X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vlad335
    • Jan 2010

Zaph ZDT3.5 question.

Building home theater speakers for the first time and chose the Zaph Audio ZDT3.5. Well, not building exactly like the plans as I am biamping and using a JBL waveguide for mid/high frequency. However, the cabs are the same ultilizing the Dayton RS180s woofers, cab volume, and ports.

The question I have is concerning the ports. How in the world does someone cut and join these together effectively? Seems it would be difficult if not immpossible getting the cut straight to be joined together without leaks.

I did searches but couldn't find anything. Any help in this area or any tips in general would be greatly appreciated.
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Ports like the Precision port kits have both flares plus a center tube, and slip rings who's ID is the same as the main tubes OD. Those are used to join the flares (front and rear) to the main tube, once it's been cut to the correct length, using PVC welding cement (available at any plumbing/hardware/home improvement store).
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• evilskillit
      • Oct 2008

Welcome to the board, and don't take this the wrong way as I'm not being mean but I can't help but say: This is hilarious, I think the post title should be "Port question" or something, as what your post basically says is "I'm building a ZDT3.5 except for the fact that it is nothing like a ZDT3.5 except the woofer is the same. How do I cut ports." Heh.

Anyways yeah the ports are modular, the ends and middle are separate pieces and when they're sized correctly you join them all together with PVC cement. Cutting them straight is a bit tricky. You can wrap a piece of paper around them to create a straight cut line and then try to cut along that line using a hack saw, coping saw or dremel. Most people say a band saw is the way to go, but most of us don't have those just sitting in the garage. You can try a table saw but that could be a bit dangerous and might not be 100% straight. Me? I used a hacksaw. When the end wasn't completely flat I tried to flatten it out with sandpaper. Worked well enough for me.

Comment

• vlad335
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by evilskillit
        Welcome to the board, and don't take this the wrong way as I'm not being mean but I can't help but say: This is hilarious, I think the post title should be "Port question" or something, as what your post basically says is "I'm building a ZDT3.5 except for the fact that it is nothing like a ZDT3.5 except the woofer is the same. How do I cut ports." Heh.
        Nevermind...

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

Hey, it qualifies as "inspired by"

C
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• evilskillit
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by vlad335
            Nevermind...
            As I said, I'm not being mean at all, don't take it the wrong way. I wish you the best of luck with your build and even posted some helpful and pertinent info. Post just gave me a chuckle is all. Also if you read Zaph's page he lists one of his peeves as people building a design of his but changing it still referring to it as a "zaph blah blah". Granted thats his perogative and in all reality, no concern of yours, but it is specifically pointed out as something he doesn't like. That is another reason this post tickled my funny bone a bit. As CJD says "Inspired by" might be a good byline. I'm sorry if I offended you. I specifically tried to say that was not my intent. Anyways, good luck to you, let us know if you need any more help.

Comment

• Bill Schneider
              • Sep 2007

I'm lucky enough to own a (cheap) bandsaw. It's perfect for cutting ports absolutely square with the addition of a little jig.

For my ZDT3.5 project, I made a right-angle shuttle with a hole large enough for the port to seat without slop. I used a quick-clamp to lock the port into position on the jig, and slid the whole thing against my fancy, clamped-on piece of wood that serves as a fence.
              My audio projects:
              https://www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

• evilskillit
                • Oct 2008

Pretty ingenious. Thats kind of what I imagined, but better and nicer looking. I don't own a band saw

Comment

• vlad335
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by evilskillit
                  As I said, I'm not being mean at all, don't take it the wrong way. I wish you the best of luck with your build and even posted some helpful and pertinent info. Post just gave me a chuckle is all. Also if you read Zaph's page he lists one of his peeves as people building a design of his but changing it still referring to it as a "zaph blah blah". Granted thats his perogative and in all reality, no concern of yours, but it is specifically pointed out as something he doesn't like. That is another reason this post tickled my funny bone a bit. As CJD says "Inspired by" might be a good byline. I'm sorry if I offended you. I specifically tried to say that was not my intent. Anyways, good luck to you, let us know if you need any more help.
                  No problem. I guess it isnt really a complete ZDT3.5 and Inspired By is better suited in this case.

Comment

• vlad335
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Bill Schneider
                    I have a bandsaw but have hardly ever used it. Very inventive and Great idea!

Comment

• stangbat
                      • Jan 2008

I wrapped the port with masking tape at the correct cut length and cut it with my dremel, following the tape line.

As for joining them, PVC cement, model glue, super glue all work. Put the piece inside the cabinet and push it through, then cement the two halfs, then push the outer piece into place.

Comment

• vlad335
                        • Jan 2010

Thanks Stangbat. BTW. Your cabs were one of my inspirations. I used PVC cement and some rubber couplers with clamps I got from Lowes.

Stained the cab tonight and going to start on the baffle next. Never flush mounted drivers before so this will be interesting. Good thing MDF is cheap.

Cool thing about a removable baffle is if I want to go with the mid/tweeter and crossover from the Zaph design I can do so easily. I think this JBL waveguide is going to kick butt for home theater though.

Comment

• Greg Kramer
                          • May 2009

I am curious, What driver for the tweeter?

Comment

• vlad335
                            • Jan 2010

Selenium D220Ti-8 Got the idea from AudioKarma's econowave guide thread.

I have been running 3 of these for my front soundstage. Modded my Acoustech speakers with Dayton waveguides and biamping and it was a HUGE upgrade. The clarity and dynamic range is off the charts compared to my old speakers.

I currently have a JBL horn and driver on the shelf under the center channel and have the Acoustech's horn disconnected. Even though this is not optimal it still sounds great.

The woofers in the Acoustechs are the weak link here so decided to build my own cabs using the Dayton RS180's. When I get some more cash, I may upgrade to BMS drivers.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"