X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • a-rone
    • Jan 2010

Router Question

I am starting on my speaker build this weekend. My father-in-law has a few routers he has lent me for this project but neither is a plunge router. Is there a good way to cut the recess and speaker hole cut outs with fixed frame router?
  • evilskillit
    • Oct 2008

I've done it plenty of times, I've never heard anybody else say they do it this way so maybe its very dangerous. I don't know. But I just raise it up enough to get the bit out of the material while the jig is in place, fire the router up and drop it into the material. Just try to do it as straight as possible or else there'll be a little bump in the cutout where the router bit went in at an angle.

As for cutting the actual hole I just start the router then use the depth adjustment to sink the bit into the material. With my little weenie 1/4" spiral upcut bit I try to cut through 3/4" mdf in 3 passes.

This may be the worst idea ever, I'm not sure. If so someone here will certainly say so. I do rather like my methods tho. I've used somebody else's plunge router and I was not all that enchanted with having to hold the thing down while making my cuts.

Comment

• Lurkalot
      • Dec 2005

If you have access to a drill press, locate a 3/4" diameter hole such that the outer edge of this hole just touches your through hole layout line (the edge of the circular opening you will cut through with the router). Drill the hole, then you can easily use your fixed-base router to cut an accurate and smooth opening safely, by positioning the router bit in the 3/4" hole, then slowly making your cut. I have done this many many times without any problems.

Comment

• FtWorthHorn
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by evilskillit
        I've used somebody else's plunge router and I was not all that enchanted with having to hold the thing down while making my cuts.
        You shouldn't have to hold it down. My not-that-nice plunge router (Skil 1825) has a clamp such that you depress, hit the depth stop, and then flip the clamp and it holds its depth.

Comment

• a-rone
          • Jan 2010

Thank you all for the suggestions

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"