X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ray Tremblay
    • Jun 2008

Dayton RS100, RS125, RS150, RS180, RS225, RS270

Who are these manufactured by? The RS series tweeter is made by Usher and the 2 inch dome mid is made by Peerless. What about the RS series woofers?
    Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

The Merlots
    Scanspeak R2904/7000's, Scanspeak 15M4531K00's, Dayton RSS265HF-4's, MiniDSP 2x8, Class D amplification
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Believe those may actually be custom made for them.

Comment

• Ray Tremblay
      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Dougie085
      Believe those may actually be custom made for them.
      Well, yeah. But by who?

The manufacturer? Anyone?

Maybe im confused about how the manufacturing works. I thought the RS tweets were "custom made" by Usher for Parts Express to be sold under their house brand, "Dayton Audio". The same with the 2" dome mids. Custom made by Peerless (India) to be sold under the Dayton Audio name by Parts Express.
      Is this incorrect?
      Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

The Merlots
      Scanspeak R2904/7000's, Scanspeak 15M4531K00's, Dayton RSS265HF-4's, MiniDSP 2x8, Class D amplification

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

I believe that you are correct. The RS28 is definitely made by Usher. I have no idea who makes the RS100, etc.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• brianpowers27
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Ray Tremblay
          Who are these manufactured by? The RS series tweeter is made by Usher and the 2 inch dome mid is made by Peerless. What about the RS series woofers?
          I am sure that this is top secret information...
          --My Speaker building pages http://sites.google.com/site/brianpowers27speakers/
          --Get yourself on this forum member map! This can help everyone find fellow DIYers in the area.
          --The Speaker DIY resource Database

Comment

• Ray Tremblay
            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by brianpowers27
            I am sure that this is top secret information...
            It's starting to seem that way.

Ok. WHY is it being kept "hush-hush"?

The Merlots

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

Probably NDA's. If I were Usher (or whoever), I would want J. Public to think that Dayton drivers were generic inferiors and therefore I should pay big bucks for their drivers.
              - Ryan

Comment

• brianpowers27
                • Feb 2009

Or possibly PE wants this to be kept secret for their own reasons.
                --My Speaker building pages http://sites.google.com/site/brianpowers27speakers/
                --Get yourself on this forum member map! This can help everyone find fellow DIYers in the area.
                --The Speaker DIY resource Database

Comment

• cjd
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Dec 2004

You can conspiracy theory all you want - this has been around the block a few times. I vaguely remember hearing at one time but do not know, at this point.

Why is it particularly important?
                  diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• jkrutke
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
                    Probably NDA's. If I were Usher (or whoever), I would want J. Public to think that Dayton drivers were generic inferiors and therefore I should pay big bucks for their drivers.
                    It's more likely that PE does not want their source identified so that they could be bypassed for large orders of Dayton RS drivers direct from the manufacturer.

When I was at Tymphany with Mark K years ago, I asked who their biggest customers were and they made it super clear that their customers wished to remain confidential. So generally, for any vendor who does not manufacture their own goods, the real manufacturer is top secret.

In any case, even if you knew the name of the manufacturer, it probably wouldn't mean anything to you. There has got to be at least 100 "unbranded" manufacturers. These are build houses that don't have a house brand, but do OEM manufacturing only. There are even a bunch here in the Midwest.

Also, you could make a guess at where a driver comes from based on it's looks, but don't be so sure. Build houses mix and match parts from other manufacturers, such as cones, frames, voice coils and other parts. Some have no in-house part creation, only assembly.
                    Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Rick Craig
                      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Ray Tremblay
                      I know who the manufacturer is and I have had them quote drivers for me in the past (not anything like the RS series). They are a large OEM and supply other manufacturers that are well-known.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jun 2006

I believe Darren Kuzma once said the information was secret.

I've always wondered why we know the RS28 is an Usher, the RS52 is a Peerless, and we also know who makes the Titanic subs (but I forget at the moment).
                        Javier Huerta

Comment

• ---k---
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2005

Leaks. Oopses. Similarity to original products.
                          - Ryan

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"