X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Robert F.
    • Apr 2007

Question about room treatment / Mini-Statements

Hello all,
    I am in the process of building a pair of mini statements speakers. These will go into my basement where I am building a listening area. I will be constructing some DIY room treatments for this area. With the open back on the mid tunnel, what effect will wall treatments directly behind the speakers have? So far the room treatment information I have found has not said anything about the design of the speakers themselves and how that may relate to the room treatments.

Thanks all,

Robert
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The rearwave off the mid is used to reinforce it's output. This means any trap placed behind it shouldn't absorb those frequencies

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• mikela
      • Mar 2008

Would a diffuser work best in this situation? Classic accoustic treatments for HT usually involve making the front wall dead.

Comment

• Robert F.
        • Apr 2007

Thank you all for your reply. This area will be used for two channel listening. The area is 13’ x 13’. I am going to build some DIY panels out of Rockwool / fiberglass / polyester, wrapped in burlap or some other open fabric. Now the area is bare concrete walls on two sides and floor with unfinished ceiling and one wall has yet to be constructed. I am open to any suggestions. Especially about the ceiling, it is just rafters now.

Thanks,
        Robert

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Robert F.
          I am going to build some DIY panels out of Rockwool / fiberglass / polyester, wrapped in burlap or some other open fabric.
          The panels immediately behind the speakers should have reflective layer of material behind the outer covering. This will bounce the frequencies coming from the open-back midrange drivers back into the room.

Listening rooms designed with LEDE (live-end>dead-end) principles are IMO best for music.

Ceilings are best treated with 'cloud' type absorbers. These are the standard DIY panel suspended from the ceiling.

Placement of absorbers and diffusers is determined by taking measurements in the room.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Robert F.
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by ThomasW
            The panels immediately behind the speakers should have reflective layer of material behind the outer covering. This will bounce the frequencies coming from the open-back midrange drivers back into the room.

Listening rooms designed with LEDE (live-end>dead-end) principles are IMO best for music.

Ceilings are best treated with 'cloud' type absorbers. These are the standard DIY panel suspended from the ceiling.

Placement of absorbers and diffusers is determined by taking measurements in the room.

Thank you, Thomas.
            This is exactly the info I need. I will do a web search on this.
            Thanks again for pointing me in the correct direction.

Robert

Comment

• bluewizard
              • Mar 2008

At the local movie theater, after the movie I checked out the walls. The lower part of the walls were covered with a thin carpet, similar to automotive carpet, or the carpet you see covering some speaker cabinets. A

About 3 or 4 feet up the wall the carpet transitioned to padded fabric. The fabric was somewhat coarse like burlap, but not quite that coarse. The fabric was also pleated to make the surface more irregular. Behind the fabric was a thin soft layer of padding. I couldn't quite tell what, but it seemed to be about a half inch of Poly batting.

Of course, the ceilings in the room were very high.

I also like ThomasW's "LEDE (live-end>dead-end)" concept. I think the back wall, or wall farthest from the speakers causes the most problem. Reflections from that wall, are going to cause problems. To some extent, reflections from the wall directly behind the speakers, are going to re-enforce the sound.

So, the far wall is critical. I need to stop massive full face standing waves, but, on the other hand, it can't be completely non-reflective. So, I would say it needs a soft absorbing diffuser. Just as an easy illustration, it could be covered with soft convoluted foam; absorbs, reflects, and diffuses.

So, I think the goal is to make a soft room that is not so soft it becomes dead. You want to cut down on reflections, but you don't want to cut them out entirely.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"