X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Who makes a decent drill press?

I bought a shopfox cabinet saw and working on getting some other tools as well. I was reading that the Shop Fox drill presses aren't that great? So I was curious if you guys could point me to a good one. I'm looking for a nice floor mount that runs on single phase electric (120 or 220 either doesn't matter) I will be using it for wood and light aluminum work mostly. Budget is around ~500 bucks but if something is just outside the budget and extremely good I'm a bit flexible.
  • Bill Schneider
    • Sep 2007

I've been very happy with my 15" Sears floor-standing unit AFTER I replaced the stock drill chuck with a good Jacobs chuck and new tapered arbor for it (~$100 total for both from McMaster Carr). Other than the runout I experienced with the standard chuck and arbor, I've had NO trouble with the unit.

I purchased the drill press ten years ago, but even then it was made in Asia.
    My audio projects:
    http://www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
      • Oct 2009

Drill Press

I have had a Delta 12" that I have been very happy with. I mounted it on a common base that serves many benchtop tools to save space. I put up some 18" wide shelves with copious bracing underneath to store all the benchtop tools like grinder, scroll saw, drill press, compound mitre saw etc... I would base my purchase on how deep a speaker I would want to build. Ideally you drill holes prior to assembly, but more than once I have put an entire enclosure on the press. Anything much larger than 12" will be a free standing tool that will take up more space in the garage.

Here are a couple of good choices:
      <ul><li>Motor size: 1/2 HP, 110V<li>Swing: 13"<li>Drill chuck: 5/8"<li>Arbor: JT-3<li>Spindle travel: 3-3/16"<li>Number of speeds: 16<li>Range of speeds: 230 - 3,270 RPM<li>Table size: 11-3/8" dia.<li>Table tilts 45 degrees<li>left and right<li>Quick access chuck guard<li>Overall height: 39"<li>Approximate shipping weight: 107 lbs</ul>

Your power tool and industrial equipment superstore, carrying top brands including Dewalt, Milwaukee, Greenlee, Ridgid, and many more

Here's a good article from Lowe's on how to choose one:
      "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
      -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• Rolex
        • Mar 2005

I've got this one:

The best around is powermatic as far as I'm concerned. I think they go for $899.

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

If I remember right, the last review I read (Fine Woodworking I think) put Ridgid and Delta at the top of the list for floor-mount models - I believe runout was the biggest change between brands. Been a couple years. I have a Ridgid (not even all that expensive) and can say it works smoothly, and runout is superb. As I was drilling tuning pegs for my violin (one got stuck and broke - ebony doesn't break easily!) and I do some other metal work with fine bits, that was important to me.

C
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• jeffc
            • Feb 2009

Steel City is a nice unit but a bit over budget, has 6" quill travel which is not commonly found in this price range.

Comment

• Paul W
              • Oct 2004

Don't forget to check Craigslist for good ol' gear. I'm still using the floorstanding Sears drill press my father bought close to 60 years ago. Though the chuck is nearly worn out, it runs like a top. Let's see...4-5 belts and a chuck in 60 years...not bad.
              Paul

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

I found some reviews that put Grizzly and Jet as the top contenders for floor mounts. I'll have to check out some of your suggestions though.

Comment

• bemis23
                  • May 2009

I work in a large defense-industry manufacturing facility and the drill presses used in our factory are ALL Powermatics. We have an auction coming up relatively soon for our used equipment. I don't know if there will be anything useful (like a drill press - lol ) coming up for auction, but if I see anything I'll post a link here for the auction. If need be we can work out a deal where I can buy it (I believe they only sell local) and ship it a buyer at cost - although shipping might be cost prohibitive on a floor standing 12-15" drill press. Let me know if there is anyone is interested.

Comment

• JoshK
                    • Mar 2005

I have a floor mounted Ridgid. I love it. I bought it used on Craigslist. So it was a super bargain. I haven't wanted for anything yet that the Ridgid isn't capable of. I use it a lot for electronics chassis building.

So just another vote that the Ridgid is quite nice and affordable.

Before that, I had a small Grizzy benchtop drill press. There were at least two things that left me wanting. One was the drill to pillar distance (forget the term) that made it limited in what you could use it for. The other was manual up/down setting rather than a rolling adjustor. Those two points made me sell it. I wished I hadn't sold it now and had it setup for chassis working solely, but live and learn.

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Well, this is for a small business my brother and I are going to be starting up. We're now considering getting a business loan and really getting some nice tools. So in this case the Powermatic Drill Press as well as a few other of their items may be in our margin. We'll see how it plans out just doing a bit of planning at this step. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"