X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darwin
    • May 2006

Cabinet maker

I've been thinking about scaling back my current HT/music 5.1 (Magnepan) system and the Statement monitors have caught my eye. The more I read about the Statements, the more impressed I am with them. What's preventing me from jumping in and building a set is that I lack the tools or the space, and to further complicate things is the fact that I'm confined to a wheelchair.
    Is anyone aware of someone who builds speaker cabinets? I don't have anyone local to me to do the job.
  • exojam
    • Dec 2006

Darwin,

It seems you and I are in the same boat. I am stuck in a Quickie myself. When I needed both speaker and subwoofer cabinets made I had a gentleman named Wayne do the cabinet work.

Since the Statement Monitors were created by Curt C and Jim H, you may ping them and see if they can point you in the correct direction (Curt C and Jim Holtz as listed on the forum).

You may also try and ping chasw98 and see if he know’s anyone down in South Florida who may be able to help you out.

James
    Last edited by exojam; 31 July 2009, 18:27 Friday.

Comment

• LuncHwagon
      • May 2009

You can also try calling around and see if any of the local starving cabinet makers would be willing to cut the wood to your dimentions. You might be able to glue from there. I did that and several shops where falling all over themselves on the bid.

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Is Bunge back in FL? I don't remember where he is any more. :P If he is, he does superb work.
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Saurav
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

I was going to suggest Brian Bunge as well. He's either moving to Florida, or away from it, I can't keep track Try sending him an IM.

Comment

• Jed
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Apr 2005

Nik Brewer does good work. Also Lee Taylor.

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Last I talked to him Bunge is in GA.

Comment

• Dennis H
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2002

I don't have anyone local to me to do the job.
                Almost every small town has a local guy who builds kitchen cabinets. It's all the same skills so find the local guy and show him the plans.

Comment

• darwin
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by Dennis H
                  Almost every small town has a local guy who builds kitchen cabinets. It's all the same skills so find the local guy and show him the plans.
                  I haven't had any luck with that in the past. When I needed a manifold made for my IB, the two cabinet makers in town both turned their noses up at the job. It'll be a a very cold, snowy day here before I ever ask them for anything again.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. To be a little more clear, I would like to find someone to build the cabinets and veneer them, if possible, and I would do the final finishing - fine sanding, stain, oil, installing the drivers, etc.

Comment

• EdL
                    • Apr 2005

You're talking about these, right?

What combination? 4 identical and center? Sub?

post here or pm me with your wishes

YGM
                    Ed

Comment

• darwin
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by EdL
                      You're talking about these, right?

What combination? 4 identical and center? Sub?

post here or pm me with your wishes

YGM
                      Those are the speakers I've been considering. I would like four of those and one of the matching Statement center speaker. I already have an IB sub, so I don't need a sub. At least not yet. :B

Comment

• mazurek
                        • Mar 2006

I've had mixed experience with local cabinet makers. Had two good experiences in Columbus, OH. Had one really dumb experience in Connecticut where one guy went through a long drawn out quoting process and finally quoted me some prices just to show me I couldn't afford his services. One thing I've found is that some people more than others like doing slightly different work because it interests them.

I gave up on finding anything honestly priced in Connecticut, and ended up buying all the tools for a shop for much less than the divas want. I'm not sure if the others mentioned yet, but there are some people advertising reasonably priced CNC services on the partsexpress forums.

Comment

• Vilbig
                          • May 2008

Originally posted by Jed
                          Nik Brewer does good work. Also Lee Taylor.
                          +1 on Nik Brewer. He has a CNC in his garage & will take the project through veneer & finish if you want.

Webs.com has been shut down on the 31st of August 2023. Find out what that means for your site and how to move it to another provider.

Comment

• darwin
                            • May 2006

Thanks very much for all of the suggestions, folks. I've contacted a couple of these people to get an idea of the cost.

On a related note - If I buy the cabinets pre-assembled, will that create any problems for me in installing the crossovers or any of the other components?

Before I get too far along, is anyone interested in working out a trade for my black and cherry Maggie 1.6QRs (with Mye stands) and matching Maggie CC3 center, by any chance? :B

Comment

• TacoD
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by darwin

On a related note - If I buy the cabinets pre-assembled, will that create any problems for me in installing the crossovers or any of the other components?
                              If your cabinet has separate compartments then it is wise to let the builder already drill the cable holes. An x-over is very flexible, i.e., you can separate the high/ low passes to make it fit through the driver cut-outs.

Comment

• chasw98
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jan 2006

Where in central florida are you? We might be able to do something with the maggie's. A pair of 1.6QR's and a CC3 would fit my array project possibly....

Comment

• darwin
                                  • May 2006

Originally posted by chasw98
                                  Where in central florida are you? We might be able to do something with the maggie's. A pair of 1.6QR's and a CC3 would fit my array project possibly....
                                  That sounds interesting.
                                  I'm about 40 miles northwest of Orlando and about 30 miles south of Ocala.

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2001

I'm just seeing this. Yeah, I'm back in Metro-Atlanta. About a year ago I built a big quad 15" subwoofer for a guy in Orlando (and another guy in Charlotte).

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Comment

• penngray
                                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Vilbig
                                      +1 on Nik Brewer. He has a CNC in his garage & will take the project through veneer & finish if you want.

http://www.freewebs.com/uber-stealth/
                                      +1 on Nik, he build these for me. I veneered them.

His price and quality is great but is order back log may not be great so you have to wait.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"