X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul H
    • Feb 2004

In-Ceiling Speakers

I`m looking for designs or suggestions for in-ceiling speakers - I didn`t find anything in searches of this site.

I want to install one pair as rear surrounds for HT in our family room, and two more pairs in other rooms for music. I`m looking for good quality.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul
  • evilskillit
    • Oct 2008

Here is a forum post from someone who made a pair of boxes to put the Madisound RB kit in ceiling.

They didn't modify the crossover in any way, but the crossover was supposedly adapted from an in-wall crossover anyway so it might not matter. I'm sure some people here can give you better ideas and advice but this has some nice pictures of a way that some one adapted a small bookshelf speaker for in ceiling, complete with plenty of internal volume and ports.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Paul,

Do they need to be shallow to fit in a studbay or can they be deeper?

If they can be deeper you might consider a prosound coax.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Paul H
        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by ThomasW
        Paul,

Do they need to be shallow to fit in a studbay or can they be deeper?

If they can be deeper you might consider a prosound coax.

They can be deeper - This is for the ground floor ceiling in a bungalow, so I have a whole attic space they can go into...

What diameter would you suggest?

Thanks,

Paul

Comment

• madisonears
          • Nov 2008

Coax is the way to go in a ceiling. Take a look at the Loki kit from Madisound. I built 3 for my kitchen ceiling, and they sound great. Cabinets I built fit between the joists without protruding into the space above.

Peace,
          Tom E

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Paul H
            What diameter would you suggest?
            What's the budget?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Paul H
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by ThomasW
              What's the budget?
              Say $150 per speaker for driver(s), plus crossovers and woodwork - it's flexible - less would be great but I'd spend more to get a better quality product.

As these are ceiling speakers, I'm shooting for "good bookshelf quality", not ultra-high-end cost-no-object.

Thanks,
              Paul

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"