X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alexcd
    • Feb 2006

Statement Mini vs full-Statements

I've read all the reviews I could find about these designs. I love the look of the WMTMW Statement towers and am fighting myself not to base my decision to build them on looks alone. What if any are the benefits of the WMTMW over the TMWW design?? I dont care much about the small gain in efficiency. Is there a major sonic difference? These would be used in a long but not that wide room. 30' long and 15ft wide. Unfortunately my couch and TV are only 15ft apart since positioning everything lengthwise was not possible.
  • LuncHwagon
    • May 2009

if youre married, make sure you get approval for the Statements first. They are as tall as an man. Ministatements are more in-line with retail-based tower speakers.

Comment

• alexcd
      • Feb 2006

Good point good thing I am not married yet. These are strictly for a guy pad.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Then go for the big speakers while they're still an option .... :B

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• alexcd
          • Feb 2006

Just being a devil's advocate or believe they are better?

Comment

• LuncHwagon
            • May 2009

i think i would go big also. Youre going to get "more sound" with the larger speaker. From what i've read, everyone seems to love their Statements of any size. I'm married, i had to go with the minis. Still being built.

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Both....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dennis H
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2002

You have a pretty big room and, while they sound similar, the big ones will play louder. As Al Bundy would say, go for the Big Uns.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2006

I'd definitely go for the big ones. I'm a fan of MTM's vertical dispersion, especially with hardwood floors. I can imagine WMTMW's can only get better.
                  Javier Huerta

Comment

• alexcd
                    • Feb 2006

What if I have all carpet? Not as big of a difference? I actually dont plan on playing them that loud. I like the double woofer for added richness and bass potential but I dont need them to scream. If the WMTMW adds a level of clarity to the mid range I will certainly not hold back to get it.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Hi Alex,

Thank you for considering the Statements as your next speaker. If you choose to build them, I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Here are some thoughts. I think you'll find few differences in clarity or bass richness to use your term between ANY of the Statements series speakers. You'll also find that bass extension is very similar between all of the Statements designs. However, you will find the full size Statements will have more bass impact at any volume level. Followed by the Mini's and then the Monitors.

Depending on your musical tastes, all will be very satisfying to listen to on anything except the most demanding heavy bass tracks. The Monitors put out amazing bass for a single 7" driver.

So, take your pick. They all sound great but the full sized Statements are the most effortless on demanding music.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• Dean100
                        • Jan 2007

Another vote for the big ones, mainly due to the size of your room. If this is your first DIY project and you build the Mini Statements, you will quickly find yourself wondering what you are missing by not having built the full size Statements.

Comment

• Curt C
                          • Feb 2005

Well, just in case you need one more vote for the Statements :T before you go for the gusto...

Having had the pleasure of all the Statement series gracing my listening room at one time or another, my thoughts coincide with Jim's. The Statements have a nice bass impact that the smaller Statements can't quite recreate.
                          -Oh, the bass is there, but you don't feel it in your chest like the Statements.

As us old motorheads like to say: "There ain't no replacement for displacement". :B

C
                          Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• David LR
                            • Jul 2009

Room Size ?

Hi-

First post ever ! Thanks for listening. I'm considering exactly this choice also. Hope this isn't hi-jacking too much, but my related questions have to do with room size & listening distance.

My listening room is almost square, approximately 15 x 15. Is this too small for the full size Statements ?

Also, how much listening distance do you need, Statements vs. Mini-statements for the drivers to properly "sum", if that's the correct terminology. As it's currently set up, my listening position is only about 6' from the speakers.

Thanks for your answers. Thanks also for a great forum with tons of experienced, educated well informed people. I'm amazed at the number of EE's, retired NASA engineers, etc. who contribute to forums like these. Sure helps out a guy like me !

Dave

Comment

• alexcd
                              • Feb 2006

I dont mind new questions. My mind is pretty much made up to build the full towers but maybe you can think of something I forgot to ask.

Comment

• David LR
                                • Jul 2009

Thanks Alex, for letting me tag on here. So, in your research ,did you see any "minimum" recommended room size for the large Statements ? I think my head is telling me that my 15 x 15 room is somewhat to small but I'd but I'd like to be convinced otherwise !

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by David LR
                                  Thanks Alex, for letting me tag on here. So, in your research ,did you see any "minimum" recommended room size for the large Statements ? I think my head is telling me that my 15 x 15 room is somewhat to small but I'd but I'd like to be convinced otherwise !
                                  Hi Guys,

OK, 15'x15' is not a problem for the Statements but sitting 6' from the speakers is pushing it, IMHO. I'd suggest that you shoot for 8' minimum and 10' or more is great.

It's not summing of the drivers but the back wave integration with the front sound wave that would be more of a concern in my mind. Maybe Curt will chime in with some sage advice. I'm guessing on this one since I've not actually sat that close.

BTW, my room is 15'x20' and I sit back about 15'. They sound great! :T

Jim
                                  Last edited by Jim Holtz; 22 July 2009, 22:55 Wednesday.

Comment

• Curt C
                                    • Feb 2005

I was waiting on YOUR sage advice ;x( Jim!

My room is larger than Jim's but about the same width as yours. I had them around 10' from my listening position and they integrated quite well. If you can arrainge the room to suit those requirements, you should be golden

C
                                    Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• David LR
                                      • Jul 2009

Thank you both for your answers. In my situation, the speaker wall & TV wall are the same, probably the same for most people. If I move the listening position to 10' that means I need a bigger TV appropriate for viewing at 10' !

I'm sure my wife will be convinced by such utterly un-refutable logic. :roll:

Comment

• NateTTU
                                        • Jul 2007

It sounds like you may have already made up your mind, but I will put in another vote for the large Statements. I have both the full sized and mini versions and if you have the oppurtunity I would get the larger design.

Comment

• LuncHwagon
                                          • May 2009

I might add that its been my understanding that the speakers need to be about 1-2ft from the wall.

Comment

• FroDaddy
                                            • Mar 2006

Full size Statements are my vote

Comment

• soundemon
                                              • May 2009

Go full size!
                                              DIY - once you start down that (dark) path, forever will it dominate your destiny!

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"