X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

DIY MDF dust separator

I'm a follower of hackaday and saw a nice, cheap, easy way to create your own cyclonic dust separator, so you aren't consantly clogging your shop vac. Anyhow thought it was worth a post here:

[youtube= [Don] was having issues with dust when working with MDF. He had a shop vac overheat and die because of it. When looking for solutions, he saw several systems that used cyclonic dust seper…
    -Chuck
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I've seen quite a few people make these with sheet metal.

Comment

• M.Roberts8
      • Jan 2006

Here's a link to a place that makes a kit (basically just the cyclone) for 59.00. Kinda pricey I guess, but easier than glueing a bunch of cups together and trying to get a vac hose conector on there too. Besides this one looks cooler.
      link

Comment

• Hank
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2002

Here you go - $19.95 and $34.95 solutions:

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by M.Roberts8
          Here's a link to a place that makes a kit (basically just the cyclone) for 59.00. Kinda pricey I guess, but easier than glueing a bunch of cups together and trying to get a vac hose conector on there too. Besides this one looks cooler.
          link
          I have one of those they work great .... :T
          Originally posted by Hank
          Here you go - $19.95 and $34.95 solutions:
          http://www.pennstateind.com/store/tr...eparators.html
          I had one of the larger ones they don't work very well so it went into the Goodwill box.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Ahh 60 bucks ain't bad. They have some that are like 300-1000. Of course some of their stuff is a full system but those are even higher then 1k.

Comment

• Dennis H
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2002

Originally posted by ThomasW
              I had one of the larger ones they don't work very well so it went into the Goodwill box.
              It takes a small diameter to separate out small particles like MDF dust.

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
                Cool I was wondering if someone around had tried it. Going to have get one now.

Comment

• dwk
                  • Apr 2005

I have the Clearvue equivalent of the Dust Deputy and while I haven't put a ton of mileage on it, it seems to work great. The ability to put a HEPA filter in the shop vac and not have it clog after 5 seconds of sucking up router dust is great.

Comment

• Undefinition
                    • Dec 2006

but easier than glueing a bunch of cups together and trying to get a vac hose conector on there too. Besides this one looks cooler.
                    ... and you call yourself a DIYer? :W

Seriously, though, I am just in awe of how brilliant that hack is. I was just complaining to my father in law today about how MDF dust clogs up the filters on my shop vac so fast, and here I see this! And I'm sorry but the zoo cups and Chinese food containers really sent it over the top for me; really gives it some character! :B
                    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
                    Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Undefinition
                      ... and you call yourself a DIYer? :W
                      Hey watch it
                      It's just I'd rather build a speaker than a shop vac attachment. I gotta get cracking, I have a dual 15" sub for the nephew and 5 China Syndromes (2 towers w/subs)for my daughters room.

Comment

• bobhowell
                        • Jul 2008

I built a big one out of HVAC based sheetmetal 15 years ago, with a 1.5 hp blower from Penn St on top. Works great and will handle 5-600cfm, which is a 12 planner or a table saw and a band saw at the same time. Way over kill for most.

From my experience I say keep it simple. Mine is a pain to empty the bin for larger particals, so I don't do it enough. The 30 gal lid from Penn St would be fine and a Great improvement. Lowes sell Heavy duty bags you can put in it initially, and not have to dump it over when its full. They also sell a muffler to quiet down the ShopVac.

Comment

• impala454
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Undefinition
                          I was just complaining to my father in law today about how MDF dust clogs up the filters on my shop vac so fast, and here I see this!
                          Awesome, I figured it'd help someone out. As I had the same problems. I admit I'd probably just buy the thing but at least it got the word out that these things exist
                          -Chuck

Comment

• impala454
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2007

I gotta get cracking, I have a dual 15" sub for the nephew
                            why can't I have an uncle like this :cry:
                            -Chuck

Comment

• JonP
                              • Apr 2006

Cool stuff... it's always good to do more to reduce the dust load...

Yeah, this isn't any protection from the finer, dangerous particles... but to mostly cut down on the lodes of larger stuff that clogs filters faster... A portion of that fine stuff will always be blowing out your shopvac exhaust.. so aim it accordingly, and use good protection.

You usually can get a fine filter bag for your shop vac... I can get 1 micron bags for my Sears one... that helps some. Something like this will help your more expensive bags go longer between changes...

Do some research, there's various things out ther about the dust hazard and what to do about it. Some other high end cyclones too, that are pretty cool.

I'm all for DIY everything too... but I wonder how much fiddling to get the angles optimized on a full DIY build of one of these, etc... vs buying one for $50 or so......

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"