X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

Any Houston DIYers?

I'm new to the area (just got a job in the Woodlands) and was looking to form a DIY audio group in the area. We had a really great informal one back when I lived in Austin (largely due to Hank Frankenberg, a member here) and was looking for people who wanted to talk shop on Saturday afternoons or over poker games or the like.

I'm an R&D electronics engineer professionally and have lots of measurement & design gear (praxis, LspCAD, DMM, scope, etc) but no woodworking tools since I'm in an apartment right now.
  • johngalt47
    • Apr 2007

There is a group over at hometheatershack. Look up Mike Cason. Also there is a group of guys that like tube gear but I can't remember their url.

Comment

• Curly Woods
      • Dec 2005

Lonestar Bottleheads

Fred T300B is quite an avid DIYer and hosts a great many events at his place. Here is a link to the Lonestar Bottleheads web site: http://lonestarbottleheads.org/

Also Fred T's web site: http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/

He hangs out on the Audio Roundtable forums: http://www.audioroundtable.com/

Welcome to Texas!
      Last edited by Curly Woods; 01 August 2009, 19:57 Saturday.
      Mike Mastin

Comment

• Bear
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Amphiprion
        I'm new to the area (just got a job in the Woodlands) [..] I lived in Austin [..]
        Originally posted by Curly Woods
        Welcome to Texas!
        Curly - Is that an indictment of Austin you are making or of Texas schools?

I'm just outside of downtown, and tend to spend most of my Saturdays bicycling or recovering from bicycling (aka lots of cheering from the sidelines). I've got a couple of woodworking tools, but little desire to use them in 100 degree heat (tables saw, couple of routers, etc.), but hopefully this fall I'll get to make some progress on some of my own projects I'm dreaming up.

I think AVS and HTShack have some DIY get-togethers, but those are pretty broadly scoped for interest (i.e., all of A/V). One of these days I'll make it out to a few meetings. If you are thinking audio-only, then it may take a little more work to get a group together.
        Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• Curly Woods
          • Dec 2005

OK I hope that I have corrected the grammatical errors now :-) Guess I need to look at what my fingers are typing a little more often :-)
          Mike Mastin

Comment

• Bear
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Curly Woods
            OK I hope that I have corrected the grammatical errors now :-) Guess I need to look at what my fingers are typing a little more often :-)
            Not bustin' your chops for grammar -- lord knows I went to public schools until college. I'm just curious why you're welcoming someone to Texas who moved from Austin to Houston. Is that an indictment of Austin (i.e., it isn't part of Texas) or of Texas schools (i.e., you missed that he lived in Austin...). Of course, I've been fuzzy myself after having spent 4 - 6 hours in the sun out pretending to be Lance Armstrong, and I can't imagine how much hotter it is up there in Big D, so all is forgiven...

Comment

• Curly Woods
              • Dec 2005

I need to read these posts a little closer :-)

Not sure what I was thinking. My mind must have been elsewhere when I responded to Mark's post about moving to Houston from Austin. Can't blame the Shiner as I haven't drank in over 16 years. Maybe I need to start again :-)
              Mike Mastin

Comment

• Amphiprion
                • Apr 2006

Is that an indictment of Austin (i.e., it isn't part of Texas)
                I lived there for seven years, and it's certainly a unique part of Texas.

I'm just looking for any A/V related folks, doesn't have to be stereo audio specifically.

Comment

• robfive
                  • Dec 2005

Welcome to greater H-town, Mark. I live just north of downtown but drift northward to The Woodlands from time to time to hang out with some of my suburban friends. I am up to getting together with fellow DIYers to talk A/V or just have fun. I also have most wood working equipment one needs for speaker building (table saw, router, comp miter, biscuit joiner, etc.) if you're hankering to make some sawdust.

Comment

• Bear
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2008

Heights?

Comment

• robfive
                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Bear
                      Heights?
                      Close, Lindale Park on the east side of 45. You?

Comment

• Hank
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jul 2002

I haven't drank in over 16 years.
                        That's why we think Houston may actually be a bastard chld of TEXAS.

Comment

• Amphiprion
                          • Apr 2006

Still hitting the tequila Hank? I thought you'd be over the propane incident by now

Comment

• impala454
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2007

I'm on the SE side in Deer Park. I built a Statements Monitors 5.1 setup finished in beautiful MDF beige :B. I'm itching to get a house so I can have some actual work area again and can build some more projects. Until then my DIYing is pretty slow.

Originally posted by Hank
                            That's why we think Houston may actually be a bastard chld of TEXAS.
                            Yeah see I have this theory that I'm among one of the most hated people in existence:

1. Rest of the world hates Americans
                            2. Rest of Americans hate Texans
                            3. Rest of Texans hate Houston (the feeling is mutual dallas/austin! )
                            4. Much of SE Houston hates Deer Park
                            -Chuck

Comment

• Bear
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by robfive
                              Close, Lindale Park on the east side of 45. You?
                              I'm down in the Montrose area -- when I'm in town. I bike up through the Heights/White Oak bayou all the time, though, so I pretend to know about some of the neighborhoods up there, even if I don't know the actual roads worth a darn.

