X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mazurek
    • Mar 2006

fun diagnosing electronics

I solved my problem today, but I thought some people here might be interested in the process. I have active speakers and performance is quite acceptable, but I hear a small buzz from my speakers when it the music is off and the area is quiet.

Potential culprits:
    -active crossover board situated immediately above power supply due to limited space (with aluminum mounting plate and copper ground plane providing electrical shielding)
    -on crossover filtering is limited to small poly bypass capacitors
    -an edit was made which involves a small extra board wired to with unshielded wires
    -psu is straightforward datasheet implementation of standard regulators without any extreme filtering or snubbing

I was avoiding testing because I didn't want to make a measurement jig to safely measure my psu ripple with my sound card based analyzer. I checked with my multimeter and it showed < 3mV. I got smart and realized I don't care about psu ripple, I care about the noise floor on the output. So I hooked up the output to ARTA's spectrum analyzer.

Here is the baseline noise floor, it's quite low relative to full scale but not acceptable:

Click image for larger version

Name:	no_shield.png
Views:	258
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	870136

So I tested: massively increased psu capacitance on crossover board, crossover board without edit, and board location. Board location was the only thing that made any difference. So I thought to myself, uh-oh, do I need to buy some expensive mu-metal or make a full sub-enclosure. Then I rummaged around and found some giant steel washers in my bin. I placed those on top of the aluminum mounting plate and the problem is mostly gone, and now inaudible. I'm hoping replacing the aluminum plate with a full steel plate will kill the rest, but its quite inaudible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	shield.png
Views:	211
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	870137

The reason why I posted this is that a lot of people in this hobby don't really measure and look for root cause, and they may just resort to glomming on more junk until the percieved problem is solved. If I hadn't measured, I might have kept the extra capacitance as a safety blanket. Turns out my solution was quite cheap, I will just replace the aluminum mounting plate with a steel one. No need for mu-metal or massive increase in bypass capacitance to address this problem.

Thanks for listening,
    Lee
    Last edited by theSven; 15 August 2023, 14:19 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
  • HokieAudio
    • Mar 2009

Very cool analysis, and I'm sure it was very satisfying to come up with a solution like that! EMI problems are always interesting to me, I've found Henry Ott's book "Noise Reduction Techniques in Electronics Systems" to be a good source for tips on both finding and dealing with noise issues. It was also the textbook for my grad level EMI course here at Virginia Tech. Electronics Goldmine sells sheets of Ultraperm 80 ($5 for 7" x 12") which has a permiability of 400000 at 50 Hz and has an adhesive backing on it. I think you could peel-and-stick a sheet of this to your existing shielding and achieve superior results to a steel plate. I'm not sure what the rules are for linking to their website but google should lead you there pretty easily.

Comment

• mazurek
      • Mar 2006

Thanks for the resource, I will have to put it on my list of books to buy soon. That is a very good price for shielding material, it could also allow me to keep my easy to machine aluminum mounting plates. If the steel plates turn out to be a pain to cut, I will just use adhesive backed shielding.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"