X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jevmaster5
    • Jan 2010

Low pass filter

Alright, so I am in the process of making a passive subwoofer, using two TB W5-1138sm drivers. I have never before made a low pass filter, let alone designed one, but I was curious if somebody could help me design/build a 350hz low pass filter.
  • 69Stingray
    • Feb 2007

1.) Break in driver
    2.) Measure T/S parameters -OR- use factory spec, which is not ideal
    3.) Model in Unibox
    4.) Export the Freq. and Impedance plots
    5.) Import into Passive Crossover Designer
    6.) Start modeling a textbook 2nd electrical filter @ 350-Hz
    7.) You may have to flatten the impedance curve to get the filter to work correctly.

Here is my exercise, it was harder then I though it was going to be. Also, I haven't updated the thread yet, but I am a little disappointed with my passive sub. There is a sensitivity difference between my main computer speakers and the passive sub.

A small plate amp will solve all of these issues.

Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

Comment

• 69Stingray
      • Feb 2007

You can either use PCD to determine the textbook values (only as starting points, the textbook values will probably not work) or you can use this website, use only the values from the woofer section. Keep in mind, the resistance is the resistance at 350 Hz, which Unibox will tell you.

Online calculator for solving passive two way second order network crossovers for speakers: Chebychev, Bessel, Butterworth and Linkwitz-Riley

Comment

• jevmaster5
        • Jan 2010

THANK YOU! I'm sorry it took so long to reply. i had to find another version of Excel to install....oh well. I followed your direction, after a couple of hours of wrapping my head around everything, I ordered the parts needed. Thanks for your help again!

Comment

• jevmaster5
          • Jan 2010

Quick question. I had to get multiple caps of different sizes, do I run them in series, or in parallel with each other?

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

Typically parallel. Just add the individual values to get the final value.
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• jevmaster5
              • Jan 2010

Thank you a bunch. I read your subwoofer thread; that thing is insane. I find it incredible that it has more output subsonic than mine has peak.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"