X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phcars
    • Sep 2009

Dayton RSS3156HF ideas?

Hey all, I would like to say HI to everyone as I am a new member!

I built a pair of RSS315HF based subs in a sealed 2.59 cu ft box powered by a EP2500 and a yet to be implimeted DSP1124. I have built several differnt designs using this driver still looking for the perfect sub. I like to tinker and try to get the most out of my drivers without taking up too much space!

Anyway, I was considering installing a 15 in AE 1050 Passive radiator in each enclosure. I have not yet ran any simulations yet pretty much because I am still learning how to use the software I have.

Has anybody built a PR based RSS315HF?

I was also interested in slot ported designs but never got anyfeedback on this topic for this driver.

Hope to hear your thoughts!

Thanks!
    Last edited by phcars; 20 September 2009, 20:03 Sunday. Reason: grammer
  • phcars
    • Sep 2009

86 views and not one response? Is this a slow moving board or am I being impatient?

Comment

• bemis23
      • May 2009

Well here's a response, but as I haven't seen many PR subs based on the Dayton RS subs, and haven't built one myself I've nothing of value to add to the discussion.

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Both.

We don't see many PR based builds. There is a thread at PE discussing this right now. I think in general people are cheap and would rather build a bigger box or spend the money on a second driver than a PR. Not that PR's are bad. Just don't see them. They are starting to become more fashionable though. You could be a trendsetter.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I can't remember the last time anyone posted a PR design here. Most aren't willing to cough up the money when they're almost as expensive as buying another driver...

As for slots they're just a different shaped port, the box still has to be enlarged to accommodate the space they occupy.

A vented alignment buys higher output at the Fb, (you won't be able to tune very low if you want to keep the box on the small size) and 3dB+ increased efficiency (not to be confused with 3dB+ more output across the passband)

As for the 315's they're nice drivers, but they really want a somewhat bigger box given their 3cu ft Vas. Also they're more aimed at the high SQ builders as opposed to the high output crowd.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Paul Ebert
            • May 2004

I won a CSS 15" PR as a door prize at InDIYana, so I've been modeling various subs with it using Jeff Bagby's Woofer Box and Circuit Designer spreadsheet (highly recommended, by the way). The RSS315HF and a 15" PR can make for a fine sub. Personally, I'll go with the RSS315HO instead as I want a smaller box and it's for HT. That is, if I use one of the RSS drivers. I'd like something with more xmax.

Comment

• mackintire
              • Jan 2009

I just finished my vented Dayton RSS265HF-4 based sub tuned to 22hz. I'm not sure about your RSS315HF, but the 10" version is known for being damaged from overexcursion in a vented alignment. I 'm using an O-audio amp with the subsonic filter at 25hz in order to protect the driver. I think the consensus was that the HO model was more durable but did not play as low. For reference my sub is 2.6 cf in volume empty.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"