X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alphauby
    • Jul 2009

Best DIY for $300 ?

Hi Guys,

I am new here and this would be my first post. While reading different threads, I discovered this would be the best place on the internet to discuss DIY.

I want to buy a complete proven kit (with crossover circuit and everything but without cabinets). I am currently looking at buying L,C,R for my 7.1 HT system. Already have a pair of surrounds.

My Setup:
    Receiver: Denon 1908
    Room Size: 16' X 30'
    Carpeted Room with Brick Walls and Concrete Ceiling
    Usage: 90 % Movies, 10% Music
    I Like extremely live vocals and dialogues.

So after researching for a while, I shortlisted the following:

TriTrix (1st Priority) --- $ 120 / Pair
    Recession Buster (2nd) --- $ 60 / Pair

I do like the statements and UA 701, but they are out of my budget.

I am very conscious about vocals as 90 % of the time I am watching movies and hardly listen to any music. Maybe I would listen to songs like "Its all coming back to me" at times. Someone told me that these speakers are classic designs and there are better performers out there.

I want to buy a decent pair (or maybe a center as well) for upto $300. I believe by spending this money, I can buy DIY speakers to be par with the fancy (& far more expensive) commercial speakers. I want to get better sound in little money to be simple ! I would prefer a floor standing design.

Please recommend me the best thing I can get in this range ...

Thanks
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

When asking for advise it's considered good form to post circumstances that are likely to impact the situation.

An example of this would be the fact that you're posting from Pakistan. If that's where you live you can't expect to buy any of these systems for their US prices.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• alphauby
      • Jul 2009

Is it odd to own speakers in Pakistan ? We have all sorts of stuff available here. Besides buying at the U.S prices or not is really not a concern.

Since, little expertise is available to me locally, thought this would be a good way to go.

Does location really matter that much while discussing speakers ?

Comment

• mazurek
        • Mar 2006

Not sure of availability, but it seems you are going to be better off using a design with drivers such as Seas or Peerless. A lot of the designs here use the partsexpress house brand (Dayton), which I don't believe has quite as wide distribution channels. But look through ZaphAudio.com, or perhaps MarkK's website, and I believe there are designs that are great, and will likely have more locally available parts. The premium designs posted here will have different drivers, but may exceed your price point.

Don't get me wrong, I love partsexpress, but I get free shipping.

Comment

• alphauby
          • Jul 2009

Is it odd to own speakers in Pakistan ? We have all sorts of stuff available here. Besides buying at the U.S prices or not is really not a concern.

Since, little expertise is available to me locally, thought this would be a good way to go.

Comment

• Coconutout
            • Oct 2006

hes obviously trying to spend US dollars to order from the states. theres no need to voice concern over shipping which is only extra calculation he has to make. for that its irrelevant to discuss where hes located and therefore the question was completely sensible.

Comment

• Jonasz
              • Nov 2004

Why don't you stretch your budget a notch and get the Zaph SR71 kit? It's been built and is well liked by a lot of people and I'm sure you can redesign the box to a floorstander.

Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

for that its irrelevant to discuss where hes located and therefore the question was completely sensible.
                The issue is shipping.

And IMO it is relevant when we're talking about buying a $10 woofer (like those in the TriTrix) then spend $50 getting it shipped 1/2 way across the planet.

The $120/pr TriTrix is a reasonable investment for a cheap speaker if one lives in the US and gets free shipping. Sending a pair to Pakistan will result in these cheap speakers costing double, triple, or possibly more. This means at the final price point the amount invested is grossly disproportional to the performance obtained.

Transcontinental shipping is not one of PE strengths. They tend to send everything UPS, and UPS is more than a bit $pendy.

A more realistic option would be to see what's available in countries closer to where the OP lives..

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Coconutout
                  • Oct 2006

he stated $300 for the budget of speakers without mentioning shipping costs. for you to think that he was including that in his calculation is an assumption on your part. since im living in china i know the shipping would be above $100 from US even though i still figure PE is the best place to order. so if i were to inquire about the budget of my next project i would naturally figure it as $100 less than the total amount i'm willing to spend and ask from there. im assuming thats what he has done. i can't even find any foreign websites that sell speaker kits. go america!! :P

Comment

• LING GOWA
                    • Dec 2007

Australia’s #1 source for DIY audio kits & components
                    Website

Comment

• blue934
                      • Mar 2008

Parts Extress worldwide

if it helps, PE advertises an asian site Baysidenet.jp and for europe Intertechnik.de in the Audio Xpress mag. haven't checked out the site personally tho.

david

Comment

• Curt C
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by alphauby
                        I want to buy a complete proven kit (with crossover circuit and everything but without cabinets). I am currently looking at buying L,C,R for my 7.1 HT system. Already have a pair of surrounds.
                        For what it's worth, the TriTrix design can also be built as a sealed or vented center channel. You can see more at my site. (click on my link below)

C
                        Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"