This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kizm0
    • Jul 2009

What do you think these guys have on the KRK VXT8's? Or 6's (Since these are 5" - closest to 6")

KRK Systems has been Behind Great Music for almost 35 years. Learn more and shop for Studio Monitors, Headphones, Subwoofers, Speakers, Monitoring Applications and Room Correction Technology.

Comment

• kizm0
      • Jul 2009

The monitors without the router or jigsaw would cost around $295 per pair /w amps and power adapter.

That's basically half of what VXT4's cost.

Edit:

Hmmm.

I already ordered $58 of the parts. This will save me $120 on my next build. I plan to build the ZD5's or something better on my next build. It's going to be after I buy the rest of my studio equipment though.

Comment

• kizm0
        • Jul 2009

The total I'm going to have to spend for ZMV5's is $446. (2 of them)
        The KRK VXT4's (2) cost 400 to 600. 600 Would get me Retail, but same product.

ZMV5 Pros:
        • I get a Router + Router Table, Jasper Circle Jig, and LCR Meter included in that $446.
        • I can use the cabinet for other speakers.
        • Would be built out of MDF Board, and have Sonic Barrier + PolyFill interior.
        • Will also look better, as it will match my room.
        • ZMV5s will have good components in the Crossover.
        • The woofer is 5"
        • I know what these will sound like based on frequency response charts.
        • Titanium Tweeter

ZMV5 Cons:
        • Woofer response is only 65Hz-11Khz. Low bass.
        • Amp I am buying will cost $50.60 Shipped and will only be 30WATTS (I might look further to find a better one for the value)
        • Aluminum DIE Cast Rubber Woofer
        • Don't have any reviews for Mixing(Reference monitor use of these)

KRK VXT4 Pros:
        • Confirmed decent reference quality.
        • 56hz-22Khz Basically Full-range. Good bass.
        • Cool Design - Kevlar woven woofer\Silk Dome NEO Tweeter.
        • Pre-built.
        • Would have saved me 40 hours of research or $300 cash.

KRK VXT4 Cons:
        • $333.98 more expensive than the ZMV5. (As a pair, if I deducted the Router, Jasper Circle Guide, and LCR Meter)
        • No brag rights
        • Don't match my room color
        • 30W Amp
        • Unable to tell what crossover components were used.
        • Unable to tell what interior stuffing was used
        • No charts showing freq responses.
        • The time getting the money would have been spent by working for a restaurant or radio shack. (not too bad)

Comment

• Undefinition
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Dougie085
          Those amps aren't better. This is what I've been trying to tell you a studio monitor is a complete package and it's kind of hard to beat the value.
          I agree with Dougie here. The Alesis monitors I mentioned earlier are internally biamped. I paid $400 for the pair several years ago; they're down to $300 a pair now. Since they include the amp + active electronics, and they're pretty well-made, they're probably a better deal than DIY. There are a whole bunch of active 2-way monitors on the market right now. Here's a quick list:

They're not all great, but there are definitely a few that I would use without fear. Not that I need to qualify my opinion, but I used to be a composer/sound engineer for a video game developer, so I have used studio monitors professionally.

Regarding "hidden costs of DIY" (read: tools) DIY speakers does have an initial investment in tools. You should be able to get by with a circular saw, a drill, and a router. Borrow these if you don't have them.
          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
          Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

There are some Mackie 8" biamped active monitors you can get for ~500 for a pair. I believe they are some of the pretty good monitors. I just really don't think what you are planning is going to get you to where you want to be. Those little amps aren't worth much of anything and probably aren't going to sound great at all.

Comment

• Undefinition
              • Dec 2006

Just thought of something...

Let's say you went with a DIY monitor, you still need an amp (and, no not one of those little kits) A good amp to drive studio monitors would be something like the venerable Alesis RA-100

They don't make that model anymore, but a lot of studios are selling them on eBay for a great price. Alesis has newer models in that line, and Behringer has made their own "copies" of them. Otherwise, you'll want to find just a decent quality receiver with low THD and as high of a S/N ratio as you can find. There are always people selling these used, as well as some refurb shops a lot of forum members like.
              Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
              Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

A pair of KRK V4II V for $260

Earn 8% in rewards w/free Backstage Pass membership on all pro audio equipment from signal processors to lighting & stage effects to headphones and software.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Personally I'm not trying to talk you out of DIY but I just feel that commercial offerings for the studio monitor market is quite a bit different then the home theater market. They are designed differently and are actually designed quite a bit better in the cheaper end of the spectrum.

Comment

• kizm0
                    • Jul 2009

This is a DIY forum, not a convince other people to buy commercial products forum right?

I'm building the ZMV5s. Thanks and goodbye.

I'll post a build-log of it.

For now, I'm in FL on vacation

Comment

• Bastek
                      • Apr 2008

Don't forget to say goodbye to the other 4 diy forums with the same thread title. :roll:

Comment

• kizm0
                        • Jul 2009

If you were trying to make me look stupid for asking more than one place for support, then you just made your self look stupid and strange at the same time.

Who keeps track of posts other people make on several forums? Then tries to humiliate somebody for doing it?

I don't know what you were thinking but, try and be a good person.

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

We do because it happens all the time. You made this thread asking for advice and what would be better, we tell you the better approach is probably to just buy speakers. You already said you aren't really building them just to build them but because you think they will be better for less money which you already figured out it's not less money and we've told you chances are you can at the very least get something equal without building. If you don't want advice you probably shouldn't have made a post asking for it.

Secondly you do not need to make multiple posts, if someone doesn't answer your first thread they certainly aren't going to answer when you are being obnoxious and making multiple threads. This forum is great about responding to threads but when it's abused you're going to get called out on it.

Some of the people that have offered you suggestions here have many many many years of experience in the audio world both commercial and DIY. You've basically told them they are wrong or at least ignored their suggestions which isn't really any smarter. Build the ZMV5's they are a great speaker I don't doubt although with the amps you've chosen they will probably under perform more then anything.

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by kizm0
                            Who keeps track of posts other people make on several forums?
                            Lots of people follow numerous forums. For example...

From your thread on DIY Audio....
                            Some pessimists were trying to convince me that buying commercial speakers will be a better deal. They started to do this after I said that I was mostly building the speakers because it saves money. lol
                            We'll end this nonsense now. Thread closed.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"