Views:	26
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	948527

Click image for larger version

Name:	f_seas_prestige_loudspeaker_woofer__h1571_u18rnx_p.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	948528
    Last edited by theSven; 25 August 2023, 09:15 Friday. Reason: Update image location
    Website
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

I doubt it since it hasn't reached most distributors yet.

Comment

• Face
      • Mar 2007

I'd like to try a pair of those out.
      SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• Jonasz
        • Nov 2004

It's already been deemed inferior to the ER18.

There's a new Seas twoway using U18RNX/P and the DXT tweeter available. Off axis respons looks awesome just like Mark K's new design. http://www.mamut.net/dynabel/idunn_.pdf
        Last edited by theSven; 24 August 2023, 18:22 Thursday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• chrismercurio
          • May 2007

Sonus Faber has a variant in their Liuto line...

Comment

• Jed
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Jonasz
            It's already been deemed inferior to the ER18.

https://www.htguide.com/forum/showth...ighlight=idunn
            ā€‹
            In that thread I made the mistake of comparing the ER18 to the U16. The U18 appears to be a close cousin of the ER18- which means it should perform really well.
            Last edited by theSven; 24 August 2023, 18:23 Thursday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• Carl V
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by chrismercurio
              Sonus Faber has a variant in their Liuto line...
              well, what do you know.
              I heard that driver this Fall
              while I was in Italy. I
              spied a hi-fi shop in Milan.
              And I didn't want to do any shopping.

I listened to a nice 3-way in this line
              It apparently had this 6 " poly/textile
              midrange(mid-woofer) it also had a 9"
              metal woofer (alu.mag) & 1" tweeter.

They were driving it with Chord &/or Einstein.

Initially they had them on the long wall, near the corners.
              they moved them out away from the corners (but the guy
              placed them equal distances about 3 ft from back & side wall)
              and they sounded warm & a bit thick in the bass/lower midrange.
              So, I suggested another foot in from the side wall.
              AH! now it sounded better. Their owner liked wide placement.
              But it didn't work in this room or with these speakers. The
              salespeople (not owners), smiled & liked the new sound.
              It was lively and fun sounding. Great detail & nice bass impact.
              SOundstage was now wide & deep. Great imaging. Toe tapping.
              Damn but a good 3-way can really sing. We had fun for about
              a half an hour once we set 'em up "properly' imho. They seemed
              to like it as well. It was entertaining having them spin discs
              that they thought I might like & that might show off the Liuto.

Back to the sidewall & out came some Wilson Bensch ACT C60.
              Very nice... a different sonic presentation this is a 2 1/2 way
              with a super tweeter. This was smooth with nearly as much bass impact.
              But very detailed. Much more coslty too. But it wasn't as 'lively' sounding.
              It didn't like to be driven hard....or at least in that room. But it was
              a helluva nice sound.

So based on this audition in an unknown room, with unknown gear
              with some new tunes (grain of salt) I'd say this was a nice driver. :P
              I was told the mid-bass cross was about 350Hz.

Comment

• villastrangiato
                • Jan 2010

The low coil inductance certainly explains the outrageously high bandwidth for a 6.5 in - but then the off axis response serves as a reminder of how useful that really is - same performance as other 7 inch drivers from SEAS and others - 20 to 25 db down at 3khz. Kinda makes you wonder what so called high end designers like Rockport Technologies see in a $500 Audio Technology midrange when half of the extended high frequency response is essentially unusable due to the unavoidable physical size of the driver's diaphragm. But then, I suspect most of the folks looking to buy a 60K pair of Rockport speakers are already primed to suspend their disbelief of the hard realities of physics - who could argue that a 500lb. living room paper weight HAS to sound better, right? :roll:

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Well, the description of a heavy copper ring below the pole piece sounds very ER18RNX'ish- the Xmax is the same, motor may be very similar, but the lower inductance would seem to indicate a difference in the VC construction or the amount of copper in the gap- less than half of the ER18RNX! Sd is less due to the phase plug- and at times I see behavior approaching the the breakup point in phase plug drivers from Seas that I don't like- at least not the metal ones! Almost the same moving mass, but different VAS and QTS, and lower QES for the ER18, too. Curious.

But this driver does look to be well controlled, and while I wouldn't justify using higher than a 2 kHz crossover point, it should be possible to do it there quite nicely- and the folks who like "sexy" may prefer this to the ER18RNX. In practice I'd say you'd have to listen to both closely to make a reasoned decision- unless, of course, this one costs significantly more- which, with a phase plug, it may well.

As Madisound and Solen don't have any, it's more or less an intellectual exercise for now.
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• villastrangiato
                    • Jan 2010

I suppose despite the inherent dispersion issues associated with the overall driver size (phase plug or no) the relatively flat response out to ridiculousville provides significant advantages over say the W18EX001 - no significant peaks in the passband to deal with and no need for crossover gymnastics to deal with Liberty Bell like ringing at 4.5 to 5K. So while the crossover point remains essentially the same with the poly cone - getting there should certainly be a lot easier.

And it should be interesting to see how the better damped poly cone compares with its metal coned brethren in suppressing odd ordered harmonics.

