Pittsburgh Stay 26.07 - 08.08.09. Any recommendations?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NorthernGuy
    • Aug 2008

Pittsburgh Stay 26.07 - 08.08.09. Any recommendations?

Hi @all,

I will stay in Pittsburgh from the 26.07. - 08.08. Are there any shops for audio and/or DIY audio which I could visit? It would be nice, if you have some recommendations for me?

Best Regards
    Tapio
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

There are several audio shops, as far as DIY Dayton Ohio isn't to far from Pittsburgh which is where Parts Express is. If you happen to be in pittsburgh when the Dayton DIY event goes on would definitely be something to go down for.

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

The ‘Burgh’ is not home to any special ‘must see’ audio shops. There are two in the Shadyside part of town near Pitt and Carnegie university, and another on the South end of town called Audio Junction. Nothing in the way of DIY other than the big box hardware stores.

There is Jerry’s Used Records link in Squirrel Hill, even if you don’t buy LP’s it is something to see. Over one million LP’s. Great Chinese, Pizza and Jewish deli’s all on the same block, too BTW.

But the best thing the Steel City has to offer is its music, as in real live music. Tons of clubs with everything from Alt (Club Café in the South Side) to CJ’s down in the market district and Cefello’s in Carnegie for some of the best Jazz in the nation. If you have the chance, get out see some live music, this town is home to a vibrant and talented naton of musicians.
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Face
        • Mar 2007

Unless you're staying in the theater district, stay in at night.
        SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• NorthernGuy
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by wkhanna
          The ‘Burgh’ is not home to any special ‘must see’ audio shops. There are two in the Shadyside part of town near Pitt and Carnegie university, and another on the South end of town called Audio Junction. Nothing in the way of DIY other than the big box hardware stores.

There is Jerry’s Used Records link in Squirrel Hill, even if you don’t buy LP’s it is something to see. Over one million LP’s. Great Chinese, Pizza and Jewish deli’s all on the same block, too BTW.

But the best thing the Steel City has to offer is its music, as in real live music. Tons of clubs with everything from Alt (Club Café in the South Side) to CJ’s down in the market district and Cefello’s in Carnegie for some of the best Jazz in the nation. If you have the chance, get out see some live music, this town is home to a vibrant and talented naton of musicians.
          :T Great! That sounds promising. Thank you for the hints.

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Southside, downtown, and some other area's are not bad at night. But every city has its crime spots.

Comment

• wkhanna
              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Face
              Unless you're staying in the theater district, stay in at night.
              Respectfully, as a city resident, I beg to differ. Any city has its 'seedy' areas, but as a person who lives in this city, I can sincerly say that my wife and I have no fears of frequenting the night spots I mentioned. If you are looking for trouble, I can easily direct you to the perfered areas, otherwise, anyone who has the slightest bit of common sense and 'street/city smarts' will have no reason for concern of their safety, day or night, while in Pittsburgh.

If you have had, or heard from someone you know, a different experience while in this town, I would have to say it was a V unfortunate event, and not typical for the vast majority of residents or visitors.

If you do some research, you will find that Pittsburgh has been listed as #1 for being the most livable citiy in America for many years running. Great Arts, schools, and cultural institutions and events mark just few of its amenities. You don’t get a rep like that for being an unsafe place to live or visit.
              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Exactly, like I said before every city has their bad area's and Pittsburgh is no different. But as a whole I don't find Pittsburgh to be near as bad as some of the places I've lived. If you go to the more popular area's you are generally ok. I really liked southside and over near Pitt a lot.

Comment

• Face
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by wkhanna
                  Respectfully, as a city resident, I beg to differ. Any city has its 'seedy' areas, but as a person who lives in this city, I can sincerly say that my wife and I have no fears of frequenting the night spots I mentioned. If you are looking for trouble, I can easily direct you to the perfered areas, otherwise, anyone who has the slightest bit of common sense and 'street/city smarts' will have no reason for concern of their safety, day or night, while in Pittsburgh.

If you have had, or heard from someone you know, a different experience while in this town, I would have to say it was a V unfortunate event, and not typical for the vast majority of residents or visitors.
                  My opinion is based on my recent stay in the theater district. On weekend nights I saw either a police officer or security guard every few hundred feet, and still witnessed some of the uppity crowd being harassed. And on weeknights, I was told by the hotel staff not to leave the hotel's immediate area. I could go on, but it wouldn't be conducive for this thread. I apologize for making an assumption that the rest of the city was the same.
                  SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"