X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Curt C
    • Feb 2005

The Maverick's: A Quasi-Transient Perfect 3-way TL design

The Mav's write up is on my site, complete with the BOM and cabinet drawings. It's a fairly simple build. -OK, you have to measure a couple of angles, but TL's are actually quite tolerant of small variations in volume, line length, and taper, so you can't mess up so badly that a lot of glue can't fix it. :B For those who consider such things important, it can reproduce a square wave fairly accurately, and has an interesting soundstage that many found quite enjoyable.

Considering its modest cost, at around $425.00 in QTP form, it's performance was well received at Iowa DIY this year. -Interestingly enough, most everyone had a preference as to which crossover topography they preferred, but those preferences were split just about 50/50. Fortunately, the design can have both topographies incorporated, so one doesn't have to agonize over which one will be the most appropriate for a given situation.

C

Curt's Speaker Design Works
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Great job as usual and a great sounding speaker. It stole the show at the Iowa DIY event. :T

Jim

Comment

• TacoD
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2004

How does the flat cone tang band sound? I also looked at its spec, but I was not sure if it would work.

Comment

• Curt C
        • Feb 2005

Considering the mid passband is from about 325 Hz to nearly 10 kHz, the abilities of the midrange driver has more of an effect on the quality of the final sound in this design than usual. –And the little TB doesn’t disappoint.
        –It’s not perfect mind you, but it’s flaws can be easily overlooked. It’s resolution is (almost) on par with the Accuton C92 in my reference system, and like the Accuton, doesn’t exhibit the typical hard cone sound of many metal drivers. The dip between 2 and 3 Khz gives the little TB a bit of a reticent sound, and male vocals do not have the weight in the lower midrange that the Accuton exhibits. –But then, what 4” driver does? All in all, considering its cost, I feel it is an excellent product.

–And there is also its more upscale sibling, the W4-1798. While I’ve not tried it yet, it doesn’t show evidence of the dip in response, nor the bump in impedance. -At least on the TB plots. –And WAY too many screw holes for a 4” frame… :rofl:

Considering the wide frequency and power response of these drivers, it either makes that expensive tweeter superfluous, -or you can cross to it with low order slopes.

C
        Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"