X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lurkalot
    • Dec 2005

Dayton HT Speakers in Progress

With great humility and trepidation I submit three pics of my HT speaker build in progress. They have taken me a good deal longer than they should have, but I have learned much and enjoyed the building process. For those with a critical eye, please go easy on me. I know there is a lot of hookup wire- I broke up the crossovers because I just could not find a way to layout the crossovers and maintain adequate inductor spacing, regardless of how I positioned them...

I hope they sound pretty good after all this work. They should be into the paint shop by next Tuesday or so...

Bruce
    Attached Files
  • TacoD
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2004

Looks good to me. I would advise to fix the wires to the braces. To reduce the change of "rattles".

Comment

• savage25xtreme
      • Dec 2008

kinda hard to see but no round over or chamfer on the driver cut outs?
      Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• fbov
        • Jun 2008

Look closer; inner driver cut outs are chamfered, but shallow and not near the t-nuts.

Comment

• penngray
          • Sep 2007

kinda hard to see but no round over or chamfer on the driver cut outs?
          Is there a link to explain the importance of the internal round over on the driver cutouts?

Comment

• Dean100
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by penngray
            Is there a link to explain the importance of the internal round over on the driver cutouts?
            Zaph talks about it quite a bit at this link.

Jon Marsh explains it in quite a number of threads here at HTGuide. Try a search.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Jed
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by penngray

The cone needs area around it to breathe otherwise the reflections bounce right back through the cone from the baffle tunnel and cause resonances and frequency response variations.

Comment

• Lurkalot
                • Dec 2005

Relieving rear of baffle board driver openings

The reliefs are actually wider than they appear in the image. I did not know how deep to make them, so I tried to strike a balance between strength around the fasteners and facilitating good airflow.

Do they look inadequate?

Comment

• savage25xtreme
                  • Dec 2008

did you use a round over? if so what size? is the baffle 3/4" thick?
                  Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• Lurkalot
                    • Dec 2005

Baffle Reliefs

The baffle is laminated with epoxy from 5/8" MDF & 3/4" Baltic Birch Plywood. If you include the recessed section, the frame of the woofers project a total of about 1/2" into the baffle opening, so the scalloped section starts about 1/8" from that.

In hindsight I could have done a better job with this; since I really cannot do anything more now, I hope what I have done is adequate.

Live and learn-lose and learn I suppose...

Comment

• ---k---
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Nov 2005

Ahhh, it is easy to fix. Go to Lowes, Home Depot, or where ever and buy a Rasp. Something like this:

Then just file it until it looks like the driver can breath nicely. You'll probably spend less than 10 minutes per hole. The RS150 is probably the more important one, since it is shallower to begin with. You probably want to end up with like a 45 degree - 5/8" deep chamfer.

See what you can do. It isn't the end of the world.
                      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"