X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 69Stingray
    • Feb 2007

Slightly OT, BUT Not Really: Yet Another Enclosure Material Thread

Was just watching MythBusters. They made a 1" sheet out of duct tape. It was able to withstand being the back end of a cannon. The duct tape was laid down in an alternating pattern. Could be an interesting enclosure material. Not sure how stiff it would be. Damping should be high though.
  • Txgrizzly
    • Jun 2009

wow that would be a lot of tape...

Comment

• Hank
      Super Senior Member
      • Jul 2002

Make sure you use 3M duct tape :W

Uh-oh, shilling again - hope Thomas doesn't notice.

Comment

• evilskillit
        • Oct 2008

I watched that episode of Mythbusters myself. Surprisingly duct tape speaker enclosures did not occour to me. There are a few issues tho. Duct tape isn't ridged so the box might deform over time, and the other big draw back that I could see is... duct tape smells bad. Take a whiff of a roll some time, its not pleasant smelling stuff, and in that quantity housing warm speakers and a warm crossover network it would probably smell often and for quite a while, and I can't even imagine how bad it would smell while cutting and or routing it.

But dampening a wooden enclosure with an inch of duct tape would probably make it pretty dead, and if you're that guy who has a duct tape wallet, and or coat, car etc then some duct tape speakers would probably fit nicely into your collection.

Comment

• 69Stingray
          • Feb 2007

I was half joking with the Duct Tape enclosure....I had just finish watching the show and was impressed. If you think about it, duct is made up of thread, so as you alternate the pattern, you are almost getting a fiberglass like structure.

It would be an interesting enclosure lining I think. I don't have the patience though

Comment

• evilskillit
            • Oct 2008

Yeah I was just playing along with the gag. There really are weirdos out there with duct tape wallets, jackets, pants and even cars, they'd probably really would go for your duct tape speakers.

Just do a google image search for duct tape clothes.

Comment

• PMazz
              • May 2001

I think it started as "Duck Tape" IIRC, as a military term.
              Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Hank
                Make sure you use 3M duct tape :W

Uh-oh, shilling again - hope Thomas doesn't notice.
                If we didn't like and use 3M products so much Hank, I'd have to put you on notice/probation. Sure wish I could still get 2070 tape- how about bringing that one back? At the rate I'm using my stockpile, it's going to run out in a year or two. About the same time I run out of Whispermat. Maybe that means at that point I should shift from speaker DIY back to electronic for a bit... :lol:
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• evilskillit
                  • Oct 2008

Hey, apparently we aren't the first brilliant minds to come up with the duct tape enclosure. Check out this piece of quality engineering.

This is the most obvious advancement in the history of audio. SAS (Super Awesome Speakers) has five patents pending on extreme developements in audiophile grade speaker system world. It's unique design enables you the sucker, I mean customer to get the best audio system in the world...

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"