X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • frugalfather
    • Jul 2009

How do I change Zaph's B3N Notch Filter for 4ohms

I built Zaph's B3N full range speakers and my wife and I really like them. I would like to build two pair of surround speakers with them. I would like to keep the baffles the same size as Zaph's original design since this is usually a crucial item. I am going to diverge from his design and run two speakers in a triangular enclosure similar to the Polk Audio LsiFX speakers (0.24 cubic foot internal volume). I intend to wire the two B3N's in parallel for a 4 ohm load. I believe that I will have to change Zaph's notch circuit to work with the 4 ohm speaker rather than the original 8 ohm design. What values do I need to change to make this notch work? Should I wire the speakers out of phase from each other as some surround speakers are?
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

1/2 the size for resistors and coils
    2x the size for caps

You could put in a switch to change from in phase to out of phase and see which you like better. I suspect you'll like them better in phase as out of phase will kill the bass.

Comment

• frugalfather
      • Jul 2009

B3N Surrounds Another Thought

Since I posted last I thought about mounting two B3N's on each baffle(in series for 16ohms) and then paralleling each 16ohm pair for 8 ohms. If I do this I could use Zaph's original countour circuit. Thanks for the idea about the switch for in/out of phase. I did something similar with the options offered by Zaph for R2(baffle step resistor) by placing two 8ohm resistors(stock value) in parallel with a switch so I could go from 8 to 4ohms to see which I liked best. I think I will do something similar with the surrounds, but to change phase as you suggested. Thanks for your support.

Comment

• Dennis H
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2002

If I do this I could use Zaph's original countour circuit.
        Yup.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"