Chuck - Houstonians don't hate Deer Park; it smells like money. Maybe it's my inner loop bias or the fact that I'm native, but I don't think that even Houstonians really understand Houston, up to, and including, me.

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                • Apr 2006

but I don't think that even Houstonians really understand Houston, up to, and including, me
                                I think everyone understands it - it's humid as all get out and there's absolutely no zoning Beyond that, it ain't to much different from anywhere else I've lived in Texas. Even had a nice discussion about hunting rifles over lunch with my boss-to-be when I had my job interview here. Now I might not have done that in Austin...

Comment

• johngalt47
                                  • Apr 2007

I live near Ellington field, not too far from Deer Park. Several people at work live in Deer Park and I don't know why anyone would hate it.

The heat and humidity in the summer keep me from doing much DIY until winter.

Comment

• bemis23
                                    • May 2009

Originally posted by impala454
                                    I'm on the SE side in Deer Park. I built a Statements Monitors 5.1 setup finished in beautiful MDF beige :B. I'm itching to get a house so I can have some actual work area again and can build some more projects. Until then my DIYing is pretty slow.

Yeah see I have this theory that I'm among one of the most hated people in existence:

1. Rest of the world hates Americans
                                    2. Rest of Americans hate Texans
                                    3. Rest of Texans hate Houston (the feeling is mutual dallas/austin! )
                                    4. Much of SE Houston hates Deer Park
                                    it's not that bad. My brother and I go back and forth about Houston and DFW. At least we can both agree to make fun of my sister who lives in Denton

Comment

• Hank
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jul 2002

Still hitting the tequila Hank? I thought you'd be over the propane incident by now
                                      Don't talk to me - I'm in a bad mood - I ran out of tequila last night:M

Comment

• Bear
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Hank
                                        Don't talk to me - I'm in a bad mood - I ran out of tequila last night:M
                                        You might actually have to drink a Shiner, then?

Comment

• tabasc07
                                          • Oct 2007

Welcome to Houston! I just moved to the Galleria area from the Medical Center to live close to the Art Institute of Houston. I'm going there to major in Audio Production/Sound Engineering.

There's also the Houston Audio Society (aka HAS) as a yahoo group. I believe there's a good number of people down here who are into the A/V scene and actually have knowledge about it instead of flaunting what they bought at Best Buy. There are also a couple of DIY'ers here. I know FredT built a pair of Statements and sold those. Now I think he has the Khanspires.

I built five of Zaph's ZBM4's and a few enclosures for subwoofers ranging from 8" to 18". I'm looking to upgrade sometime when I finally have enough money that's not being swallowed by bills and rent.

But yes, welcome!

Comment

• 64NOMIS
                                            • Apr 2009

Mark,

I live in Austin, anyone I should know?
                                            Want More | Visit www.omnixedia.com | Compendium of the Diachron Omnix
                                            The Complete Vision | http:links.amd.com/eyecndys | Introduction to Central Computing & Multi Display Environments

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                              • Apr 2006

TONS.

Start with Hank.

Comment

• FlashJim
                                                • Apr 2006

I'm in Houston.

Crap ... late to the party again.
                                                Jim

Comment

• Bear
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by FlashJim
                                                  I'm in Houston.

Crap ... late to the party again.
                                                  Jim - The road goes on forever, and the party never ends. Welcome!

I've got a collection of LCR Minuets from Jed (Clearwave), and I may have a pair of Mark K's ER18DXTs to show off at some point if we want to try to pull together a get-together. The Minuets will have granite baffles at some point here shortly, as well (not my handiwork; I leave that to the professionals).

Bear

Comment

• FlashJim
                                                    • Apr 2006

Sounds great, Bear. I'm in Copperfield on the West side. I have an infinite baffle with 4 18" drivers that I might be able to demo at some point.
                                                    Jim

Comment

• Bear
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by FlashJim
                                                      Sounds great, Bear. I'm in Copperfield on the West side. I have an infinite baffle with 4 18" drivers that I might be able to demo at some point.
                                                      IB, huh? Sounds like you'd be hosting, then!

Comment

• FlashJim
                                                        • Apr 2006

At some point, yes.

I'd like to get my Dayton RS WWMT/WTMW built first.
                                                        Jim

Comment

• johngalt47
                                                          • Apr 2007

I'm down in the Friendswood/Pearland area. I would like to get listen to anyone's gear that might like to demonstrate them.

Comment

Working...
                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                          Search Result for "|||"