existing sub-woofer for a 5.1 HT. I would like to build 5 identical speakers, but this appears to limit me to a TM configuration, four on stands and the center placed under the TV. If I am over looking options that are available please don't hesitate to tell me.
                      I wouldn't limit yourself to designs with pre-built crossovers. Definitely stick with a proven design but soldering a crossover is not difficult. Soldering a crossover doesn't require the level of skill say as soldering a very fine PCB with highly sensitive ICs.

My soldering skills are appalling, but I have yet to fry any crossover components. Just use a heatsink on any leads (to wick away the heat) and you are fine.

Crossovers are not complex. If you are patient and are happy to double and triple check your wiring, then if in doubt, post here with detailed photos for others to check, it is unlikely you will go wrong. If you are really in doubt, just hook up a cheap as amplifier for your initial test with volume low.

I'm not sure about the Contour 1.4 - but if it has multiple woofers, you might be looking for a design with a bit more sensitivity (depending on your amp power) which usually means an amp that can handle a nominal 4 ohm load. Watch the minimum impedance from your chosen design in this case and make sure your amp can cut it.

Zaph's as well as designs from missions accomplished (on this forum) are a good bet. Research some of the designs and maybe post questions about ones you like for your intended use to get feedback.

Comment

• oneplustwo
                        • Jan 2010

I've decided on the SR71's for my own build but I'm stricly stereo and not so much into HT. If I were you, I'd probably go with the ZA5 kits. Zaph has all different setups available from center to MTM to in wall so that might be a good fit if you're going to DIY them all so you can have an easy way to get a matching setup.
                        Zaph SR-71
                        Zaph ZDT 3.5
                        Sunflower Redux
                        12" Dayton HF sub
                        CJD RS 150 MT
                        Revelator bookshelf
                        2x12 Guitar cab
                        Corner loaded line array

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"