• peterS
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

any one have experience with Fi IB subs

cant decide between these and peerless xls
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The IB subs are specifically designed to be used in IB applications. Don't put them in smallish sealed or vented boxes.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• peterS
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

forgot to mention I'm looking at H or U frame

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by peterS
        forgot to mention I'm looking at H or U frame
        And... ?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• peterS
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

and its an IB application

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

too bad no Le spec. With 30 mm Xmax, Le "might" be rather high. Sensitivity of the 18 is good, 15 so-so, and 12 fairly abysmal IF those figures are accurate. If the Le of the 18 is reasonable, it could be intriguing for that price in a dipole app. If Le is as high as one might expect, then these are just IB sub drivers. Nice ones at a reasonable price.
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• peterS
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

yes Ive asked them for that along with freq plots. If they cant provide that I don't feel like being the guinea pig- I was hoping someone else had tried them on here

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

A few hundred are being successfully used in IB subs.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• peterS
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Dec 2005

ok thanks

Comment

• peterS
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                    too bad no Le spec. With 30 mm Xmax, Le "might" be rather high. Sensitivity of the 18 is good, 15 so-so, and 12 fairly abysmal IF those figures are accurate. If the Le of the 18 is reasonable, it could be intriguing for that price in a dipole app. If Le is as high as one might expect, then these are just IB sub drivers. Nice ones at a reasonable price.
                    they replied and stated they dont have Le or frequency response measurements. In addition no shorting rings so Ill just assume the worst....

new candidate AE IB 15" vs peerless xls 12"

Comment

• Paul Ebert
                      • May 2004

You might want to consider this one as well:

Exodus DPL-15

Comment

• peterS
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Dec 2005

XBL^2- been a while since ive seen that. Is the patent still owned by Dan Wiggens?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                          Mad Max Moderator
                          • Aug 2000

Yeah, I've had my eye on the DPL 15 for another weird project idea- Arvo Part rising from the dead, with some twists... some of which I'm still pondering. I think it has potential, but the proof is in the measurement- I've measured several XBL^2 drivers that were distinctly not so hot with regards to distortion. The implementation isn't easy.
                          the AudioWorx
                          Natalie P
                          M8ta
                          Modula Neo DCC
                          Modula MT XE
                          Modula Xtreme
                          Isiris
                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                          Minerva Monitor
                          Calliope
                          Ardent D

In Development...
                          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                          Obi-Wan
                          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                          Modula PWB
                          Calliope CC Supreme
                          Natalie P Ultra
                          Natalie P Supreme
                          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

they replied and stated they dont have Le or frequency response measurements. In addition no shorting rings so Ill just assume the worst....
                            You know what they say about assumptions....

The people who make up Fi have a LONG history of making good drivers

They made the units for Blueprint (Destijl engineering), they were part of the build house that made the original XBL drivers for Adire (Resonant Engineering). Several years ago Scott and Nick left RE to form Fi (it's in the same city block as RE.

Fi can build using any motor technology they want. They specifically chose not to use shorting rings for performance reasons not to save a buck.

Unlike other companies selling subs Fi custom builds each driver to order and will recone/rebuild damaged drivers for a fraction the cost of a new unit. Besides Fi, AE is the only other company I know that offers this service

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• mikela
                              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by ThomasW
                              They specifically chose not to use shorting rings for performance reasons
                              Would you please expand on this.

Thanks,
                              Mike

Comment

• ThomasW
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

This is what Scott had to say about motor designs

I have been using XBl since its inception and have built many different subs and drivers with it. I know that tech VERY well and was licensed to use it for a long time. LMT is a TC proprietary tech, so its not something Ill use. For the past couple of years I have been using the split coil approach to linear BL in subs and mids. Works as good as anything else... but even with that I have found that many people do not like the sound of a linear BL motor (but it seems on mids/midbass most prefer it). For subs it looks good on paper, but just not to many peoples ears (Ive done AB testing and 80% of people seem to like a LGLC (long gap, long coil) better). I will continue to design drivers with linear BL motors, but mostly for OEM. I have several motor/driver designs collecting dust with it, but Im not sure if they will ever see the light of day. As for a shorting coil (to be powered at the same time) I have never used in production, only in testing. I have and currently use shorting rings as well as a secondary wind on the voicecoil for adjustment as well. I may impliment a couple more tricks in the HT only stuff shortly.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• peterS
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Dec 2005

You know what they say about assumptions....

