X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonW
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Rolex
    Never the spray cans, I wouldn't trust the results. I use a graco airless sprayer. It's pretty serious equipment (close to a grand for a setup), but it gives me the results I'm after. The links to the gallon on five pails you posted is what I use.
    Thanks. That’s what I’d figure you’d say. Just thought I’d ask to see if it would be worth trying the cans.

In searching for good finishes I did once try a nitrocellulose from a can on some scrap wood (Deft, I think). After spraying, the surface was quite bumpy from the spray being more like a spit (a little exaggeration) than an extremely fine spray. Much the same result as my cheap HVLP sprayer. The nitrocellulose did then wet sand down quite nicely. Then I used an auto rubbing compound to make a smooth, nice finish. But doing that required a *lot* of rubbing with a *lot* of force. Corners were difficult. I can’t imagine how long a pair of large speakers would take, between all the coats, all the rubbing (even with a power buffer), and the weeks or months dry times that nitro really needs.

Comment

• Steidl Guitars
      • Sep 2009

Jon, I push lacquer through a HVLP gun that I run off a compressor; some call those "conversion" guns. If you have a compressor, you might try one. And once you get the hang of spraying, it's hard to go back.

Comment

• JonW
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Steidl Guitars
        Jon, I push lacquer through a HVLP gun that I run off a compressor; some call those "conversion" guns. If you have a compressor, you might try one. And once you get the hang of spraying, it's hard to go back.
        Yeah, everyone that invests in a good spray system seems to never go back. Maybe if I could set up a good spray booth and use it year round, somehow.

I've come close to trying to build my own guitars. But building speakers has kept me away from the guitars.

Comment

• xyrium
          • Nov 2009

Now there's something I'd like to see. I'm not sure if there's much more that goes into a guitar than a Speaker, though there are more curves, especiallly if you're doing a curved top with figured maple, etc. However, maybe you can just pick up a small CNC like the K2s or build your own.

I have an Epiphone Les Paul custom in wine red and an Ibanez Prestige SZ2020 in a clear coat. Both curved tops using flamed maple. I love it.
          Paul

Comment

• Steidl Guitars
            • Sep 2009

Jon, lots of folks use knock-down spray booths that work pretty well and pack away. If you spray water-based finishes, having a booth (or exhausting the fumes somehow) is much less of a concern than solvent-based finishes.

Originally posted by xyrium
            I'm not sure if there's much more that goes into a guitar than a Speaker
            I am! :W

Making my first set of speakers was great fun and took a heck of a lot less time than making a guitar, although I'm sure some speaker cabinets can take plenty of time and skill.

Whatever it is, I guess I just like making stuff that makes music.

Comment

• xyrium
              • Nov 2009

So, Steidl,

Are you doing acoustics or solid bodies? Either way, any photos?

Rgds,
              Paul

Originally posted by Steidl Guitars
              Jon, lots of folks use knock-down spray booths that work pretty well and pack away. If you spray water-based finishes, having a booth (or exhausting the fumes somehow) is much less of a concern than solvent-based finishes.

I am! :W

Making my first set of speakers was great fun and took a heck of a lot less time than making a guitar, although I'm sure some speaker cabinets can take plenty of time and skill.

Whatever it is, I guess I just like making stuff that makes music.
              Paul

Comment

• Steidl Guitars
                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by xyrium
                Are you doing acoustics or solid bodies? Either way, any photos?
                Acoustics; I've only made a few electrics.

I made the guitar that I use as my avatar. I'll attach a close-up of the neck joint and a shot inside the box.

Sorry to take this off topic!

Click image for larger version

Name:	MacNeckJoin.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	853915

Name:	BackOn.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	853916
                Last edited by theSven; 12 August 2023, 15:53 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Rolex
                  • Mar 2005

Thanks for posting. Incredible work!

Comment

• JonW
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

Bob-

*Gorgeous* work there. That's not easy to do. Did I see a fingerprint on the guitar's finish? :W

Rolex-

Sorry for the thread hijack. It doesn't take anything away from how beautiful your craftmanship is. :T Someday I hope to get up to your level. It will probably take many more projects of experience, though.

Comment

• NateTTU
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Rolex

Click image for larger version  Name:	2-2.webp Views:	1 Size:	24.1 KB ID:	947539
                      Sorry to dig up an older thread, but I have a few questions for the OP. However, if anyone else knows the answers to these questions please feel free to chime in.

Hey Rolex,

First off, these things are amazing to look at. I'm doing a new build and I'm thinking about trying out some of the things you have done on these speakers.

Binding Post:
                      Its a little difficult to tell, but are those binding posts this finish: (satin nickel)

Name:	091-624_HR_0.default.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	947542

I was thinking the satin nickel on top of the silver plate would be a little too much bling, but in your pictures they look very nice. Can you by chance install these binding posts without the plate? I'm thinking it has some key in them so it might not be possible or very difficult to make a key into the speaker cabinet.

Port:
                      I like how your port is very clean and doesn't use any fasteners. I was thinking of picking up a precision port from PE, but the side that attaches to the speaker looks a little cheap in my opinion and also requires 4 screws. Just wondering what port you used and how it was installed.

One last thing, did you flush mount both the port and binding plate?

Appreciate any help.

Nate
                      Last edited by theSven; 12 August 2023, 15:59 Saturday. Reason: Update quote and image location

Comment

• Rolex
                        • Mar 2005

Hi Nate, thanks for the compliments. Yes, the binding posts are the ones you linked. I don't think I would want to install them without a plate, but you probably could. You would just have to create the key like PE has in their plates. The port is the regular precision port turned backwards. Like you, I really dislike the side of the port meant for attaching. I flip it around and epoxy it in place. Looks way better in my opinion.

I did flush mount both the binding post plate and the port tube. That's the only way to do it I think. Lately I have switched to a round binding post plate that I have to custom make in lieu of the square ones from PE. Just another touch that makes it look a little less DIY'ish.

Comment

• NateTTU
                          • Jul 2007

I have to say your speakers look anything other than DIY.

I've never used a precision port before, but one that you had to piece together from different pieces. Do you think turning them around has any effect at all on the speaker?

Thanks for the help and again one heck of a fine job on those speakers.

Comment

• Rolex
                            • Mar 2005

I doubt you can hear any difference in flipping the port around. It is flared on both ends, I just picked the prettier one...

Comment

• cruggles
                              • Apr 2010

What a pity that kit is no longer available.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"