X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dsrviola
    • Oct 2007

Some interesting driver tech

What's really scary is at the very bottom. Doesn't make me feel quite so bad about the black hole my money's disappeared into because of my various Accutons.

I've heard a pair of Quatros. They sounded nothing like the ubiquitous 2C manifestations.
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Interesting- looks like some rather interesting driver technology- certainly taking things to the next level as far as supporting their first order concepts. I worked on first order transient perfect designs in the 70's, had one with a friend that would reproduce 1 kHz pulse waveforms nicely on axis. But first order networks have other issues that are tough to deal with, including off axis lobing. After hearing a top of the line Snell model against our project, and doing a lot of A/B comparisons with many kinds of program, I sort of decided that 1st order wasn't the end all/be all, though my friend still wanted to pursue that.

Very interesting drivers, though, SH cones and basket design! As much as it costs them to make the drivers, I'm almost surprised the system price is as low as it is- $45K. Like JBL, he's using biased capacitors. I think the way around that is to use a capacitor that doesn't need a electrostatic pre-bias to damp resonances at low signal levels. Of course, it may be cheaper the way he's doing it.

Now just imagine what we could do with those drivers with a Duelund style crossover in an Ardent box... OK, so I'm a little one track. :W
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dsrviola
      • Oct 2007

I find it interesting that some people are in one camp (first order is the only way to go) or the other. One well known speaker designer poo poos 1st order xovers: off axis responsive (lobing) and blurring because the drivers overlap so much. He describes them as being unclear and muddy sounding. Makes me wonder if he's ever heard a pair of Thiels, Dunlavys, Vandersteens (the latest models), or Green Mountain Audios.

I don't care what the ingredients are in the dish. I just want it to taste good. :T

Comment

• TacoD
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2004

I'm somewhat disappointed that they want to patent common knowledge. The material is used for years in aerospace, but also for the volvo ocean race yachts they used end-grain balsa as a core material. But nevertheless very cool driver technology.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"