X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • syzygylock
    • Sep 2007

A funny thing I would like to share

Hi all, finally I am on my way to build my first Natalie Ps as L/C/R and 2 Encores (from PE) for my HT system. My uncle came by today while I am in the middle of making the NatPs, he started to say that it can't compare with some of the store speakers (e.g. Infinity, Bose, small factor speakers) and the new wireless speakers. He doesn't know what speaker I am making, so I just smile and continue.

Should I say anything to him? or just finish building and just let him "feel" it :twisted:
  • PoorboyMike
    • Oct 2005

Don't say anything until he hears them. 8)

Quite a while ago, a guy I work with heard I was making my own speakers and asked my why I didn't just get Bose. 8O He said they were the best you could get, blah blah blah......Well, about a year ago I was at his new house and he cranked them up for me. I didn't say anything about it to him, but holy crap, did they sound bad!! Anyway, he lost his job a few months back but stopped by my house about a month ago because he was in the area. He asked if he could hear my system so I put on a Fleetwood Mac DVD and cranked it up. To put it mildly, he was floored by how much better it sounded than his.

So let your uncle think what he wants for now, because you certainly can't tell him any different. Once he hears the NatPs, you wont have to say another word. :T

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

The NatP's are an amazing bargain when it comes to speakers. Some people don't know what SQ is though.

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

Originally posted by syzygylock
        Should I say anything to him? or just finish building and just let him "feel" it
        Talk is cheap so I'd wait until you have something that backs up your claims.

Nigel.

Comment

• Tsloms
          • Oct 2006

Listening to speakers is all about perspective. Most people have only heard little crappy systems like Bose and think they sound great. It's not until they actually do hear something better that they will change their mind. No amount of convincing will do any good. They need to hear the difference for themselves.

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

What he said....
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

And even sometimes when they hear something better, they still prefer the bloated bass sound from some commercial speakers. It is very possible that he will not like the NatP's, even in direct comparison. Not everyone is into a clear, crisp, distortion free midrange. See the Zaph versus Energy thread recently at PE.
              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• crazyjpeters
                • Dec 2008

Funny, I'm in exactly the same position. A friend of mine just plopped 5000CAD on a Bose system, and while I have told him my opinion of Bose before the transaction took place, I'm keeping my tongue tied until my NatP's are finished.

Look on the bright side - at least you're not arguing religion with him, just disagreeing with his taste in speakers.

J

Comment

• syzygylock
                  • Sep 2007

We will see, I am building the cross overs now and should be done this weekend. Can't wait

Comment

• fjhuerta
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jun 2006

A couple of friends said the same thing, until they heard my Nat-P's. The RS28 really, really blew them away.
                    Javier Huerta

Comment

• jliedeka
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by crazyjpeters
                      Look on the bright side - at least you're not arguing religion with him, just disagreeing with his taste in speakers.
                      And the difference is?

Comment

• cjd
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Dec 2004

audiophilia (hmm, this appears to not be a real word... is there one for this?) trips the same regions of the brain that cause folks to go particularly religious. Someone buying Bose may only have a mild case of it, which is how most people react to religion as well.
                        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                          • Jul 2007

This sounds a bit daft, but get him to sit down and listen to his favourite music first WHILST he has his eyes closed. It depends on how open people are to change. If he believes his Bose system has to be better because it is a commercial one and doesn't like the asthetics or build quality etc... of your DIY attempt, he might try and justify his original preference. Let the music speak for itself.

Comment

• kizm0
                            • Jul 2009

I don't know..your whole plan might get ruined if you're trying to impress the person.

He might still think his system is better..

Basically, what Dave Bullet said.

Some people are more about aesthetics\brand-name\bigger price..which is a horrible way to judge a products quality..but who knows.

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

Some people only care about highs and lows.....Even though Bose's highs are horrible and the lows are bloated and distorted to hell and back...some people think that's what good music is.

Comment

• ---k---
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Nov 2005

But, they are happy. Why must those of us who are enlightened prove to everyone else how unenlightened they are. Leave them be...

I think we've past the noise floor Jon mentioned in the other thread.
                                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"