X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kravi4ka
    • Feb 2006

What active XO for sub?

Hi guys,

I was asked by a friend about what active XO for a reasonable amount of money to use between his passive subs and the ZD5s he has. I have never worked with active crossovers and starting to read on what we have here on the forum I understand it is a whole new universe, so please help. I read good things about the DC2496 but isn't that an overkill, he would like to use what Zaph recommended - 80Hz XO point with 12dB for the ZD5 and 4th order for the woofer. Is there a device that is simple to use yet is 100 times (as usual) better than the Bryston 10B sub? ops: TIA
  • Paul W
    • Oct 2004

The CX-2310 is cheaper and will do the basic XO job, but he would give up the parametric EQ flexibility the DCX2496 provides. Most room/speaker combinations need EQ to provide smoother response on the lower end.
    Paul

Comment

• Saurav
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

How about a CX2310 for crossover duty and a DSP1124P (the cheaper 'feedback destroyer') for parametric EQ. That's what I used for a long time, and the two together will cost less than a DCX2496.

Comment

• Space
        • Aug 2009

There's a recent thread about the DCX2496 and some discussion that a pro amp with built-in crossover and EQ functions may be a good choice. Especially if you have passive subs, and not already an amp that you want to use. Check out the Crown XTi 1000. It claims to handle loads down to 2 ohms and has a street price around $400. This amp will do high pass, low pass, shelving filters and parametric EQ. It's also a stereo unit so if you've got bass bins left/right that's handy.

Comment

• Saurav
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

P.S. The feedback destroyer is definitely not what I would call 'simple to use'. The CX2310 crossover is pretty simple. But if you're thinking about room EQ, then you need a measurement microphone setup, and you can use the free RoomEQWizard software, and with that, the feedback destroyer becomes easy to use, since it tells you exactly what values to enter. There are also some tutorials scattered around online.

If you don't care about room EQ, then as Paul said, the CX2310 would handle the crossover job.

Comment

• JonP
            • Apr 2006

If you get measurement setup for REW and the BFD... its definitely worth getting the MIDI adapter as well. For $30 or so more, you get the ability to download REW determined settings into the Feedback Destroyer memory slots, in about 15 sec flat. That graduates it to something like pretty simple to use.

Lots of saved time while trying out various things, different tweaked filter settings, house curves, etc.

I was unexpectedly impressed with the difference a BFD made, evening out the bass response.

There are other alternatives to the Behringer crossover, smaller, simpler hi/low pass filter combos. Advantages... smaller, possibly cheaper. Disadvantages... more work, less flexibility. Though once you get your basic cross tune set right... you shouldn't need to change it, especially if you have a BFD for EQ.

You'd probably be hard pressed to purchace one built that would be cheaper. A kit might be, if you're up for that. Hard to beat the price on that Behringer though...

Marchand is an example, check out the XM1. Little pricey, pretty cheap if you buy a bare board and parts, and stuff it yourself. (Afraid he's phazing out kits though) You could hide it inside of the sub, or amp, or whatever. But not everyone want's to get in this deep. I kind of like it, though.... :T

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Then, there's the contrarian/impossible recommendation, find a good used Sumo Delilah crossover- switchable high pass with only unity gain discrete class A buffer, switchable low pass, pretty dang neutral if setup carefully- minimum damage to the signal path.

Of course, they're rare as hens teeth. Of course, I have one. :W

On a budget, I'd suggest the 2310 also. On less of a budget, I'd suggest a Marchand XM44, very configurable- but to optimize you probably should have some measurement capability.
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• kravi4ka
                • Feb 2006

Thanks for the advise guys! Looks like the new 2010 is going to be one great year! Wish you all more free time!

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"