X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blademansw
    • Jul 2009

Converting Floorstanders to in wal

Hi Everyone....another newbie...;-)

I have a pair of KEF Q80 floorstanders, which are looking a bit tired now. Still sound great though!

Just about to completely gut my living room, hang the flatscreen on the wall etc, and I wondered if pulling the drivers out of my Q80's and converting them into in wall speakers is a feasible thing to do?

Thanks
  • Pat.M
    • Jul 2009

I'm far from being an expert myself . I'm guessing as long as you make an enclosure that matches the volume and tuning of your previous ones, then you should be ok. I would also think placing them at listening level or offset them if they are to be placed higher up.
    A week and a half ago I decided I would like to start a DIY HT system. I never thought if was as difficult as it is, for example volume and box tunning and having to test them in the end.
    Once my center channel enclosue is done, I'll probably duplicate designs I have found on this site for the rest of my setup.

Comment

• Face
      • Mar 2007

If they have any sort of baffle step compensation, they won't sound nearly as good.
      SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Please see this post for the likely change in frequency response due to the in-wall mounting:
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• jkrutke
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
          Please see this post for the likely change in frequency response due to the in-wall mounting:
          http://htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=34016
          Nice work by Toole. Figure 12.9b is the exact reason I came up with this design:

It's designed to avoid that dip almost completely. Anyone considering a new on-wall design might want to look into this type of shape. A cube is the worst thing to put up against the wall.
          Zaph|Audio

Comment

• blademansw
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by jkrutke
            Nice work by Toole. Figure 12.9b is the exact reason I came up with this design:

It's designed to avoid that dip almost completely. Anyone considering a new on-wall design might want to look into this type of shape. A cube is the worst thing to put up against the wall.
            Very nice work

Thats given me some information to look into there, thanks very much gents...I shall have to pull the drivers out tommorrow and have a look to see if there is any baffling in there.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"