The people who make up Fi have a LONG history of making good drivers

They made the units for Blueprint (Destijl engineering), they were part of the build house that made the original XBL drivers for Adire (Resonant Engineering). Several years ago Scott and Nick left RE to form Fi (it's in the same city block as RE.

Fi can build using any motor technology they want. They specifically chose not to use shorting rings for performance reasons not to save a buck.

Unlike other companies selling subs Fi custom builds each driver to order and will recone/rebuild damaged drivers for a fraction the cost of a new unit. Besides Fi, AE is the only other company I know that offers this service
                                  Yes I am aware of all of this

except that I question how omitting shorting rings helps performance

the Le has to be through the roof on these without.
                                  this seems very important given the excursion demands

I am aware that the Le on the IB (v1) was .89 mH or so iirc- so that makes me believe there was shorting rings or is this a result of split coil topology?

I wish they were more forthcoming with the info i am looking for...

i dont buy his argument with the subjective AB testing. Most people will pick a grossly misaligned sub given only initial listening impressions... with more time it becomes fatiguing but by then they have already bought it

Comment

• seattle_ice
                                    • Jun 2006

This is what Scott had to say about motor designs

Quote:
                                    I have been using XBl since its inception and have built many different subs and drivers with it. I know that tech VERY well and was licensed to use it for a long time. LMT is a TC proprietary tech, so its not something Ill use. For the past couple of years I have been using the split coil approach to linear BL in subs and mids. Works as good as anything else... but even with that I have found that many people do not like the sound of a linear BL motor (but it seems on mids/midbass most prefer it). For subs it looks good on paper, but just not to many peoples ears (Ive done AB testing and 80% of people seem to like a LGLC (long gap, long coil) better). I will continue to design drivers with linear BL motors, but mostly for OEM. I have several motor/driver designs collecting dust with it, but Im not sure if they will ever see the light of day. As for a shorting coil (to be powered at the same time) I have never used in production, only in testing. I have and currently use shorting rings as well as a secondary wind on the voicecoil for adjustment as well. I may impliment a couple more tricks in the HT only stuff shortly.
                                    Where is he using these then?
                                    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!
                                    How to build a theater in 1,110,993 easy steps

Comment

• penngray
                                      • Sep 2007

I have 4 Fi Q18 drivers in an IB array....they are nothing short of great.

I also own other divers like the AE AV15X, Many Original TC2000 15" drivers.

Scott from Fi is a great and honest guy that will customize his driver for use in IB designs. There are other choices for ported or sealed but for IB only Fi and AE speakers have the best choices period. Displacement is your friend when it comes to IB designs.

btw, The IB15 fom AE Speakers is a good choice too!

Comment

• penngray
                                        • Sep 2007

new candidate AE IB 15" vs peerless xls 12"
                                        You would be making the wrong assumption.

If your choice an IB design then the AE choice or the Fi choice are head and shoulders above the rest.

Comment

• peterS
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by penngray
                                          You would be making the wrong assumption.

If your choice an IB design then the AE choice or the Fi choice are head and shoulders above the rest.
                                          its there choice not to disclose Le and freq response graphs...

Comment

• penngray
                                            • Sep 2007

its there choice not to disclose Le and freq response graphs...
                                            That is true but Scott and Fi are well known in the IB circles. We are just saying you are wrong to assume the worst.

You can choose to buy what you want but in the end Displacement is king and you wont have that with other choices. I already posted that AE makes incredible drivers so just go that route if you really need Le and Freq response graphs up front.

Comment

• peterS
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by penngray
                                              That is true but Scott and Fi are well known in the IB circles. We are just saying you are wrong to assume the worst.

You can choose to buy what you want but in the end Displacement is king and you wont have that with other choices. I already posted that AE makes incredible drivers so just go that route if you really need Le and Freq response graphs up front.
                                              ill probably buy all four mentioned in this thread eventually
                                              for this project ill pass

would be nice if someone had a site like zaph for subs

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"