X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jordo
    • Aug 2008

Statement lineup complete!

Well I finally finished the full statement surround system, the centre channel really sounds AMAZING in movies, if anyone has a receiver that can do it, go watch a blu-ray and set to THX Ultra2 Cinema mode, wow the voices stand out just like in a theatre, well here's some pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0456.webp
Views:	26
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	943064

Name:	IMG_0457.webp
Views:	22
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	943065

Name:	IMG_0564.webp
Views:	24
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	943066

Here's my gloss black finish, not perfect but very easy to do, after painting for a week with water based home depot shit paint, 4 coats primer, 6 coats black....a weeks worth of time painting, only to have the clear coat dry milky on me, i went with this

Name:	IMG_0573.webp
Views:	20
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	943067

3 coats later, dried and done within a day, not a perfect gloss black but it looks pretty good

Name:	IMG_0570.webp
Views:	23
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	943068

The big ones still need the enamel finish though they aren't quite being done painted yet.
    Here's how i did the nearwall/farwall switching on the monitors, couldn't find a good looking 3dpst switch, and i think a toggle switch looks tacky, so i went this way...

Name:	IMG_0574.webp
Views:	22
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	943069

Name:	IMG_0575.webp
Views:	24
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	943070
    Last edited by theSven; 26 June 2023, 18:43 Monday. Reason: Update image location
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Hi Jordo,

They look great! :T

I hope you enjoy your Statements family as much as I do!

Jim

Comment

• TacoD
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2004

Wow looks very good. I like the switches (better than jumpers imho).

Comment

• john trials
        • Mar 2009

You must have a really nice sounding system.

I really liked reading/looking at your Statement build thread, and it was part of the reason I began building my own a few months ago. Next weekend I should be starting veneer (hopefully). These are more work than I imagined. It must have been a lot for you to make a complete set for surround sound. Good job!
        Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• Jordo
          • Aug 2008

Yeah it sounds amazing, I'm glad you liked reading about my build!

Comment

• Txgrizzly
            • Jun 2009

Jordo, what do you have driving the speakers? now you need to build two more for a 7.1 system :T

Comment

• pierre666
              • May 2009

Hi the statement fans,

Are the statement line (and all related projects ) in terms of sound are more Home theater oriented then Hi-fi ?

Hope no one will be offended by this question...

Pierre

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by pierre666
                Hi the statement fans,

Are the statement line (and all related projects ) in terms of sound are more Home theater oriented then Hi-fi ?

Pierre
                Hi Pierre,

We absolutely aren't offended and it's a very valid question. Here's my take on it, Curt can chime in if he likes.

IMHO, home theater speakers are easy to design and sound reasonably good. However, the speakers that might be raved over for home theater are just as likely to sound mediocre on music. This is why I design with dynamic music in mind. If you have a speaker that reproduces dynamic music accurately, odds are it'll sound awesome for home theater. That said, all speakers that I'm aware of need a sub(s) to fill in the bottom octave on home theater.

Also, when I say design, I mean come up with the idea. It's Curt's exceptional crossover skills that pulls everything together. He's the brains behind the Statements family of speakers.

Search for posts by CBS and FredT to get an audiophile perspective on the subject. There are several others with high end systems too but these two come to mind.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• soundemon
                  • May 2009

Jordo - Excellent work man! thats a world class surround setup to be sure!

Pierre - the Statements are excellent for music and HT both. Whether I had dedicated HT or 2-channel setup, these are the speakers I'd use. (I'm trying for the combo deal so it works out for me!) The best thing about these speakers is the incredible clarity without harshness (great for music) and their ability to go very loud without distortion (great for HT)
                  DIY - once you start down that (dark) path, forever will it dominate your destiny!

Comment

• Jordo
                    • Aug 2008

I am using an Onkyo tx-sr805 to power em all, I have the JBL Studio L810's as side surrounds, only way it would work in my room since they are only 5" deep so can be wall mounted easy, so that make smy 7.1 surround. And yeah these speakers got a ton of headroom before they distort, my onkyo clips before my speakers distort. I was listening to an old Telarc 1812 Overture CD with real blast cannons firing off at the end of it, sounded great until the onkyo clipped every time the cannons went off! So ya my next upgrade is more power, im thinkin emotiva monoblocks now, we'll see what happens.

Comment

• Curt C
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Jordo
                      Well I finally finished the full statement surround system, the centre channel really sounds AMAZING in movies, if anyone has a receiver that can do it, go watch a blu-ray and set to THX Ultra2 Cinema mode, wow the voices stand out just like in a theatre.
                      Glad you are enjoying them. Jordo! I too thought the center channel turned out quite well.

Originally posted by pierre666
                      Hi the statement fans,

Pierre
                      I'm with Jim :T
                      I designed and voiced the crossovers for the Statement series as I would any other speaker intended for stereo music use. -Well, the Statement CC had some 'extra' considerations, but was voiced in glorious mono, or for your HT buffs, that would be voiced in 1.0. :B

Speakers used in HT systems generally don't have the demands of two stereo speakers to provide good stereo imaging and soundstage, but I'm still a 2 channel guy at heart, and design accordingly.

C
                      Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• FroDaddy
                        • Mar 2006

pierre666, I'm not sure I can add much to what Jim and Curt have said but I'll say my perspective on it. With HT you have 6 or 8 channels of audio blended together for the purpose of conveying what is happening on screen. The emotional impact of the actual film will be improved with speakers that can reproduce the multichannel effects with studio realism. A huge contributing factor involves dynamics; so from that perspective it aids in a more engrossing movie experience. If you're thinking right now that I've just described a movie venue, yes that was the intent It takes a well crafted system to achieve that feeling.

