Budget project to fill my time - recommendations?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bemis23
    • May 2009

Budget project to fill my time - recommendations?

Well while I'm waiting and saving up to build some large 3-way towers for my HT I want to start on a budget-oriented 2-way build to occupy my time and whatever spare money I can find. While browsing through Brian's new database (thanks Brian!) I came across Lou C's website and happened up the Cryolite design. I was wondering if anyone could provide some listening impressions or comparisons. At $220/r for the electronics using nice drivers I am very interested in them - especially since I hear so many people praise the Neo3 ribbons, and I've not ever heard a pair myself.

Another thought I've had is to pick up the TriTrix recession destroyer kit from PE. At $120 it's almost in impulse purchase territory. My goal is to keep these <$200/pr for electronics, but I can consider something up to about $250/pr. Over that and it will really start settin me back towards the $600-$800 I'm budgeting for my future mains.
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

One of Brandon's designs would be great or maybe one of Paul C.'s creations (aka undefinition). Can't say I've heard any of Brandon's speakers yet, but I know Paul C. has a good ear for voicing speakers and he has a few very affordable options.

Comment

• bemis23
      • May 2009

Originally posted by Jed
      One of Brandon's designs would be great or maybe one of Paul C.'s creations (aka undefinition). Can't say I've heard any of Brandon's speakers yet, but I know Paul C. has a good ear for voicing speakers and he has a few very affordable options.

I'm already looking at one of Paul C.'s designs (the Overnight Sensations) for a small desktop speaker I've got nothing against building two projects from the same builder, I just want to try out as many designers' creations as possible. I figure I might learn more different things this way.

Another design I've been considering is John K.'s BAMTM - price has risen to about $240/pr from $175/pr but it's still in a doable range.

Comment

• Undefinition
        • Dec 2006

Thanks for the compliments, Jed!
        I think I've only heard one Lou C design, however, he's a really nice guy, and he does good work. Everyone who has built his Cryolites says they like them. He's got some other solid, affordable designs on his site as well.

You know what might also be good to try out would be Scott Sehlin's (mudjock) RS150 + BG Neo3 design. I forget the name, but I heard it at DIY Iowa 2007, and it's a great speaker.
        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
        Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• savage25xtreme
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by bemis23
          Another design I've been considering is John K.'s BAMTM - price has risen to about $240/pr from $175/pr but it's still in a doable range.
          when I did mine in the spring they were right at $300 with binding posts and everything minus MDF and finish.
          Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• DannyT
            • Jul 2009

Or you could get the new Zaph kit at Madisound.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"