X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodworker_Jon
    • Dec 2009

"Old Skool" Paradigm driver question

I have the opportunity to pick up a set of early 90's Paradigm 9 Se speakers for less than $100. I know that both tweeters have been replaced with a more recent Vifa offering (I do not know the model at this time) but the original woofers are sound and the speakers sound great. Does anyone know what woofers came in these speakers and what tweeter they would have left the factory with? Also, does anyone know the currently available tweeter that would be closest to matching those originally provided?

I might grab them just for the drivers if they are worth it or might just make sure the best replacement tweeter is in place and use them that way.

Thank you.
    He who dies with the most tools wins.
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

The woofers are likely custom Paradigm drivers. They make some of their own drivers.

There are a lot of great drivers out there these days for great prices, such as the Dayton RS and Zaph's. Even some of the less expensive drivers are great. For $100, if the speakers sound great, I would leave them as is. Just enjoy them. You'll be in for just as much or more work trying to reuse those old drivers than starting from new.

Don't mean to sound like a downer. But it is never as simple as just dropping in a replacement driver. (well that is if you want top quality results)
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Woodworker_Jon
      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by ---k---
      You'll be in for just as much or more work trying to reuse those old drivers than starting from new.
      That was really more my intent to reuse the drivers rather than to use the speakers in their current configuration. The cabinets are a little less than mint so I thought if it made sense I would snag them, listen to them as is until I got my current project done, and then reuse the drivers in a new project. I think I will pass on them now that I know they are likely not "standard" drivers with published specs.

Thanks for the info.
      He who dies with the most tools wins.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"