Need a nice multichannel volume control?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gbegland
    • Apr 2005

Need a nice multichannel volume control?

Hi all. Bought one of these MSB MVC things a few weeks ago.

I took it over to mastering engineer Bob Katz studio this weekend to do a direct comparison to his Crane Song multichannel monitor controller.

Notice that the surround version of this thing costs over $6000 USD!!!

Well, in a direct shoot out, instantaeously switchable, level matched comparison, the sound btw the two units was almost identical. Can't beat that for $399!

Greg Begland - www.phatplanetstudios.com
  • numberoneoppa
    • Sep 2009

Looks like a mixer w/o EQs. :P
    -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• AJINFLA
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by gbegland
      Well, in a direct shoot out, instantaeously switchable, level matched comparison, the sound btw the two units was almost identical. Can't beat that for $399!
      Not to mention that, unlike the $6k Crane Song, the MSB has a remote, for true couch potatoes like me.

cheers,

AJ
      Manufacturer

Comment

• gbegland
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by AJINFLA
        Not to mention that, unlike the $6k Crane Song, the MSB has a remote, for true couch potatoes like me.

cheers,

AJ
        Well, to be honest, the Cranes DOES come with a rather nice wired remote control.

:E

Greg

Comment

• DancesWithBeers
          • Dec 2008

I've got the MVC too and it works and sounds great. It was also the cheapest option for a volume control with remote for the dcx2496.

Comment

• Face
            • Mar 2007

You can always get a 6 channel stepped attenuator and build a nice case for it.

SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• DancesWithBeers
              • Dec 2008

Interesting solution. Would there be an easy way to add remote control?

Comment

• Doug Fraser
                • Apr 2004

There is a remote available

Go to http://www.bentaudio.com/index2.html

Click on Stepped Attenuator Remotes.

From the site:

"The Stepped Switch remote system allows you to add remote control to Goldpoint or Dact stepped attenuators"

Doug

Comment

• dwk
                  • Apr 2005

Okay, maybe this doesn't merit reviving a dead thread, but I finally got around to hooking up the MSB MVC I picked up a while ago, and have to say that on initial listen I'm quite impressed. Definitely recommended if you have a need for a multi-channel volume control - great value at the price.

Comment

• AdelaaR
                    • Dec 2010

I don't see why these things have to be so incredibly expensive just for a volume control.
                    Don't most surround receivers have a built in volume control per channel?
                    Don't most external decoders have a built in volume control too?
                    What is the added benefit of an analog volume control if the DAC can simply digitally process the volume without any loss of fidelity and then recreate the analog signal with the chosen volume settings?
                    My external signal processor with DAC and remote and volume setting per channel cost me about 100€

Comment

• dlr
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by dwk
                      Okay, maybe this doesn't merit reviving a dead thread, but I finally got around to hooking up the MSB MVC I picked up a while ago, and have to say that on initial listen I'm quite impressed. Definitely recommended if you have a need for a multi-channel volume control - great value at the price.
                      It's an excellent unit. I've been using it for quite some time with my PC-based setup with SoundEasy. I don't need the monitor, keyboard nor mouse and I get remote volume control. Also why I like a music PC with the Roku music server, the PCs stay on, but out of the way as dedicated units.

Another nice thing about it is that the MVC is 8-channel. You can control a 4-way (I'll do that maybe in the spring). For now it's on my 3-way with a channel as pass-through to the subwoofer.

dlr
                      Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"