X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xyrium
    • Nov 2009

Unibox numbers for SS 18W/8531

Can someone else run the calcs on this driver (Scanspeak 18W/8531) using a 28.5l vented box? I want to use PE boxes of either .999 ft³ (28.29l), or 1.010 ft³ (28.6l). I'm getting the feeling that these results are off.

Here's what I get using 28.5l:

Design by Vb, Fb and Q
    Physical Vb 28.5 l
    Absorption, Qa 80
    Leakage, Ql 15
    Port, Qp 80
    Alpha, a 2.035
    Vb 29.0 l
    Fb 40.28 Hz
    F3 38.02 Hz
    Response peak 2.89 dB
    Peak at 58.08 Hz
    Port min dia. 6.82 cm
    Port length 43.01 cm
    Port 1. resonance 358 Hz

The parameters I used for the driver are:

Fs 28.50 Hz
    Re 5.80 Ohm
    Qms 5.10
    Qes 0.39
    Sd 150.0 cm2
    Vas 59.0 l
    Xmax peak 6.50 mm
    (Le) 0.35 mH
    (Le2) 0.00 mH
    (Re2) 0.00 Ohm
    Nominal Power 70.0 W
    Paul
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

The 8531 requires a very large box to go ported. In 28L, you're better off sealed, unless you like the bump in the FR and the higher Q (ringing!).

Also, you should not take SS T/S parameters at face value, but measure yourself - Smith and Larsen Woofer tester 2 is a good tool for that, especially to get high accuracy measurements using a PC.

the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jonasz
      • Nov 2004

Here you go: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=23892

Comment

• xyrium
        • Nov 2009

Thanks Jon. I don't mind going higher than 35Hz (as the ported designs have been reported to achieve). In fact, if ported, I would accept 45Hz. I know these are truly novice questions, so please excuse my ignorance. I was under the impression that a driver needs a fairly high Qts (above 40) to be suited for sealed. The 8531 seems to maintain numbers below that, so I was concerned. This said, it appears the system Q target is 0.707, so I'll keep that as a constant in Unibox, I just don't know if the numbers it is spitting out are accurate since I'm simply taking all of the numbers from an existing DDBase entry, and editing just the driver info in the left corner.

The goal for this project is an F3 of 50Hz along with the ultimate in sound quality.

So, guys, do these numbers look right? I ask because Zaph used a 38l for his vented design, and Unibox wants a 56-58l, which seems ridiculous, and it's recommending a 22.9l for the sealed version. Maybe I can ask Madisound to test a pair of woofs before they ship 'em to me and give me the T/S info.

Closed Box
        Standard Design
        Vb 20.9 l
        Fb 54.40 Hz
        F3 54.41 Hz
        Qtc 0.707
        Response peak 0.00 dB
        Max power input 12.3 W

Design by Vb and Q
        Physical Vb 22.3 l
        Absorption, Qa 20
        Leakage, Ql 30
        Alpha, a 2.574
        Vb 23.7 l
        Fb 51.95 Hz
        F3 52.48 Hz
        Qtc 0.706
        Response peak 0.00 dB
        Peak at none

Originally posted by JonMarsh
        The 8531 requires a very large box to go ported. In 28L, you're better off sealed, unless you like the bump in the FR and the higher Q (ringing!).

Also, you should not take SS T/S parameters at face value, but measure yourself - Smith and Larsen Woofer tester 2 is a good tool for that, especially to get high accuracy measurements using a PC.

http://www.woofertester.com/
        Last edited by xyrium; 08 December 2009, 16:26 Tuesday.
        Paul

Comment

• xyrium
          • Nov 2009

Thanks Jonas. I had those numbers, but for some reason, I think I may be missing something else since I'm getting some interesting results. I have to find a Unibox FAQ I suppose. Thanks again!

Originally posted by Jonasz
          Paul

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Note Curt's comments- with a Qts of 0.5, you'd normally go sealed. Going ported without a peak in the response requires a large box and tuning below driver Fs to pull off a smooth response. Somewhere at home I've got a Unibox design I worked out for 2 8531 ported, and it was ginormous. Good driver Q for ported is 0.25 to 0.35. 0.5 just isn't a typical alignment. With that Q I'd go sealed with a series cap to tune the total woofer system Q; that way you can optimize response for room placement and get by with a smaller box, too- sometimes up to 50% smaller.

I've got a couple of designs in the works using this concept. IF the 8531's weren't so bloody expensive, I'd consider them for the treatment, too!
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• xyrium
              • Nov 2009

I agree, that given their expense, they become difficult for the enthusiast to build multiple projects from. However, I don't plan on doing too many of these (I know, famous last words, and the same that was said when I did Zaph's L15). So, this could be the best two way standmount available. If they could hold me over for about 5 years, I'd be ecstatic!

If Madisound says they'll agree to measure before they ship, and the numbers look good for sealed, then I'll go sealed. I'll keep you guys posted if I move forward with it. I'll take measurements using REW, and post some waterfall plots. The cabinet is most likely going to be the PE 1cu ft straight cab (the curved models are nice, but I want to easily add braces and squares are easy )
              Paul

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"