Comment

• Face
                      • Mar 2007

Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

I wonder if the funny lumpy bit/dip in the response around 800, as shown in the Idunn measured performance, has any relationship to the impedance bobble in the same area? Usually that indicates a driver mechanical resonance, either in cone or surround. Unfortunate. The ER18RNX has a little bit of misbehavior there, but only about 1/3 as much.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LittleSnapper.jpg
Views:	1605
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	854267

Contrast that with this measured response of the ER18RNX in an MT.

Unfortunately the stuff the Idunn is doing there is pretty typical kind of things for plastic cones misbehavior- like the upper end of the HiVi D6.8 or Jantzen JA6008 beyond where you should use them.

They really ought to put in an impedance zobel for the network, too, IMO. Of course, they didn't ask me... 6 to one swing in impedance will have interactions with many amplifiers.

This isn't that hard to achieve.

Last edited by theSven; 24 August 2023, 18:24 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Obi-Wan
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• jkrutke
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                          I wonder if the funny lumpy bit/dip in the response around 800, as shown in the Idunn measured performance, has any relationship to the impedance bobble in the same area? Usually that indicates a driver mechanical resonance, either in cone or surround. Unfortunate. The ER18RNX has a little bit of misbehavior there, but only about 1/3 as much.
                          I think I'm going to withhold any judgement on the new U18's until they are tested by myself, you or Mark. One thing to keep in mind: that response curve is an in-box curve... and that box is the same one that Bjorn Idland used when he posted a whole boatload of in-box Seas woofer curves a couple years ago. The thing about those curves is that every single one of them had a response artifact right at the same spot. It was either insufficient internal damping or a lack of a chamfered backside woofer hole. (probably the latter)

I expect the U18's to be slightly different in performance, mainly because of the phase plug compared to the dust cap. I wouldn't mind testing one someday.
                          Zaph|Audio

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by jkrutke
                            I think I'm going to withhold any judgement on the new U18's until they are tested by myself, you or Mark. One thing to keep in mind: that response curve is an in-box curve... and that box is the same one that Bjorn Idland used when he posted a whole boatload of in-box Seas woofer curves a couple years ago. The thing about those curves is that every single one of them had a response artifact right at the same spot. It was either insufficient internal damping or a lack of a chamfered backside woofer hole. (probably the latter)

That's a very good point, John- something I overlooked thinking about that.

So, who's going to go first? Maybe some eager party will buy one and send it to you- I'm a bit tapped out on driver expenditures already this year! (too many new interesting Scanspeaks...)
                            the AudioWorx
                            Natalie P
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Obi-Wan
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Z3Sooner
                              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                              That's a very good point, John- something I overlooked thinking about that.

So, who's going to go first? Maybe some eager party will buy one and send it to you- I'm a bit tapped out on driver expenditures already this year! (too many new interesting Scanspeaks...)
                              I have two sitting in my closet right now, just waiting for me to get a test rig set up. On the other hand, it would probably be much quicker to send one to John and I'm sure He'd get much better information, considering I've never tested a driver before.

John, let me know if you are interested.
                              Last edited by Z3Sooner; 18 February 2010, 02:26 Thursday.

Comment

• jkrutke
                                • Dec 2005

Took me a while to find our discussion on the U18, but I thought I would just comment that there is indeed a little dip in response even on my test baffle. It wasn't quite as freaky looking as what's in the Idunn documentation, but it's definitely there on a rigid and well ventilated infinite baffle. It's kind of a broad dip.

Elsewhere I was pondering how this sort of response curve would sound in room, considering a peak from floor reflection often happens in the area where that dip is. I suspect it's not going to sound nearly as bad as it looks.

Aside from that dip, the rest of the driver is excellent including the top end response and tall order HD. I'm not sure if I'd prefer the ER18 over the U18. I've got an appropriate box around and I might whip something up and give it a listen.

I expect the U18's to be slightly different in performance, mainly because of the phase plug compared to the dust cap. I wouldn't mind testing one someday.
                                Zaph|Audio

Comment

• NyxOne
                                  • Jan 2008

Took me a while to find our discussion on the U18, but I thought I would just comment that there is indeed a little dip in response even on my test baffle. It wasn't quite as freaky looking as what's in the Idunn documentation, but it's definitely there on a rigid and well ventilated infinite baffle. It's kind of a broad dip.

Elsewhere I was pondering how this sort of response curve would sound in room, considering a peak from floor reflection often happens in the area where that dip is. I suspect it's not going to sound nearly as bad as it looks.

Aside from that dip, the rest of the driver is excellent including the top end response and tall order HD. I'm not sure if I'd prefer the ER18 over the U18. I've got an appropriate box around and I might whip something up and give it a listen.
                                  A side from this lump (and maybe the price) everything looks good on this woofer :

1. No breakup
                                  2. Low THD (better low and high then the ER18, unless I'm wrong ?)
                                  3. Goes deep in small enclosure (with a 6mm of xmax to back it up ).
                                  4. 8 Ohm and 90db (average) of efficiency (based on the frequency response plot).

A pair of these in an MTM array would be really great (Goes deep, efficient with low THD)! 8)

Most go ... buy ... two pair NOW!!!

Chuck

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"