But in a movie soundtrack you have 6 to 8 speakers AND video working together for the presentation. With a 2ch rig all you have are the two channels, so it takes a special speaker to create emotions. Previous to my Statements I never appreciated what 2ch was all about. I'm still 98% movies by personal preference, but I understand what the fuss is about with a 2ch rig with the Statements.

So a good speaker will be able to reproduce both HT and 2ch, but not all HT speakers can reproduce 2ch well!

Jordo congrats on completing the set, that's a big job to do! The gloss black looks fine to my eyes. I wouldn't dare take a close-up of mine like you did

Comment

• nels07
                          • Sep 2009

jordo how do the monitors sound? i was thinking about doing mini statements (small towers) and then when i have the money doing the full statements and just pushing the minis to surround duty.

Comment

• Russ_L
                            • Nov 2008

Statement Mix

Jordo- great job; I'm envious. Wondering though, did you start with the Statements for stereo listening, and then decided to add the Statement Center and Statement Monitors for HT? I’m still in the process of building my basement listening room, but I’m thinking right off the bat, five Statement Monitors, and an infinite baffle sub for the bottom octave.

Just curious. And, I’d switch to the Statement Center if I decide to go with a flat screen rather than a projector.

Comment

• Jordo
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by nels07
                              jordo how do the monitors sound? i was thinking about doing mini statements (small towers) and then when i have the money doing the full statements and just pushing the minis to surround duty.
                              you know the monitors sound great, i first hooked them up as the front 2 channels and listened to some tunes through them just to see how they sounded and they filled a 16'x24' room completely with sound, even the bass impressed me from just a monitor. because my seating is so close to the back of my room though, the audessey setup set the monitors at around -6dB, so they really dont get to shine that much, but nonetheless great sounding as well.

Comment

• Jordo
                                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Russ_L
                                Jordo- great job; I'm envious. Wondering though, did you start with the Statements for stereo listening, and then decided to add the Statement Center and Statement Monitors for HT? I’m still in the process of building my basement listening room, but I’m thinking right off the bat, five Statement Monitors, and an infinite baffle sub for the bottom octave.

Just curious. And, I’d switch to the Statement Center if I decide to go with a flat screen rather than a projector.
                                I started with the statements because I love big speakers and big sound, I've had my HT setup which was JBL speakers all around for a few years now, but get the itch to do a project every once in awhile, and building speakers just caught my eye one day so I went from there, so landed on the statement build and did it, they sounded so good that I figured I would just timbre match the rest of the surround. It sounds way better that the center channel is matched to the L/R statements now for HT. Don't be fooled by the monitors smaller size for lack of big sound either, I think if you had a decent sub, you would be 100% satisfied with running monitors all around! :T

Comment

• john trials
                                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Jordo
                                  I am using an Onkyo tx-sr805 to power em all, I have the JBL Studio L810's as side surrounds, only way it would work in my room since they are only 5" deep so can be wall mounted easy, so that make smy 7.1 surround. And yeah these speakers got a ton of headroom before they distort, my onkyo clips before my speakers distort. I was listening to an old Telarc 1812 Overture CD with real blast cannons firing off at the end of it, sounded great until the onkyo clipped every time the cannons went off! So ya my next upgrade is more power, im thinkin emotiva monoblocks now, we'll see what happens.
                                  Jordo, have you upgraded your amplifier set up?

I'm curious, because I'm heading down the same path as you. I built my Statements for 2-channel listening. I can't stop building, though, so I'm making Monitors and a CC. I don't have any 5.1 system yet, so I'm not sure what I'll end up with for processing/amplification. I'm leaning towards an Onkyo TX-SR707 (similar to yours) for starters, but I think I may need more power for 2-channel listening than the Onkyo is going to supply (I currently have 200watts/channel into 4 ohms with my receiver, and I'd rather not go with less for 2-channel listening).
                                  Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• cobblepots
                                    • May 2008

Originally posted by john trials

I'm curious, because I'm heading down the same path as you. I built my Statements for 2-channel listening. I can't stop building, though, so I'm making Monitors and a CC. I don't have any 5.1 system yet, so I'm not sure what I'll end up with for processing/amplification. I'm leaning towards an Onkyo TX-SR707 (similar to yours) for starters, but I think I may need more power for 2-channel listening than the Onkyo is going to supply (I currently have 200watts/channel into 4 ohms with my receiver, and I'd rather not go with less for 2-channel listening).
                                    Nice Job!

To the post above, I have the TX-SR805 and I cannot turn it up past -5.0dB without fear of damaging anything the house or profusly annoying my housemates. That's for 2 channel output on my mini's. I also run them full range. The 70-30 Hz range is what really drains the reciever. I have a sub for HT duty but I prefer the mini's at full range for music. I think you will be more than fine with the TX-SR707 but would consider bumping it up if the price difference doesn't bother you. If you run the bottom end through a subwoofer you'll have even more head room.

With regards to the monitors... I personally couldn't ever see a need to have anything bigger for the rears. Even with the THX Cow introduction in monster's inc which is VERY intense. BTW, that movie has an awesome soundtrack.

Question to the OP, do you have yours in a wood floor room or carpet? I moved recently and our floor is now wood and I think the sound is FAR better. Had to put rubber stops under the furniture and plants though 8) Welcome to the family!

Comment

• cobblepots
                                      • May 2008

Originally posted by john trials

I had this problem with the 805 too. Found out it was because the Onkyo has an auto-shutoff feature when set to 4 ohms. I changed it to 6 ohms and have had no issues. There is no difference with regards to power output when changing this setting, it's a thermal overload precaution that's designed to prevent overheating from lower ohm speakers. Just make sure she doesn't get too hot

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"