X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

Wow, those are really stunning. I can't believe that is your first attempt at veneering. Very impressive.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• BigguyZ
      • Jan 2009

Holy cow! That's the same veneer I was to use if I ever get close to finishing/ actually building my 4Ts....

You actually have me thinking I should go with Lacquer over poly... Hm....

Comment

• Jed
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by chirpie
        There you are master! ;x( ;x( ;x( I am please you like them. ^_^;

As for your question...

Minwax high gloss for the lacquer coats.

Sandpaper was from Autoparts Express. I wet sanded on every grade.

The powders were these two...

Great stuff. Use baby oil for borderline satin/glossy finish. Use water if you want full clear gloss. I used water.

EDIT ADD ON: Almost forgot... this stuff.

Man, you got to WORK IT HARD to get this paste to rub out if you go at it with an arm and a rag. I was half tempted to go get a buffer (which it recommends) but I toughed it out. 2 hours to rub this stuff out properly once applied. (15 minutes drying time before you do though...)
        Thanks! What a great finish you go there. :T

Comment

• chirpie
          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Steidl Guitars
          Chirpie, those look great. Waterfall bubinga is lovely, but is has big old pores.

And this sandpaper ain't cheap, but it's worth every penny:

Shop Woodworking Hand & Power Tools Collection on Lee Valley. Browse our selection of Reliable Tools for any Woodworking project.

No more wet sanding. I use 320 between built coats, then go up from there before the rub out and buff. Yes, a buffer (smile).

Again, nice work!
          Good to know. Bookmarked it should I revisit this obsession anytime soon. ;-)

Comment

• chirpie
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by ---k---
            Wow, those are really stunning. I can't believe that is your first attempt at veneering. Very impressive.
            Thanks K. I'm bummed I lost my documentation for the veneering process. It's good to revisit previous attempts to recall the lessons learned.

I used a veneer softener but I think I did more harm than good with it. It caused a "wrinkling" effect when I used an iron to heat activate the glue I used. It made it tricky to flatten them out. If anyone knows what popular mistake I might've made there I'm all ears.

Originally posted by BigguyZ
            Holy cow! That's the same veneer I was to use if I ever get close to finishing/ actually building my 4Ts....

You actually have me thinking I should go with Lacquer over poly... Hm....
            Lacquer is a cruel mistress. She smells bad, you need to be careful with your brush strokes, but when you shine her up, she's purdy. ^_^

Originally posted by Jed
            Thanks! What a great finish you go there. :T
            Again, thanks! :-)

Comment

• Txgrizzly
              • Jun 2009

very sweet...

Comment

• cacophonix
                • Feb 2006

very very pretty!

I've a rbr kit that i bought sometime back and been wanting to build a floorstander like Steidl Guitars. I might copy your finish technique. Your speakers look stunning! Congrats!

Comment

• cacophonix
                  • Feb 2006

I've placed a order for figured bubinga, and hope to get started on the cabinets this weekend. A small question ... How did you get the smooth finish on the baffle? Did you spray black paint, and then applied multiple coats of lacquer?

Comment

• chirpie
                    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by cacophonix
                    I've placed a order for figured bubinga, and hope to get started on the cabinets this weekend. A small question ... How did you get the smooth finish on the baffle? Did you spray black paint, and then applied multiple coats of lacquer?

I pm'ed the response, but here is the answer for the curious minded.

Dude, I am so sorry, I haven't been to this site in a while! ^_^

Here's the steps I did on the front baffle...

- Raw mdf

- Painted the mdf with a mixture of half glue, half water, two coats dried, to seal the mdf.

- I use automotive primer in a rattle can. 3 coats. Sanding between each coat.

- I used satin black rustoleum can. Sprayed 3 coats, sanded between each coat.

- I used satin polyurethane spray can for the top coat. I sprayed 5 coats. I sanded VERY lightly on the first two coats. Then lightly for the last three.

Done.

Comment

• soundemon
                      • May 2009

so mad I missed this kit at the sale price! if anyone knows someone looking to sell an unused kit send me a PM...
                      DIY - once you start down that (dark) path, forever will it dominate your destiny!

Comment

• cacophonix
                        • Feb 2006

Finally i managed to complete my speakers. I bugged the hell out of Bob (Steidl Guitar) and combined his floorstanding design with the overall cabinet look of chirpie, and came up with this.
                        I'm very happy with the sound. They sound wonderful in my room (12x14). I might try playing around with the stuffing later on, but for now, i'll just sit back and listen to music.
                        I'd be interested in seeing what kind of low end response people are getting out this speaker. Specs mention almost mid 30hz, but i don't think i'm hitting that low. It sounds more like a solid 40-50Hz ... but i've no mic to measure the response.

I've paired it with Rythmik DS1200 sub, and don't feel the need for any more bass.The NHT X2 crossover diverts everything under 50Hz to the sub, and everything over it to the main speakers.The rest of the setup is as follows :
                        Odyssey Khartago Mono Amps (Extreme SE)
                        Adcom GFP 750
                        Sony 5400ES SACD/CD player
                        SqueezeBox Touch

Belkin POCC speakers cables
                        Acoustic research interconnects (cheap ones) (Soon to be replaced with DIY canare l2t2s cables)

Click image for larger version

Name:	rbr_profile_1.webp
Views:	11409
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	947283

Name:	rbr_side_1.webp
Views:	11415
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	947284

Name:	rbr_front_1.webp
Views:	11414
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	947285
                        Last edited by theSven; 08 August 2023, 23:53 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• chirpie
                          • Oct 2009

(Another delayed response on my part...) How cool is that? Love the plinths man. :-)

Comment

• Fishy
                            • Jul 2004

Chirpie, WOW. Great write up and superb finish. As for the HT in the basement.

Just wish I had the tools and space to create such works of art.

Fish

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"